If your VN was an anime/cartoon

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Poketto Kunoichi
Regular

If your VN was an anime/cartoon

#1 Post by Poketto Kunoichi »

If one day, a random studio that you like sent you a letter saying they wanted to animate your VN into a TV series, how would you react? What rating (such as G, TV14, Y7...) would you give your VN, and would you tweak things a little? Which ending would you pick to be shown on TV? Would you be extremely picky with everything, or be laid back? How about the opening? How many episodes? Would you even want your VN to be animated and shown on TV?

I would freak out since mine is going to be a crossover of two different anime. It would probably be rated TV14 for mature themes, and I wouldn't tweak much really. I would have them animate all the endings and show a diff one each airing. xD Yes, I'd be picky with everything, especially the voice actors. I might probably resort to just no voice acting xD I would like the opening to be all lighthearted and stuff. I'm not sure about the eps, but maybe 50 or so? And yes I would love to see it on TV :P

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: If your VN was an anime/cartoon

#2 Post by LVUER »

Poketto Kunoichi wrote:If one day, a random studio that you like sent you a letter saying they wanted to animate your VN into a TV series, how would you react? What rating (such as G, TV14, Y7...) would you give your VN, and would you tweak things a little? Which ending would you pick to be shown on TV? Would you be extremely picky with everything, or be laid back? How about the opening? How many episodes? Would you even want your VN to be animated and shown on TV?

I would freak out since mine is going to be a crossover of two different anime. It would probably be rated TV14 for mature themes, and I wouldn't tweak much really. I would have them animate all the endings and show a diff one each airing. xD Yes, I'd be picky with everything, especially the voice actors. I might probably resort to just no voice acting xD I would like the opening to be all lighthearted and stuff. I'm not sure about the eps, but maybe 50 or so? And yes I would love to see it on TV :P
Usually, you (as the VN developer) doesn't really need to give much attention to the anime. You only need to give an OK (and receive royalty fee or whatever it's called). Except if you want to take some control (like quality control or something). Perhaps to make sure the anime quality won't suffer and degrade your VN.

How much episode, the rating, etc, etc... is usually the studio concern and you won't need to be involved in any of it.

(This is all information I get from reading 'mangaka corner' from mangaka/comic book author whose manga have been made into anime and/or video games)

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#3 Post by Samu-kun »

I would actually believe that Haruhi exists in heaven if Sunrise ever animated Sunrider. And then I would leap through space. In a gundam.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#4 Post by Vatina »

Seeing Angelic Orbs as an anime.... ah, what a nice dream *_*

Kuzlalala
Regular
Projects: New Dynamic English: The Tour

#5 Post by Kuzlalala »

Poketto Kunoichi wrote:If one day, a random studio that you like sent you a letter saying they wanted to animate your VN into a TV series, how would you react? What rating (such as G, TV14, Y7...) would you give your VN, and would you tweak things a little? Which ending would you pick to be shown on TV? Would you be extremely picky with everything, or be laid back? How about the opening? How many episodes? Would you even want your VN to be animated and shown on TV?
If FFTA2: A Bride of Montblanc gets to be an anime, they should ask Square Enix, first. And if they allow, I'll make it PG-12 for slight romantic scenes. The ending would depend on Square Enix. :mrgreen:

I guess that's all then. :)

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#6 Post by azureXtwilight »

Duh, I wish. :roll:
But I don't want it to be long and ended up having many fillers, of course. :mrgreen:

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by lepapillonrouge »

azure:Maybe it could be one of those 24 episodes anime.

As for me, if Ashes of Memory was an anime, it'd be a 12 episode one, and it would be drawn by Kyoto Animation! Nah, just kidding. It would have a peaceful opening and a moe ending...because I said so. :3

And if got really popular, there would be figures of Mari and Sanae for sale~
deviantART
---------------------

Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran
Completed: Case of the missing bracelet, Case of the mysterious stalker
Projects: Horror/fantasy
Organization: Kaboyashi Square

#8 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

If such a thing did happen I would be pleased and if it became a huge success in the anime world I would be on tv "Yea that's right I made the vn!" but if it sucked I'd have to deny I knew anything about the production. :twisted:

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#9 Post by Sapphi »

Oh man.
I'm thinking my visual novel would actually make a decently good show, provided someone other than me came up with the material. It's of the Unwanted Harem subgenre, with lots of different personalities crammed into one house and/or circumstance. There's an otaku girl, who would probably supply most of the jokes. Actually, the MC, who is native to Indiana USA, lives near a Little Tokyo in a California city somewhere, so there would be lots of opportunity for poking fun at Japanese culture through American eyes. All in all, it would be a show targeted for a niche, but that's okay, because it makes things more fun.

I wouldn't be horribly picky, as long as they kept everyone in character, didn't make drastic stylistic or design changes to the art (at least without my approval) and DIDN'T INSERT A LOT OF FREAKING FANSERVICE. At least not of the sexual nature. I hate that.

For the opening, I'd probably want it done in Japanese.
Not because I'm obsessed with Japan, but because it honestly does sound cuter.
And it would be a freaking show about catgirls, so it's gotta have a cute theme. ^_^

Anyway, after the game is out, I plan on making a ton of comics (probably just 4-koma) for it, and that's close enough to a show, so I'm good. ^_^
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

uluuu
Regular
Projects: Half Past Never

#10 Post by uluuu »

I would probably wonder who is sending me fake letters and why. And then get a terrible headache. Maybe not in that order.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#11 Post by chronoluminaire »

Hee. It'd be awesome if someone wanted to adapt Elven Relations or When I Rule The World (or even Cloud Fairy :shock: ) into an anime :)

For When I Rule The World, I'd try to combine the storylines from Endings 2 and 1. To make one linear storyline, I think Selena should
go to visit Eletis, and while she's there she may as well have the romantic tension with him. But she doesn't come away fully convinced - it takes Takeshi to do that, in the iconic scene at the cafe.
There'd probably only be about 2-4 episodes' worth.

For Cloud Fairy, it'd probably have to be a 5- or 10-minute short :) And I could see going for either Ending 3 or Ending 1 depending on what the studio prefer. It'd be great as one of those little 5-minute animations broadcast between scheduled programmes :D

For Elven Relations, the choices are harder. The game was always meant to really not have one "true" ending, but have several ways it could go; but it wouldn't make sense with the genre to show multiple routes that events could unfold. I think things should probably follow the route to Ending 2 or Ending 1, because Asilana flirts with Takuya on all the paths anyway ;) Probably Ending 2 would make the most sense if people aren't seeing the other routes, because part of the fun in Yurika's routes is taking this character who's been present and mostly ignoring the romance in previous playthroughs and finding her own romantic side. I'm not sure it'd have the same impact if it were the only story.

It'd also be nice to be able to move away from Takuya's POV for a bit: we could show a bit more of Kei's flirting with the elven girls, the interactions between the non-Takuya characters in the party when travelling, and the goings-on in the human and elven courts.

Again, I think it'd only have enough material in the normal story for about 4 episodes, if that, and nobody wants to see their story padded out with random filler. They could maybe expand it to 6, but part of how ER was conceived was to be a short and simple story :P

And if there were chances of it being so popular that they want to adapt the sequel too, then it might make most sense to go with an ending other than Ending 1, so that Kei's free to flirt with whichever mermaid he wants :)
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

this_barb
Regular

#12 Post by this_barb »

If it can happen with Type-Moon (Tsukihime art was pretty crappy), it can happen with anyone. The chance is probably much lower that an EVN will get picked up, though (I don't think there are any EVNs that were ported to an anime).

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#13 Post by LVUER »

If a EVN could reach over than one million copy sales and thousands of dollars in profit, perhaps there would be one or two companies interested in making that EVN an anime/cartoon.

draringi
Regular
Projects: "Project Shi" (working title); "Project JanFeb" (working title:LSFCCVNG entry)

#14 Post by draringi »

this_barb wrote:If it can happen with Type-Moon (Tsukihime art was pretty crappy), it can happen with anyone. The chance is probably much lower that an EVN will get picked up, though (I don't think there are any EVNs that were ported to an anime).
though the art of tsukihime wasn't that good, it had a decent story...
however when it was made into an anime, they threw that out the window...
if I ever got a letter asking to make a VN i made into an anime, i'd request the right to quality control, so that what happened to tsukihime didn't happen to my work... i guess it could still happen anyway though... *is a bit scared...*
Current Project: Wolfram Shadow Devlog
Personal Blog
Current Projects:
"Project Shi" (working title)
"Project JanFeb" due completion date: 28th Feb, 2010

modesty
Regular
Completed: Line of Heroes
Projects: Captive Finwife, Trouble Brewing, Human Experiments

#15 Post by modesty »

It would be terrible and I would simply refuse. However if approached by Disney or Pixar I would hand over my first born child. :3 why? I really like how Pixar handles stories and characters better than anime studios. And I don't like my characters in that sort of style. I really prefer them how they look in that classic Disney Feature Film look.

Or Dreamworks animation now that i think about it. I really like their edgy style too for their 2D. Ideally I'd like to see my Angelo in a "Prince of Egypt" or "Road to El Dorado" style.

But to be fair...my characters I'm using in my...er...life sim are already an animation. (I was an animation student. Granted it's crappy flash animation. XD) And they're also both in comics already...one of which I self-published and it's available in print. //end shameless self promotion. XD