Does using Ren'Py mean I have experience with Python?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
NadOtavlas
Regular

Does using Ren'Py mean I have experience with Python?

#1 Post by NadOtavlas »

I'm trying to make a resume and I'm wondering if adding "Python" to my skill list is a good idea. Does using Ren'py mean I can do that?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Does using Ren'Py mean I have experience with Python?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

I dunno. Renpy itself doesn't require any knowledge of python to make a basic game.

Have you made anything using python and then implemented that within renpy?
I have, and I'd say it doesn't mean I know python, just that I made one thing with it.
I would not put that on my resume. What if I was asked to do something else and just couldn't?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

SinaAzad
Veteran
IRC Nick: SinaAzad
Deviantart: sinaazad
Soundcloud: Sina_Azad

#3 Post by SinaAzad »

not really, They have some similarities, but Renpy is not the same as python! maybe it would be better to have Renpy as your skill instead of Python?
I am very proud to be a part of this generous, nice and friendly community!
but please, don't go around telling people that their work is somehow off! thats not how critique works!
Mainly a C# Programmer

My drawings:

isobellesophia
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: None
Projects: Maddox and Friends! (AI Teacher friend), Friendly Universities! (Soon)
Organization: Friendly Teachers series
Deviantart: SophBelle
itch: Child Creation

#4 Post by isobellesophia »

Python is a advanced coding experience if you know what i mean. Renpy's basic are enough to make a one whole game. In some cases, you need a few python coding to do a actual game function. Or you could do a simple one.That is.
I am a friendly user, please respect and have a good day.

GNVE
Regular
Completed: ShSt - Bad Day
Projects: ShSt - Afterparty, Collings University
itch: https://gnve.itch.io

#5 Post by GNVE »

I've done some more complex coding using Python for my VN. I would not consider myself skilled enough in Python to put it on my resume by a mile. That is way more complex.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#6 Post by fleet »

If you were hired based on your resume, and your first assignment was to code something in python, could you do it? If not,I'd recommend you NOT add Python to your skills set in your resume.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Trafagal
Regular

#7 Post by Trafagal »

NadOtavlas wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:16 pm I'm trying to make a resume and I'm wondering if adding "Python" to my skill list is a good idea. Does using Ren'py mean I can do that?
Hi,

All the above gave the correct view.
I have studied and code in Python before and I'm in the IT industry. I would say this..

1. The amount of Python coding in Ren'Py seems to be quite minimal, compare to the whole library of Python. For example, I don't recall any one asking how to use Array in Ren'Py.

2. Having said that, no one is stopping you from putting Python as something you know in your resume. Just be prepared that interviewers would very likely asked you some Python programming language questions or asked to see what was the latest Python project you have done. If you are prepared to show them the python in your Ren' Py project, by all means. :)

3. If you keen to know how much knowledge you have in Python, I think its best to check out some online courses and test yourself with the free projects online: https://www.udemy.com/courses/search/?p ... ce&src=ukw

Hope it helps.
Check out some of my stuffs here:https://linktr.ee/theartofjoshlab

Art Portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/theartofjoshlab/

Working on a personal Visual Novel~

Kuiper
Regular
Completed: Cursed Lands, Trial by Fire
Projects: Necrobarista, Idol Manager
Organization: Route 59 Games
Tumblr: kuiperblog

#8 Post by Kuiper »

Ren'py is built on Python, but using Ren'py doesn't mean that you have experience using Python. On a similar note: Minecraft is a piece of software made in Java, but building things in Minecraft doesn't mean that you have experience with Java. (Though, to extend the analogy further, if you are a Ren'py "power user," you might actually do some coding in Python, much in the same way a Minecraft power user making mods might actually get a bit of Java experience along the way, but this experience will not be typical to how most people use the software.)

Bearing that in mind, you shouldn't state that you have experience using Python. However, you could state that you have experience using Ren'py, and explain that Ren'py is a domain specific language built on Python. (This is the kind of thing that might be easier to bring up in an interview context rather than on a resume.) Additionally, if you've made any games, or have done any work for a game studio using Ren'py, those are accomplishments/jobs that you could list on a resume.
Necrobarista - serve coffee to the living and the dead
Idol Manager - experience the glamour and dangers of the pop idol industry
Cursed Lands - a mix of high fantasy and gothic horror

Sophie Markov

#9 Post by Sophie Markov »

People here are terribly pessimistic in my view. It's true that making a simple game in Ren'Py does not make you a Python programmer, but if you went a little beyond the standard, then you've probably had more than a taste of Python, and it would be very familiar to you and very easy to learn. Why don't you download a free Python tutorial and run through it? If it's easy-peasy then you know Python and can list it in your resume. If it's uncomfortable, you probably should just list Ren'Py as suggested here.

SinaAzad
Veteran
IRC Nick: SinaAzad
Deviantart: sinaazad
Soundcloud: Sina_Azad

#10 Post by SinaAzad »

Sophie Markov wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:26 pm People here are terribly pessimistic in my view. It's true that making a simple game in Ren'Py does not make you a Python programmer, but if you went a little beyond the standard, then you've probably had more than a taste of Python, and it would be very familiar to you and very easy to learn. Why don't you download a free Python tutorial and run through it? If it's easy-peasy then you know Python and can list it in your resume. If it's uncomfortable, you probably should just list Ren'Py as suggested here.
hmmm, to list something on your resume you need to have a good understanding of it, I know Java for example, I used it university and stuff but I'd not put it on my resume I just don't think that I can efficiently work using Java, on the other hand, I've done actual work with C# so that goes right into my resume! also if someone asks "Does using Ren'py mean I can do that?" means they probably are not that familiar with it as using renpy =/= using or knowing python!
about people here being pessimistic, I couldn't disagree more, this is probably one of the few remaining islands in the sea that is the internet where you can actually meet a lot of nice and helpful people, you could say they are not optimists, they are realistic! I suggest you check the forums more often and engage in conversations actively then you will get what I mean!
I am very proud to be a part of this generous, nice and friendly community!
but please, don't go around telling people that their work is somehow off! thats not how critique works!
Mainly a C# Programmer

My drawings:

Autumnotopia
Regular
Completed: Making Friends
Tumblr: autumnotopiadev
Github: autumngreenley
itch: autumnotopia

#11 Post by Autumnotopia »

This may be a bit of a tangent from the specific question asked by the OP, but some of the replies to this thread strike me as being detrimental to people who may be putting together a resume.

In my computer science capstone class we had to make a resume and talk about it with our professors. The general advice from both of the professors for the class was to be very liberal with what languages you list as having experience with. Have you done a project of pretty much any size in a language? Then you can and should list it.

Frankly, the chances are that at some point in your CS career you'll just have to learn whatever languages your company uses. They aren't necessarily looking for if you're a genius in Python, they want to know that you can adapt and pick up new languages easily.

Certainly there's exceptions, but if you know even a little bit of Python you will not lose anything by putting it on your resume. Don't just lie, but the amount of effort you have to put in to learn enough about a language to put it on your resume is not as high as a lot of people seem to think. As someone above suggested, just do a basic tutorial and all of a sudden you have experience in Python. Knowing a language is a sliding scale, if they ask you about it in the interview just tell them about your experiences with it and say you'd be interested in learning more. (Sometimes that experience is a huge year long project, sometimes it's an afternoon spent doing a tutorial. That's fine, it shows you're interested in learning)

As far as if Renpy counts as Python? As most others have said, it depends. If your script is mostly just text and you've not done anything outside of that maybe not... But good Python tutorials are just a Google search away.
A game about loneliness, chess, and fighting monsters with magic

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#12 Post by Donmai »

Hmm. NadOtavlas? Curious name, especially when we read it backward.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

NadOtavlas
Regular

#13 Post by NadOtavlas »

Donmai wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:19 pm Hmm. NadOtavlas? Curious name, especially when we read it backward.
Yeah it's a silly joke name :D