A question

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Chanda
Regular
Projects: Aella of Athens (WIP)
Organization: Visual Butterfly
Deviantart: spowers161
itch: visualbutterfly

A question

#1 Post by Chanda »

So, this is just a big thing that has been bothering me about a game I have been working on that I don't know if I should follow through or not. I've asked a friend about it and she has given me her opinion, but just one opinion doesn't help much, so I would like more please! I have given as much background on the character as I can at this time.

https://forms.gle/boVvYL8MV5JJG189A

GNVE
Regular
Completed: ShSt - Bad Day
Projects: ShSt - Afterparty, Collings University
itch: https://gnve.itch.io

Re: A question

#2 Post by GNVE »

Sorry not interested in giving up my mail adres in a poll. So I'll give the answer to your question here. With an 800 year gap say 30 generations or so there isn't very much familial relationship anymore. I think that if you go back that far in a family tree you just end up being 'related' to millions of people or even half the continent.

Don't let that ruin the fun though. It was just where my mind went to when I read the premise.

Chanda
Regular
Projects: Aella of Athens (WIP)
Organization: Visual Butterfly
Deviantart: spowers161
itch: visualbutterfly

#3 Post by Chanda »

GNVE wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:13 pm Sorry not interested in giving up my mail adres in a poll. So I'll give the answer to your question here. With an 800 year gap say 30 generations or so there isn't very much familial relationship anymore. I think that if you go back that far in a family tree you just end up being 'related' to millions of people or even half the continent.

Don't let that ruin the fun though. It was just where my mind went to when I read the premise.
Thank you for the response! I really appreciate your honesty. I'll take a look at your articles after my classes!

LiamWinterdale
Regular
Completed: Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! (NaNoRenO 2020, CG / Cover + Title Logo Artist)
Projects: BR ( WiP ), HC1 ( WiP ), SWaTSB ( WiP ), SD ( WiP ), H ( WiP )

#4 Post by LiamWinterdale »

spowers161 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:56 pm
GNVE wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:13 pm Sorry not interested in giving up my mail adres in a poll. So I'll give the answer to your question here. With an 800 year gap say 30 generations or so there isn't very much familial relationship anymore. I think that if you go back that far in a family tree you just end up being 'related' to millions of people or even half the continent.

Thank you for the response! I really appreciate your honesty. I'll take a look at your articles after my classes!
I agree with GNVE. I don't think it's really incest when they're centuries apart. Some people might still be iffy about it though, but personally and technically? Not incest, so I don't mind a main route for him ^^

Maybe you can touch this subject in game as well so people would understand? Either way, I wish you all the best with your project! ^w^)/

Elsa Kisiel
Regular
Completed: Shieldlock Holmes
Projects: Home Spatial Home

#5 Post by Elsa Kisiel »

GNVE wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:13 pm Sorry not interested in giving up my mail adres in a poll.
Me neither, to be honest. u.u I already receive way too much spam in my inbox.
(I still answered it, with a fake e-mail adress)
GNVE wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:13 pm With an 800 year gap say 30 generations or so there isn't very much familial relationship anymore. I think that if you go back that far in a family tree you just end up being 'related' to millions of people or even half the continent.
Exactly!
Illustrator • Commission open: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=59346 • My portfolio: https://elsakisiel.artstation.com/

Take a cup of tea and let yourself be charmed by my stories and my drawings. Here, everything is bewitched and bewitching!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#6 Post by Zelan »

Also not willing to give out my email address, and not sure why you requested it for the survey.

Anyway, my answer would be no. I don't see any reason to make family members a route when you could just as easily either change the story so that they are not related, or even not mention it, or make a character with a similar personality so that people who like characters like him can have a fun route. Explicitly making it clear that two characters are related, even if it's so far apart, and then allowing the option to have them as a couple is very squicky for me.

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

#7 Post by Mutive »

The rate of higher genetic defects even between first cousins is only 4-7% (vs. 3-4% for unrelated parents - so roughly double) and first cousin marriage has been common in a number of civilizations. By the time you get to second cousins (so shared great-grandparents vs. grandparents), the rate only goes up to 3.5%. By third cousins, I don't know that a higher rate is even detectable, unless you end up in a case where third cousins are regularly marrying (and thus increasing the chances for potentially hazardous genes to become common within the population).

And as noted above, by 30 generations, EVERYONE is related to everyone else. (Fun fact: I recently found that a friend was a fifth cousin - which seems kind of crazy until you realize we come from similar ethnic backgrounds and that - by seven generations out - I'm probably related to practically everyone who comes from similar parts of the world. But sleeping with him would in no way be "incest" because from any realistic perspective, we're no more closely related than I am to anyone else.)
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue

LiamWinterdale
Regular
Completed: Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! (NaNoRenO 2020, CG / Cover + Title Logo Artist)
Projects: BR ( WiP ), HC1 ( WiP ), SWaTSB ( WiP ), SD ( WiP ), H ( WiP )

#8 Post by LiamWinterdale »

Mutive wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:35 pm The rate of higher genetic defects even between first cousins is only 4-7% (vs. 3-4% for unrelated parents - so roughly double) and first cousin marriage has been common in a number of civilizations. By the time you get to second cousins (so shared great-grandparents vs. grandparents), the rate only goes up to 3.5%. By third cousins, I don't know that a higher rate is even detectable, unless you end up in a case where third cousins are regularly marrying (and thus increasing the chances for potentially hazardous genes to become common within the population).

And as noted above, by 30 generations, EVERYONE is related to everyone else. (Fun fact: I recently found that a friend was a fifth cousin - which seems kind of crazy until you realize we come from similar ethnic backgrounds and that - by seven generations out - I'm probably related to practically everyone who comes from similar parts of the world. But sleeping with him would in no way be "incest" because from any realistic perspective, we're no more closely related than I am to anyone else.)
Exactly xD