Simple poll best job career

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.

Which is the best computer career to go into?

Electronics
7%
Programming
67%
Networking
20%
Computer business management
7%

Total votes: 15

PixelWrangler
Regular

#16 Post by PixelWrangler »

Megaman Z wrote:
PixelWrangler wrote:P.P.P.S. - [text... that's not what I'm getting at -MMZ]
"P.P.P.S."? "Post-Post-Post script"? that's a new one for me...
You learn something new every day, ne? ;)
Megaman Z wrote:
PixelWrangler (again...) wrote:Just my two shiny copper coins.
you? giving up on mathematical (sp?) ways of saying two cents?!? *passes out*
Well, actually, I usually look for new and interesting ways of saying "two cents"... not really a pattern, per se... but, if you insist...

Just my square root of half of two-fifths of four times one twentieth of a dollar's worth.

There you go. :)

P.W.

P.S. - You spelled "mathematical" correctly.

P.P.S. - You win the super-special spelling prize.

P.P.P.S. - The store ran out of super-special spelling prizes. And now for...

P.P.P.P.S. - Just a bit on the ludicrous side, ne? Kind of like "You think that I think that you think that I think that you think that I don't know what you're going to say, don't you?"

P.P.P.P.P.S. - ENOUGH WITH THE POST-SCRIPTS!

P.P.P.*WHOMP*

[END TRANSMISSION]
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.
Then it's a whole lot softer.

darkknight
Veteran

#17 Post by darkknight »

ok here we go...thanks for the info...

Programming is only a fad in my opinion...soon enough it will not look interesting...

Programming is fun as a hobby but as a career it is not fun at all.

Most companies will force you to program in what language they want you to use...
You wont get to program what you want...

you will get a script or a chart and be told program this in three days..
if it is wrong do it again..

how does this seem fun..

also, you seem to think networking is about only wires...networking involves all form of software...so if there is software...there will need network people to "hold peoples hands" and fix problems

i just want a simple reason why PROGRAMMING!!!
most people avoid the answer and not give it much thinking...they just say "its fun"

its not like making a game you sit at a computer and program what they tell you in what language they tell you...not to mention...their is "NO" change...you are a programmer and that is it
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#18 Post by chronoluminaire »

I'm sorry you feel that way. Some of the restrictions you mention are correct: that you get told what to program and usually what to program it in. But, you know, that's fun too. Often there are opportunities to exercise your own personal style. Very often there are problem-solving tasks. It's often challenging, but often that's the kind of challenging that's fun, not the kind that makes you bash your head against a brick wall.

Is your objection theoretical or practical, darkknight? I could answer your theoretical claims ("only a fad in my opinion...soon enough it will not look interesting") with theorising of my own, for example about the way computers are amongst the most complex things humanity has created and it's fascinating to be able to create the logic that goes on underneath. Or I could echo others' comments about the new tools that make programming easier needing programmers themselves.

But if the problem is with the practical side - whether it's fun or not - then I'd say look back at the comments... Most of us who said programming actually said "I think programming is the most fun, but you do what you enjoy the most". The world needs people skilled in all of the options (even business management), and people like different things. So please don't interpret these results as saying "You should go into programming", or even "Programming is the most fun". It's "We feel programming is the most fun, but you go into what you feel is the most fun".

darkknight
Veteran

#19 Post by darkknight »

Thanks i think you are one of the only people who gave me anything REAL to use...i feel that if i argue with people i get better reactions...i really want to know why it is fun and why you would make a career out of it
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

RedSlash
Veteran

#20 Post by RedSlash »

i just want a simple reason why PROGRAMMING!!!
Programming is NOT fun. Here's what you are entailed:

It is too challenging and dynamic. Programming is only fun as a hobby, I assure you that. Programming is getting easier and soon pre-teens will be able to program? Think again! Programming becomes less fun once you realize that programming isn't the only thing you need to know how to do. Programming may be easy but problem solving, algorithms, and math are here to stay. As a hobbiest, you get to program an application, it works! No Worries! Fun! In the real world, the employer now require you to think fast, be proficient in that dreaded mathematics that you've always hated, adapt to new technologies, and be flexible. You need to read all the psychotic 50 page research papers to understand an algorithm that you'll need to implement. You'll need to be able to make a program efficient, properly document code that you never did in your hobbiest programs, write massive documentation, and test for errors.

In your job, you must make sure your code is flexible, modularized, and tidy. Why? Because your boss is in constant demand of changes. You will never code an application properly the first time because once you finish, there will be more changes. And if you fail to do the above, you will probably end up rewriting the entire application just to incorporate one change. Having the skill to write flexible code only minimizes the work you need to do.

While on work, you will find yourself falling asleep, but struggling to keep your eyes open so it looks like you're working. You'll be banging your head because you can't think of an appropriate solution to the problem your are having. You will be stressed because your boss is asking you to do the impossible.

Furthur to speak, you think you will be assigned to programming 1 application? Think again. You'll be programming 1 / 1000th of an application. Not only that, you have 10 of either overly competant programmers who will yell at you for being uncompetant, or uncompetant programmers who will produce unreadable code for you to modify. Not only that, you must learn how to use source control software, debuggers, project management tool, write UML diagrams, etc, stuff that doesn't even involve programming.

As a tester, you need to program test cases. You have to cover all corners and edges! You can't miss a spot or you're in big trouble! As a hobbiest, you never have to worry about these things because your life is not on the line. You live in constant fear that you'll cause a bug that'll cost the company millions of $$$ in loses.

As an interface programmer, you are not just responsible for programming the interface, you are responsible for designing it, an making the interface user-friendly. You don't make the user-interface to what YOU think is good, you make it to what OTHERS think is good. Failure to do so will cost you your job.

As an embedded systems programmer, your task is not to only build the application. The application now has new requirements to be compact and fast. What? I'm not allowed to use the brand new languages that make programming 10x easier so that elementry school kids know how to use it, but I must go back to the basics and program in C and futhermore ASM?
Then they tell you to define a function that prints hello 'count' times. You quickly code it up:

Code: Select all

void print_hello(int count) {
  int i;
  for(i = 0; i < count; i++) printf("hello\n");
}
Then they fire you because you code wasn't efficient enough. The correct answer to the problem is:

void print_hello(int count) {
  int n = (count + 7) / 8; 
  switch(count & 7){ 
    case 0: do{ printf("hello\n");
    case 7: printf("hello\n");
    case 6: printf("hello\n"); 
    case 5: printf("hello\n"); 
    case 4: printf("hello\n"); 
    case 3: printf("hello\n"); 
    case 2: printf("hello\n"); 
    case 1: printf("hello\n"); 
                }while(--n>0); 
    } 
}
Then you say, what?? That actually compiles? Yes, yes it does. They didn't teach that to you in jr-high did they?

Then you become a web programmer. They ask you to design a simple php template for a website. You come up with an idea to use one php page as the template and include the body content through a filename passed by 'get' variable to include a page to display. You decide include the page like this:

include($_GET['page']);
They fire you because of a security issue if someone passed 'index.php?page=/etc/passwd' they would be able to get access to your system files. Then you get smart, and tack on an extension to your filename.

include($_GET['page'] . ".inc");
They still fire you because the attacker now passes 'index.php?page=/etc/passwd%00' completely thwarting your little efforts. As a hobbiest programmer, do you ever think of these things? Well you you want a career as a programmer, you better start thinking.

Everything I described above, although exaggerated, is spoken from my experience in this field. Everyday for me is a constant challenge, never know what to expect. Depite all of the experiences above, I still enjoy it. Why? Because I just like it (<- This is the answer to your question). Am I bored? Sometimes. But once I got something going, I can not stop. In real life, most jobs aren't fun. They're just routine work, same things you do day after day after day. What is important is that you pick a career in something that you really like. Because that makes the whole difference between whether you'll enjoy your job or not.

Good luck!
Last edited by RedSlash on Thu May 12, 2005 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#21 Post by Megaman Z »

RedSlash wrote:[really long post that I'm not gonna quote because it would effectively double the length of the page...]
first off, nice to have you back.

remotely OT>>that... would really be nice to copy and turn in to my programming teacher for him to spend some quality time reading...
~Kitsune Zeta

darkknight
Veteran

#22 Post by darkknight »

REDSLASH!!!!! thank you!!!!

You really dont think in 20 years that preteens can program...

I am also a programmer my friend "dont let that slip out" and programming is very rewarding "at the end"
and when they force you to debug for other people it can be the most difficult thing ever!!!!

you are giving me great information...

RedSlash
Veteran

#23 Post by RedSlash »

Megaman>
Yep, I'm back. Been busy with projects, still reading the board now and then.

Darknight>
I wanted to point out that there is much more to programming in a career than just being able to program. If you have the passion for programming and are prepared to accept the many challenges of it, then programming is the field for you.

darkknight
Veteran

#24 Post by darkknight »

redslash...i hate programming hahaha

I know how to...but i dont like it

I a a networker...well a wanna-be networker