How do I put it on steam?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
ACEKAiSHi
Projects: Bunny of the Moon, Retake on Revenge, Memories
Organization: BlankWIshGames
itch: acekaishi

How do I put it on steam?

#1 Post by ACEKAiSHi »

I haven’t looked into it much but i would like to know before i finish the game because i like to be prepared so is there like a license or something?

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

Re: How do I put it on steam?

#2 Post by parttimestorier »

This site explains the process of publishing your game on steam. It costs $100 USD and you'll need to fill out some tax paperwork, but it seems to be a pretty straightforward process, although I haven't tried it yet myself.
ImageImageImage

drinkerofmilk
Regular
itch: socah

Re: How do I put it on steam?

#3 Post by drinkerofmilk »

Most of it's straightforward, but it's a lot of work compared to other game sites like itch.io. As parttimestorier stated you will need to fill out paperwork about what kind of legal person you are for tax purposes (eg: a business or a private entity).

Besides this, you will need to upload logo images, icon files and other promotional images for your game, in specific dimensions. There are quite a lot of different places on the site where you need this, and the sizes are all different, so this can take quite a while. Besides this, you always need a trailer video.

Uploading games goes via the Steampipe API, which can also be a hassle when you do it for the first time. There is a handy GUI though.