Japanese themed BL

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
AcieCheshire

Japanese themed BL

#1 Post by AcieCheshire »

Hello dear fellows,
I wanted to start discussion about this for a while. Whats your opinion on Japanese themed visual novels BxB? Featuring yokai, all sort of spirits. I think It has quite a potential but there are so many games with this theme Its hard to come up with something new and intetesting haha. Let me know below!! :D

High
Regular

Re: Japanese themed BL

#2 Post by High »

I don't really have an opinion on Japanese inspired VNs. You seem a little worried your novel might be derivative and I don't think you should be. You've admitted yourself you see a lot of potential in the theme. You should just go a head and Do It! What are you waiting for? :wink:

Dovahkitteh
Veteran
Completed: YDD, RE, CoB, Req
Projects: Red Embrace: Hollywood, The Black Hand
Organization: Argent Games
Tumblr: argentgames
itch: argent-games

Re: Japanese themed BL

#3 Post by Dovahkitteh »

I agree with High--you should do whatever interests you the most, especially if it's an amateur project and you're making it just for fun.

That said, there are a huge amount of Japanese-inspired VNs both BL and non-BL, and as a player and dev of both, I much prefer to see original content and settings. It's really been done to death--especially by Japanese devs themselves, who are pretty hard to beat at their own game. Doing something original is more challenging, but it's also a lot easier to stand out and distinguish your creativity.

Writer, Programmer, Designer

Programming/Design Commissions

Image Image