Harddrive, may it rest in peace.

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Melkoshi
Regular
Projects: Jewels of Sytinane

Harddrive, may it rest in peace.

#1 Post by Melkoshi »

Well, today I was told by my pc guy. That my harddrives were completely shot thanks to my power supply blowing up.

Inturn i lost 6 years of my life saved, and I also lost nearly 15% of my current game, which were all the main cast sprites, backgrounds and system codes(battle system, invintory, ect..)

I live out of my computer, and this was a major loss for me. I have very few sample images from the game, thanks to wanting to wait for open beta to show it around.

topic:
Ever had something like this happen? How much were you pissed over it? how much did you regret not backing up that file?

edit: to see the failed game go here ot my artdump.
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =26&t=5884

I am going to work on a different game, an orginal now instead of my fangame.
Last edited by Melkoshi on Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
--- My DeviantArt.
Game in Progress for demo-teaser:
story(script) = 45%
sprites = 100%
programming(interface) = 35%
CGs = 0%
Backgrounds = 5%
Music/sound = 0%

Koveras
Regular
Projects: The King's Dragon (TBA)

Re: Harddrive, may it rest in peace.

#2 Post by Koveras »

My condolences...

Fortunately, none of my hard drives ever malfunctioned. *knocks on wood* But I know how you feel. Last year, I have experienced a major HDD overheating problem and it wouldn't even read the boot sector, so I killed a lot of nerve cells imagining all the work I've lost on that drive... Luckily, after a disassemble/clean/switch the fans to max output/reassemble routine, the PC was up and running again. By the damage to my nervous system was considerable. -__-
"Yo, Buddy, you still alive?"

Taroku
Regular
Projects: Eh? Get off my back!

#3 Post by Taroku »

This past year has actualy been quite annoying to me, I've had my HDD fail on me (My computer-savy friend thinks that it might be the reader) and now my entire PC has been failling me almost everyday (Screen would freeze up, screen would be replaced with a colorful mess, and now it asks for the system CD everytimes i reboot)

I think i might need to replace some parts ;_; *Hugs wallet*
|| DA Page || twitter || Taroku ||

Checking... Nope, still a wannabe.

this_barb
Regular

#4 Post by this_barb »

That's why it's always a good idea to have a backup drive or even use mirror raid.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#5 Post by Samu-kun »

A good, simple solution I've learned to use is to back up my important files on a SD card. It's small, pretty cheap, and they can easily hold 2 gb nowadays.

Melkoshi
Regular

#6 Post by Melkoshi »

funny thing is, I had thought to back up the files onto a flashdrive to take with me. But sadly, this happens before I have the time to do so.
--- My DeviantArt.
story(script) = 45%
sprites = 100%
CGs = 0%
Backgrounds = 5%
Music/sound = 0%

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by musical74 »

The one time that my hard drive completed failed I had a slave drive at the time...so I was able to transfer everything to the slave drive and throw away the old drive...but the way that I found out that my old drive was failing (and failing fast) was I was doing a scandisk just to check something....and it was working on 5 hours and was maybe a third of the way through :shock:
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

deerchan
Regular
Projects: Secrets, hoho >3

#8 Post by deerchan »

Oh man I'm with you. I lost two games to that (cruddy laptops D: ). And they were 8 BIT GAMES. It took me DAYS to make spritesheets sometimes, not including the coding I did... I've given up on 8 bit games cause of that, theres too much to back up...
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... &sk=t&sd=a
The Pet Project is up and running! Come join us!
We still need a background artist, coders, writers and demo testers.

I can be flat out stupid sometimes. Specially in forums. Please bare with me.

adrix89
Regular

#9 Post by adrix89 »

What I find handy for backup and for projects(and also between synchronizing my files on laptop and desktop) is dropbox
This nifty applications syncs your dropbox folder(that is on your hard drive) with there server
So for backuping any file you can drag it to the folder and forget about it
It also lets you sync it with another computer like my laptop(when its set up on the other machine) and automatically downloads the files
You get 2gb with extra(up to 5gb(i I think?or is it 3gb?)) with referrals(250mb per referral) so it might not work with big projects but can help with some projects you are working on
Anyways if you like you could check it out https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTEwMjcyMTg5 (my referral link)
or at simply https://www.getdropbox.com/

...damn looking at my post I look like a damn advertiser ...just forget what I said my life is meaningless to go to this low

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Wintermoon »

My preferred backup strategy is to work on one computer and back up to another. Failing that, flash memory cards also work well. I've lost about one hard drive per year for the last few years, but because of my backup strategy, I've never lost any important data.

killdream
Veteran
Projects: EVūL (WIP), insilo (WIP), Cute Demon Crashers!
Deviantart: robotlolita
Github: robotlolita

#11 Post by killdream »

I do periodic backups of my hdd in dvds/external drives and maintain mirros in my server as well, and though I didn't lost any data yet I still worry about losing data every often xD

Anyways, have you tried repairing your HDD MBR? If it's just some MBR data corruption you can try repairing it. Maybe you'll lose all the data in disk, but on a bright side you'll at least get an hdd you can use for backups :D

Melkoshi
Regular

#12 Post by Melkoshi »

I was told if i found the exact copy of the HDD, i might be able to repair it. However, the chances are slim from what i was told. It was the circuit board or whatever it was that got blown out(high voltage ran through the system). but the data should be there if i could repair that drive. I'm not very techie when it comes to hardware. XD

I'm not so much worryed about it now honestly, it sucks yeah but overall I'm working on anew project now with highhopes.
--- My DeviantArt.
story(script) = 45%
sprites = 100%
CGs = 0%
Backgrounds = 5%
Music/sound = 0%

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#13 Post by Aleema »

I'm far too used to losing things by now that every time something like this happens, I look on the bright side like you, Melkoshi. Just means you get another beginning. :)

But I would still like to not loose things.
My current set up is two harddrives with Cobian Backup 8 that copies folders from my main drive onto my secondary drive every so often. It can even backup websites. It's free, so I recommend it to anyone with two drives. :D

Worst loss I've had with hard drive eshplosions is when I was almost done with a complete movie fandub ... my video driver wouldn't let me back onto my computer to uninstall the damn malfunctioning video driver ... so I did a restore which normally isn't destructive, but I CANCELED the process half-way through because I changed my mind (because it 4am) -- which of course, is the wrong thing to do if you want your stuff afterwards. So, my stuff was lost thanks to something stupid I did. But I had half of the fandub backed up on a DVD, so yay.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#14 Post by LVUER »

My HDD was also died on me once (and along with it, all my precious data). And it was also so sudden, without any warning or sign (my other HDD which attached at the same time and same PC is perfectly fine).

Since then, I trust DVD more than HDD since they are more reliable and cheap (though eat more space).