How do I work with other people on a project?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
forbidden101v

How do I work with other people on a project?

#1 Post by forbidden101v »

So I'm a learning programmer with a little bit of music composition and writing experience. Thing is I'm still really bad at art. I mean drawing really simple stuff is doable for me but drawing people or anything like that and I'm pretty much doomed in that regard still. Around valentines day I was working on a project called Naofumis Birthday Present and things were going well with both the programming and script writing until I made an attempt at trying to draw the sprites for the characters and my dreams of completing this project were crushed in an instant when I realized just how bad I'm at drawing still. :cry:

So realizing that I currently can't do everything on my own I've considered getting an artist to work with me but that comes with its own set of problems. I can't afford to commission an artist as I currently don't earn enough from my day job. I think it's fair to assume most artists won't bother working on a project that will net them nothing unless they are extremely passionate about it. I've considered working on it more by finishing up the script, programming, and making some UI adjustments to give it a refreshing unique feel then post it on free projects in hopes that an artist would be interested in doing the art for the project but I honestly think thats wishful thinking there. This project will be nsfw so it really only becomes harder considering theres quite a few artists who don't do nsfw art. I also don't wanna end up having to do a ton of work only for me to have to throw it in the vault and finish it up whenever I can afford an artist or can actually draw decent. What do you guys think I should do? I'm really at a loss here.

arty
Regular
Completed: White Monday
Projects: HATE is a 4 Letter Word
Organization: KATHARSIS ART
itch: artys-games

Re: How do I work with other people on a project?

#2 Post by arty »

You already mentioned your solution: Wait until you can afford paying an artist. Would you offer your programming and music for free? Art is hard to work, and only very few artists can afford to work for free. They too have to pay bills. They too have to pay programmers and musicians if they can't do these things themselves.

You didn't mention if your project is commercial, but especially with commercial projects I doubt anyone will agree to work for free only to have their work monetized.

If you are confident that you will find someone who is willing to work for free however, you could try posting/looking in this area of the forum: viewforum.php?f=58

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

Re: How do I work with other people on a project?

#3 Post by parttimestorier »

You could try putting your current project on the backburner for a while and working on some less complex, shorter stuff that you can use creative commons art for. That might help you establish yourself as a developer with a bit of experience, and get involved in the community more, while you save up a bit to commission someone for your bigger project. Game jams like nanoreno, yuri jam, and yaoi jam are great for starting out.
ImageImageImage