Introducing and Describing a new Character[solved]

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
henloanyone

Introducing and Describing a new Character[solved]

#1 Post by henloanyone »

On some VNs I played whenever there's a new character being introduced, the game shows the character sprite from bottom to top while describing the character's characteristics. I'm pretty new at using Ren'Py so basic codes are all I know and I wouldn't want to introduce a character by simply just showing an image

Please help!
Last edited by henloanyone on Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

arty
Regular
Completed: White Monday
Projects: HATE is a 4 Letter Word
Organization: KATHARSIS ART
itch: artys-games

Re: Introducing and Describing a new Character

#2 Post by arty »

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly. Please give us a concrete question, then we can try to answer/help.

henloanyone

#3 Post by henloanyone »

arty wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:42 am I'm not sure what you're asking exactly. Please give us a concrete question, then we can try to answer/help.
I'm sorry ahahah. I'll try to explain it as easy as I can.

Basically, I want to show a character where the camera angle starts from the bottom going upwards.

It's like when you look at a person you first look at their feet, the chest and then their face.

arty
Regular

#4 Post by arty »

I see.
The people in this area of the forum may be able to help you better: viewforum.php?f=8
The basic idea how to do this is also explained in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=32490

henloanyone

#5 Post by henloanyone »

arty wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:28 pm I see.
The people in this area of the forum may be able to help you better: viewforum.php?f=8
The basic idea how to do this is also explained in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=32490
I see.

Thank you very much!
I have been looking for this since last month and you helped me stop from giving up on this one.
Really, thanks!

arty
Regular

#6 Post by arty »

No problem. Good luck with your game!

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#7 Post by Katy133 »

Personally, I prefer introducing characters the way you do in a film or television series. They enter the scene, have a Character Establishing Moment to show the player what the character is like, and the plot continues on to the next scene.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

henloanyone

#8 Post by henloanyone »

Katy133 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:17 pm Personally, I prefer introducing characters the way you do in a film or television series. They enter the scene, have a Character Establishing Moment to show the player what the character is like, and the plot continues on to the next scene.
I thought about that too but it wouldn't suit the way on how the story would progress.

I was aiming to make a boring looping game where I want the player to feel what it's like to live a life where nothing changes. Patience is needed and I want the player to persevere through the loop till he/she reach the twist.

Your advice is appreciated. I will be sure keep it in mind and use it to my future games.

Thank you. :D