Resolution for VNs?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Elta
Regular
Tumblr: limitelta
Deviantart: limitelta
itch: limitelta

Re: Resolution for VNs?

#16 Post by Elta »

@LateWhiteRabbit @Autumnotopia

Thank you so much for another point of view! both of you! (also interesting video!) 1920x1080 was what I was originally planning, and it's really cool to actually see some stats! (I didn't know where to look) As much as I would like to think about people with older computers I also want to go with the mass majority of dedicated gamers. I know what it's like to feel left behind, becuse until this year my computer was so old that I could barely even use the internet because it couldn't handle a new OS even. However I realize that if I want to get anywhere in the future with my games I'll have to go with the gaming worlds largest trend. I also have little doubt that resolutions will continue to climb and once they don't I still highly doubt they will go back too below 1920x1080. I don't care about slightly less crisp graphics, but I know many do, and if I use a 1280x720 background on my desktop and stretch it, it definitely looks pixleized, and that's with a very small screen. I also tried my game at 1280x720 on my TV and it looks rather bad, but at 1920x1080 it looked really good. (keep in mind my TV is smaller then a lot, more like a larger monitor.) I don't really see the point of really high resolutions, but I personally find 1280x720 too small.

It's cool to know smart phones can use high resolutions, because with my lack of knowledge I didn't imagine they could. I've never bothered getting a smart phone because I have zero need of one.

As for art assets I don't even need to think about that. I am used to working for print and even work at sizes that are large for that! xD So I should be fine there!

I do care about the future, even if it's not popular, I would like to keep my game working for me as much as anything else, for as long as possible. Also get really sad when I can't play a game I loved anymore... I wish all games could be brought forward with time. I think games are more then just art too... they are a world separate from our own. I still play a ton of old games, over and over.

I understand the view of it being unnecessary, but I also see why a higher resolution is better.... I think I'll go with my original plan of 1920x1080. It's nice to know I wasn't out of my mind thinking that was a good option! xD

Matalla
Veteran
Completed: Max Power and the Egyptian Beetle Case, The Candidate, The Last Hope, El cajón del viejo escritorio, Clementina y la luna roja, Caught in Orbit, Dirty Business Ep 0, Medianoche de nuevo, The Lost Smile
itch: matalla-interactive

#17 Post by Matalla »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:55 pm I think we are at about that point in game development history. Sure, 90% of current games may not be played or thought about in a hundred years, but some game is already here or being developed soon that will capture the imagination of gamers decades from now, and be talked about like we do with The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Citizen Kane, Double Indemnity (one of my favorite films of all time and nearly 80 years old), now.

Sorry, you cracked me up with the "I'll be dead, so I don't care" line. You sound like my mother. That's her response to anything future based. Maybe it's my military training, but I always try and make things better for the people coming behind me, even if I'll be dead.
You don't have to be a military man (or woman) to care about the people coming behind. Being a father works too, and I do care. I just don't think any of the things we're talking about are really important to the ones coming behind. Also, being compared to your mother, I'm probably in good company. The main use we, old grumpy men and women have is to amuse and annoy the youngsters. There are worse things in life.

Absolutely agree on Double Indemnity, Gone with the Wind, on the other hand, I think is the most overrated movie ever.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español (Discord)
Honest Critique

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#18 Post by Imperf3kt »

Having higher resolution assets is indeed important for future proofing your work, but resolution is only half the story. PPI/Pixel density is the other half.

If you have a 1920*1080 game, and play it on a 5" mobile, you have 440.58 physical pixels crammed into a 1 inch space, source https://www.lifewire.com/how-many-pixel ... ch-4125185

That's 440.58 dots of light in an area 2.54cm² meaning that each Pixel is less than 0.005mm² (assuming square pixels) - smaller than you can distinguish.
For a 55 inch screen, it's about 0.06mm², still insanely small. At 1280*720, that becomes 0.142mm²
Is there even any point in going higher resolution?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#19 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Matalla wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:08 am Absolutely agree on Double Indemnity, Gone with the Wind, on the other hand, I think is the most overrated movie ever.
I think Gone with the Wind is a slog myself - but I brought it up because it seems to be one of those movies that everyone keeps watching, regardless of age.
Imperf3kt wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:16 pm Having higher resolution assets is indeed important for future proofing your work, but resolution is only half the story. PPI/Pixel density is the other half.

If you have a 1920*1080 game, and play it on a 5" mobile, you have 440.58 physical pixels crammed into a 1 inch space, source https://www.lifewire.com/how-many-pixel ... ch-4125185

That's 440.58 dots of light in an area 2.54cm² meaning that each Pixel is less than 0.005mm² (assuming square pixels) - smaller than you can distinguish.
For a 55 inch screen, it's about 0.06mm², still insanely small. At 1280*720, that becomes 0.142mm²
Is there even any point in going higher resolution?
I guess it depends on how close you shove your nose to your tablet or phone. :lol: I brought up the smartphone resolutions because I found it interesting. I know a lot of VN developers give some thought to mobile gaming currently, and was surprised at the usage numbers for different resolutions on smartphones. I hadn't realized they had gotten so high resolution.

Regardless, it looks like Elta is on the right track with 1920x1080. That'll cover almost 2/3rds of gamers on PC, and almost a quarter of smartphone users.

JBShields
Regular
Projects: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47586
Organization: First Step Cinematics

#20 Post by JBShields »

^Plan ahead and preserve your work.