Renpy Wiki, please come back :-(

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
runs
Regular

Renpy Wiki, please come back :-(

#1 Post by runs »

The old wiki is called outdated and tending to being deleted. Accessing some parts of it causes errors.

But the 'latest' Renpy documentation is still poor and with a lot of gaps. A Wiki format for documentation is the best in my opinion. Collaborative thing should be the right approach. Yes, I know about spam, but it is only an avoidable problem.

Where are a copy of the old wiki? I want it.

runs
Regular

Re: Renpy Wiki, please come back :-(

#2 Post by runs »

For example the documentation about positioning displayables only explains about predefined positions. If you need another positioning, the documentation fails, the only explanation is:
Creators can define their own positions, and event complicated moves, but that's outside of the scope of this quickstart.

The old wiki is clear about custom positions:
https://renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/tutori ... Your_Story

And the same for another essential questions :-(

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

#3 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Wow, a wiki sounds interesting. I can see a lot of advantages to having a format that everyone can add to, I wonder what went wrong last time. This forum has a lot of solutions but its not as polished and organized as a wiki.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Yes, but Position is also massively obsolete, which is why it's no longer documented. (It was replaced by Transform long ago.)

The wiki attracted spam. Lots of spam. So much spam that deleting the spam was getting to be my hobby, rather than working on Ren'Py. If you'd like to make your own wiki, and delete the spam yourself, feel free. But I have better things to do than deal with spam, spam, spam, spammity, spam, spam, spam...
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Black Cat 2412
Regular
Projects: Rapunzel: A classic retold
Deviantart: BlackCat2412

#5 Post by Black Cat 2412 »

A wiki is a great great idea, but it is too good for this world. (Though that make me wonder how other fandom wikis manage to avoid such troll and spam)