Newbie VN reccomendation quiz

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
BunnyAdvocate
Regular
Tumblr: BunnyAdvocate

Newbie VN reccomendation quiz

#1 Post by BunnyAdvocate »

In collaboration with Fuwanovel, I've been working on a little VN recommendation site that'll ask you for your genre preferences/platform/protag gender and then give you a list of recommended VNs. To work out which VNs the community think are best for newbies, I created a little sorter quiz (where you're shown a pair of VNs and asked which is more newbie friendly).

There's a ton of great EVNs so it'd be great to have them represented on the site. So if you're interested in voting, you can do so on the sorting quiz here. You can also see the full list of VNs here. If there are some VNs you think we really should have included, let me know asap and I can add them to the list.

I hope you enjoy the quiz!

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

Re: Newbie VN reccomendation quiz

#2 Post by Morhighan »

I appear to be running into an issue when I click the first link:

But I otherwise look forward to seeing this in action. :)

BunnyAdvocate
Regular

#3 Post by BunnyAdvocate »

Oh that's really odd Morhighan, I wonder how that happened. It seems to be working for me. Can you try it again please as perhaps I was in the middle of updating the file when that happened?

Alternatively, try this url that'll skip past the intro phase: http://bunnyadvocate.x10host.com/rank/rank.php (Remember to recheck the "include EVNs" checkbox if you follow the direct link).

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#4 Post by trooper6 »

I started...but the first 4/5 rounds were all JVNs...and I haven’t played any besides Phoenix Wright. So I feel unqualified to participate in the quiz.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#5 Post by Donmai »

trooper6 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:02 am So I feel unqualified to participate in the quiz.
Same here. But, as soon as I read that the quiz is based on VNDB data, I understood it wasn't for me.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

BunnyAdvocate
Regular

#6 Post by BunnyAdvocate »

Donmai wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:25 am
trooper6 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:02 am So I feel unqualified to participate in the quiz.
Same here. But, as soon as I read that the quiz is based on VNDB data, I understood it wasn't for me.
There are a ton of EVNs in there, it's just that there are a lot of JVNs too. I just added a filter option on it so you can be shown ONLY EVNs from now on.

BunnyAdvocate
Regular

#7 Post by BunnyAdvocate »

Thank you to everyone who voted. We're up to 17k votes at the moment, and the newbie ranking looks great, with a nice mix of otomes, EVNs, and JVNs. I'll be posting the results in around a week, once I'm sure the last voters are finished.

The next stage is to generate a website for the results, where users can enter their genre preferences and the like. While I'm adequate for an amateur, I'm not a professional web designer, so if there's any experts out there who would care to offer some input, please get in touch. I'd love to talk with you.

BunnyAdvocate
Regular

#8 Post by BunnyAdvocate »

I just wanted to give a quick thank you to everyone who voted in the quiz and contacted me with VNs to add to it! We've ended up with a wonderfully diverse selection of VNs, with plenty of otomes and EVNs near the top of the list that normally get buried under JVNs. Our VN site is almost finished, we just have to vet the data to make sure there aren't any errors or gaps and we should be done in about a week.

Here's a little preview of the main site (with a big shout out to Emi at Fuwanovel for her visual design of the site):