Watching a VN Let's Play Versus Playing a VN

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

Watching a VN Let's Play Versus Playing a VN

#1 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

So recently I have been watching a lot of VN let's plays as I find I don't really have the time to play them and I can usually do something else while watching them, but it does raise the question about the best way to enjoy a VN. It makes me wonder if I am missing out on something by not playing the game myself, or am I actually getting more out of it because of the contributions of the creator(s) of the video. Which is the best way to enjoy a VN? Why?

Many LPs have voice acting where the original does not, in addition to commentary, sometimes there may even be voice acting from more than one person. It might be less immersive, particularly if you are doing something else at the same time. On the other hand, actually playing the game gives you greater agency and control over what happens in the story. Maybe it also raises the stakes for you and is more immersive because you need to give it more of your attention. Perhaps there are other benefits too.

Which do you prefer and why? Does anyone else watch a lot of VN Let's Plays?
Last edited by ComputerArt.Club on Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: Watching a VN Let's Play's Versus Playing a VN

#2 Post by Mammon »

I prefer to play them myself most of the time, as I read them a lot faster than usual people. Although that does come with the disadvantage that once things get slow or boring, that I start skipping so fast that I can't read it and thus end up not finishing the VN at all. Then again, I'd probably wouldn't like it if I would remain calm and keep soldiering through either.

I have no problem with LP's, but only if they're of a leetsplayer I already know, to whose voice I got used to and who I know I can stand to listen to. I'm not going to look for a VN LP if I want to play a VN but don't want to buy/read/click through it. I just see it pop up in my youtube list and watch it, and I don't have a lot of subscriptions to LP'ers of VN (or LP'ers in general).

So, I share your opinion of being given a narrator (one that can comment on the story too and who doesn't need to be perfect in their voice acting) and that you don't have to click yourself. In the case of non-Ren'py VNs that last one is a particular advantage for replays when you can't skip through. And for partly VN RPGs that come with grinding mechanics that I'm not a fan of (the LP VNs I mostly listen to). It does allow for you to appreciate the story at the pace at which it's supposed to be read, and it allows you to share the story with at least one other person if not their whole community. So I'd say that LP'ers are the better option, but one you shouldn't seek out rather than find and enjoy on their work rather than the VNs you want to play. Longer VNs are probably going to require you to find a LP'er specifically for those, though, with most LP'ers you shouldn't expect them to play VNs that are either longer or less popular, they're going to play the short and thing-of-the-week thing. And if they're not completionists while you are, tough luck.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Plk_Lesiak

Re: Watching a VN Let's Play's Versus Playing a VN

#3 Post by Plk_Lesiak »

I would only watch a let's play of a VN that I don't want to buy for some reason (for example, I'd rather watch a LP of a Sakura game than give my money to Winged Cloud - I made the sole exception for Sakura Dungeon) or one that I want to see another time after finishing it, to see a different perspective on it or check for things I might've missed (did that with DDLC lately). Other than that, I don't really like reading through a VN with someone else's narration or in someone else's pace. Plus if there are choices, I really hate having no control obver that. :]