Is there a Visual Novel where the MC is the Love Rival?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
sheilaanderson

Is there a Visual Novel where the MC is the Love Rival?

#1 Post by sheilaanderson »

I don't know if this is the right Category to post this here. If not, then I'll take it down.

Just as the title says, I'm quite interested to know if there is a Visual Novel where the MC is the Love Rival or Antagonist of the 'Supposed' MC of the game?

I just read a light novel where a girl transmigrated (or was transported) to a game, and much to her surprise, she was placed in a body of the original Antagonist of said Otome Game. Now, she's doing everything she can to avoid the 'Destruction' End.

I'm very interested in these kinds of plot because majority of the Otome games, or let's just say, Visual games, usually have a Mary Sue MC that has wonderful stuff happening, and boys are falling over her left and right. Don't get me wrong, I also like those games, but yeah, it's really fun to read or play a game where it's ALL BACKWARDS. Like, the MC is the Love Rival of the Template MC.

Again, if this is not the right category for this kind of thread, then I'll take this down then post this in the right place.

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

Re: Is there a Visual Novel where the MC is the Love Rival?

#2 Post by runeraccoon »

Haha! This is quite a popular trope in light novels catered to girls. I'm happy that someone raised this issue here. I'd love to read/play it as well, if there's any!

I've planned to make a BL version, where a guy is transported into the love rival/antagonist's brother's body. He got to interact with the rest of the cast, and.. well, yeah, you got the gist. Dunno when I'll be starting to make it though.

The complicated part is how you have to make 2 completely different stories. As if writing one isn't hard enough, you have to make the completely different variation of the original. Especially if the people MC's interacting with is different cast than the original. XD

I'm happy to be able to discuss this with someone else, nice to see you! Welcome to the forum!

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Is there a Visual Novel where the MC is the Love Rival?

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

There was a similar thread about two years ago. One thing which I didn't clearly mention back in June 2016: in the first two Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side games, the protagonist can meet up to four female friends. Depending on how she develops relationships with potential male love interests, the protagonist can become a love rival with one of her friends.
sheilaanderson wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:33 pm... majority of the Otome games, or let's just say, Visual games, usually have a Mary Sue MC that has wonderful stuff happening, and boys are falling over her left and right.
I read Heart de Roommate (not safe for work) almost fifteen years ago. I enjoyed it. However, there are several reasons why I wouldn't recommend it now. One of them is that the story's protagonist Yusuke doesn't express much of a personality, but at least three heroines are interested in him. If I recall correctly, Yusuke is not rich, famous, skilled, charismatic, or attractive. Since he does not put much effort into attracting the heroines, I would consider him a boring self-insertion character.

I started reading Code Realize last year, and I've been meaning to finish at least one route. The story's protagonist Cardia starts out not understanding how to interact with other people. The story shows that she has a supernatural power, and it quickly becomes clear why people would be interested in her. She grows as a character and learns to care about people. The heroes that she interacts with also have a reasonable number of flaws. That said, as of this writing, I am not sure that the story justifies why she can form a relationship with one of five heroes...