Questions about freelancing

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Anihime
Deviantart: AnimeFanatic02

Questions about freelancing

#1 Post by Anihime »

I'm new to this forum and want to do freelancing as a writer. The only problem is, I don't know how freelancing works. ^^;;

For example:

-What does it mean to be a freelance writer?
-What should I expect when freelancing?
-Do I need to showcase any prior experience or something more recent?

I don't want to rush into being a freelance writer without knowing the important details. If anyone has any advice for me, please let me know. It would be very much appreciated. :)

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Questions about freelancing

#2 Post by Donmai »

You can go here: viewforum.php?f=47
for information.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Anihime
Deviantart: AnimeFanatic02

#3 Post by Anihime »

Asked the same question in the writer's area but have not received a response to it yet. If anyone can tell me here- or at least let me know the best place for me to post this topic in- then please let me know.

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

#4 Post by morinoir »

Even though I'm a freelancer myself, I can't really help you since I'm an artist not a writer. But have you tried googling about how to be a freelance writer? I tried it and found a lot of resource that you can read yourself. You can start from there or maybe you can go to another forum for freelance writer that work on creative writing. Best of luck to you!

Kuroi_Usagi
Regular
Projects: AuL, I am Succubus, 74901
Organization: Self
Soundcloud: ragingwhiterabbit
itch: kuroi-usagi.itch.io

#5 Post by Kuroi_Usagi »

Freelance is just a way of saying you're self-employed and/or short-term contract commitment. Anyone can declare themselves as a freelancer in any unlicensed profession, but I'm guessing what you want to know is what it means and what to expect being a self-employed writer?

There's not really a need-to-know thing about freelancing. You can pick up a writing gig off the recruitment page or some other website and you'll be freelancing already. People or parties offering writing opportunities may or may not ask for samples or have you work on a prompt before deciding to work with you. It wouldn't hurt to have samples on hand as it can demonstrate the creative breadth of your writing. It also wouldn't hurt to have some experience, because experience always looks good.

If you're fresh, and I mean fresh and green around the ears to writing and want to pursue some experience, I would suggest searching viewforum.php?f=59

There are a plethora of projects, and for most people, offering your services free is the quickest way to accrue experience for yourself and discover the kinks within your own writing. Also, seek small projects. By small, I mean projects that are well-defined in their goals that can be completed within a reasonably short amount of time. That way, there is little risk of the project failing.

I guess, if I had to give advice from my own experience with freelancing, is to be VERY CLEAR your capability. If the party in question asks you for xxxx amount of words in xxxx amount of days, be sure you can complete it or negotiate a more convenient work schedule. Same goes with pricing your own rates, know your worth. Granted, that usually comes once you've gained enough experience that the quality of your time and efforts means something.

TL;DR:
  • You can freelance right away if you really want.
  • Experience not necessary, but is always good
  • Seek many avenues for greater number of opportunities
  • Don't be afraid to start on very small projects.
  • Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate
  • Don't be greedy, but don't sell yourself short.
"I've always seen failure as a possibility, but never as an option."
Discord: Bunny of Wrath#3201
ImageImageImage

arosia
Regular
Projects: Arosia: an Erotic Storybook for Adults
Tumblr: arosiathegame
itch: nightingaleartstudio

#6 Post by arosia »

If you're going to do freelance work, then you pretty much get to make your own rules.

It's kind of like having your own business. It's great, because you can do whatever fits you; but at the same time, you become responsible for everything, like marketing yourself, and finding work, and negotiating payment and rates and all that stuff.

I would spend a few weeks doing research on all the ways you can do these different things. Pick out what seems right for you, and then adjust as you go (and have good/bad experiences).

Freelance work can be really fun, varied and rewarding, but it's also a lot more complicated than just finding a job somewhere.

Good luck! <3