Help Looking for a VN

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Answerless

Help Looking for a VN

#1 Post by Answerless »

Hi there! I hope this is the appropriate place to ask this...

I remember a while back downloading a demo to sci-fi themed VN, but for the life of me I can't remember the name or find it in my files. I liked it a lot though, and remember a lot of specific things, so I'm hoping some of this will ring a bell...Pretty sure is was GxB.

-Main character was a (orphan?) girl who played as a dude in a virtual game. Reason being, girls were banned from playing. It's possible to feel pain in in this virtual game, and it was done tournament style, one vs. one. Girl was part of a fictional minority group that's not treated well; the game is one of the few ways people could make cash. She joins a tournament hosted by the company who makes the game in order to get the grand prize, which is either a wish or a large sum of cash.

-Outside of games, people could make avatars and have online chats, too

-There's a sort of a liberation/empowerment group for this girl's people, which is mostly just online. She meets a member of them somehow-I think they're competing in the same tournament? And she is concerned about how guilds made of her people online are slowly disappearing.

-Spoilers but it's revealed the company that made the game basically destroyed and poisoned the water on the island this girl's people originally came from, making them refugees forced to flee to the city in the first place. The water has had a strange effect on the islander people; it's made them able to attune to the virtual game better, making them faster and stronger than non-islander players.

A couple characters I remember:
- girl's one non-islander friend from school, only one from the mainland to not treat her badly
- A guy and girl in the liberation/empowerment group. Their base was underground in the sewers.
-The son of the CEO who made the game. Doesn't like his own father and wishes to work with the protag to take down his father. Described as weird and crazy. Played/used a female avatar.

This is all I remember at the moment. Hope someone else played this and recognizes what I'm talking about. Thank you!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Help Looking for a VN

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Its possible you still have save files from the game, even if you uninstalled it.

Are you on Windows?
If yes, you could do the following which may help. (exact method varies slightly between Windows versions. Instructions below are for Windows 10, but any other version of Windows is only a minor difference, usually.)

Press the Window key and press R
type

Code: Select all

%appdata%
and hit enter

Open the folder named "RenPy"

In this folder is all the save files for all your RenPy games. In it, might be the name of the game you're looking for.
The RenPy folder may be just for the launcher though, in which case, look anywhere in %appdata%
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#3 Post by parttimestorier »

Could it be </reality> or Period Cube? I haven't read either of those yet so I might be totally wrong, but they both seem to have female protagonists and plots that revolve around some kind of virtual reality.
ImageImageImage

Answerless

#4 Post by Answerless »

In this folder is all the save files for all your RenPy games. In it, might be the name of the game you're looking for.
The RenPy folder may be just for the launcher though, in which case, look anywhere in %appdata%
Imperf3kt thank you so much, I was able to find it thanks to your method. The VN demo I was looking for was Tranquil Tempest on itch.io. I must have downloaded and played it while not logged into my account. I've added it to my collection now, so I shouldn't lose it again.

parttimestorier thank you for helping as well! I'm so glad I came here and asked. Best wishes to you both!