Your first version of Ren'Py!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Yomuchan
Regular
Projects: Codename: NSD!
Organization: Forkheads
IRC Nick: Yomu
Deviantart: Yomuchan
itch: yomuchan.itch.io

Re: Your first version of Ren'Py!

#16 Post by Yomuchan »

Kokoro Hane wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:06 pm I thought it'd be fun to talk about where we all began. Do you remember which version of Ren'Py you started using when you entered the visual novel dev community?
Renpy 5.5.0 for me.

I was still using RPGMaker back then.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#17 Post by wyverngem »

Eh, sometime in 2004 I want to say. I was under age so I couldn't join the forum, but I used the program to make a small games with my friends.

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#18 Post by Morhighan »

I can't recall what the exact first one was since I kept just lurking and not actually doing anything with Ren'Py, but I think the first game I released was sometime after I downloaded 6.11.2 and then updated it to 6.13 to release the game in late September 2011.

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Silent Column Demo, Memory Mage
Projects: The Silent Column, A Lily from the Lightless Water, A Castle on an Island
Deviantart: SelLillianna
itch: SelLillianna

#19 Post by SelLi »

I don't remember the first version of Ren'Py that I used, but I do remember often working on projects that were the - at the time default - 800x600. I remember a long time ago, I did a commission for a client who wanted unique images falling from above the top of the screen to bellow the bottom of the screen endlessly, and I did it for them, but they were actually updating Ren'Py and their default resolution was bigger so they were like "can it go across the whole screen?" lol
I didn't realize why my resolution was smaller, I assumed they just manually changed theirs, so I asked them what theirs was and then changed my resolution to it without updating. I completed the commission and they were happy, but after I finished it I noticed that I could have just updated Ren'Py and started a new default project. XD lol

IronIrid

#20 Post by IronIrid »

I don't know what version it was, but I think it was 2004-2006 that I first found and started to use Ren'Py (just for my own fun though) I didn't know much and didn't really know there was much of community surrounding it back then. Throughout the years kept coming back to it, learning bits of code here and there, and only the past year or so have I be seriously learning more about the code side of it. Before that I had never even touched the screens, that was too scary. xD

I used to use RPG maker as well, just to make games for myself, but Ren'Py always felt more magical to me, and helped me a lot though hard times.