Question about Ren'Py + DAZ3D and assets usage

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
MrShadows

Question about Ren'Py + DAZ3D and assets usage

#1 Post by MrShadows »

Guys a quick question, cuz i didn't found anything about it on google, Look i want to make a Visual Novel in Ren'py , and i obviously can't buy all those assets to make it real. Can i get assets on internet without licences ,then pose them and make renders to use in Ren'py? and for Exemple i create a Patreon account, and post the link to the game there for free, but with people who maybe will appreciate my work and be my patron, will i have any problems doing this?

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Question about Ren'Py + DAZ3D and assets usage

#2 Post by fleet »

I am not a lawyer.
DAZ assets that you get from the DAZ 3D web site are licensed, but the licenses allow you to make renders and publish them. There are lots of free assets for DAZ characters at sharecg and renderosity. A good place to find links to free assets is poserdazfreebies Link ->https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

Some of the free items at Sharecg and Rnederosity have restrictions specifying 'no commercial use' (meaning you can't make a render and then sell it).

What you propose should be okay.

The following quote come from the DAZ site: https://www.daz3d.com/interactive-license-info
"The Standard License Agreement for content purchased on the Daz 3D website allows you to do some really neat stuff. A few of those things are:

1- Render out images
2- Render out videos
3- Render out an HDRI or Virtual Reality scene

Any of these you render out are completely owned by you. You can use them, sell them, modify them, pretty much whatever you want. This is allowed by the End User License Agreement (EULA) because what you are delivering to the end consumer is not the actual 3D content, but a render of it."
End of Quote.

DAZ periodically offers some of their sale items for free. When you get a DAZ item from them for free the Standard License Agreement is applicable.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

MrShadows

#3 Post by MrShadows »

I appreciate the answers, thank you sir:)

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#4 Post by fleet »

You are welcome. I'm sending you a private message regarding visual novels with 3D artwork.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

GNVE
Regular
Completed: ShSt - Bad Day
Projects: ShSt - Afterparty, Collings University
itch: https://gnve.itch.io

#5 Post by GNVE »

Hey,
As I understand it (not a lawyer) you can use it in VN's since all art is rendered out into images and video's. The interactive license is only if you want to use the assets themselves in the game (so the 3D object in an FPS for instance).
I generally prefer the Daz store since all assets go into the smart content (which is faaaaaaarrrrr from perfect but still better than the content library). The thing is you need to be patient. All items will be on sale eventually. Just set a budget. buy for that budget a gift card on sale (about the best you can do is about 20%) and then wait until the items you want are on sale. I'd also say that the Platinum Club is worth the investment (the membership is on sale every so often as well).
The pro packs can be had for around $25 if you're willing to wait. Normal items can be discounted to $1,99 or less during the platinum club sale.
Another way to save money is by going to older generations. As of writing Gen 8 is the newest but if you are willing to go down to Gen 3 or earlier you get a lot more sale opportunity's and free items.
Last tip is to think about what VN's you want to make and to buy assets that are in line with that style, don't buy indiscriminately.
As you are thinking about doing this commercially (as in setting up a Patreon) the only thing I'd advise against heavily is to pirate the assets. Fines (as I understand it) are often a lot higher if you make or attempted to make money off of the pirated material than if you did it as a private person.