Awards?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Muffle

Awards?

#1 Post by Muffle »

I see that this community also does events such as Secret Santa and Yuri Game Jam, which is very exciting because I always enjoyed those kinds of forum events!! I was wanting to know if the community here gives out rewards though?

Um, like for example:
Best Graphics & Artwork
Most Interesting Setting
Best Sound & Music
Best Game Titles
Best Storytelling
Best Protagonist/Characters
Best Antagonist/Villains
Best Game Introductions
Best Game Finale (Ending)
Game of the Year

Where people vote for it.. and stuff. ^^

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Awards?

#2 Post by trooper6 »

They used to...trouble it is a lot of work to organize. Someone is excited, they organize it for a couple of years, they lose interest in doing the work and the awards die out. I think that cycle has happened twice now? But you'd have to ask some people who have been around longer than me.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#3 Post by sake-bento »

There used to be official LSF awards (The Lemmys), but the organizer bowed out of the scene a while ago. We have no intentions of hosting official awards anymore, but would be happy to see anyone who wants to run their own.

Muffle

#4 Post by Muffle »

Oh, I see! So it's possible for someone to run their own even if it's not official??

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#5 Post by SundownKid »

I don't see much value in award polls, it ultimately just becomes a popularity contest instead of a judge of quality. For example, I have no doubt Doki Doki Literature Club would win SOMETHING because everyone played it. Similar to how a Zelda or Mario title almost always wins Gamefaqs' "Best Game Ever" poll because everyone knows about it.

You're better off reviewing VNs and creating your own awards, similar to VN's Now. That way it's more interesting to read.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#6 Post by Donmai »

Link to last year's discussion about the topic: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=43152
Link to the last official Lemmy Awards Ceremony: http://lemmasoft.net/lemmys/results2008_0.html
Wow, that was ten years ago.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#7 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

SundownKid wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:07 am I don't see much value in award polls, it ultimately just becomes a popularity contest instead of a judge of quality. For example, I have no doubt Doki Doki Literature Club would win SOMETHING because everyone played it. Similar to how a Zelda or Mario title almost always wins Gamefaqs' "Best Game Ever" poll because everyone knows about it.

You're better off reviewing VNs and creating your own awards, similar to VN's Now. That way it's more interesting to read.
I agree with Sundownkid. I ultimately don't find those types of awards interesting - I don't find them interesting because they often lack context. It is just a list of the games with the most name recognition for the year. The winners of those type of awards tend to simply be the games that sold the most during the year.

I echo the sentiment that I would be more interested in a personal awards list - an article where you rate the VNs you played during the year and went into detail about why you gave each of them an award in the category that you did. That's how I as a reader can discover hidden gems I've overlooked.

Muffle

#8 Post by Muffle »

I see! Thanks for your input, I might do that LateWhiteRabbit ^_^