Easy Version Control software?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
MidniteLoveGames
Deviantart: midnitelovestories

Easy Version Control software?

#1 Post by MidniteLoveGames »

How do you all backup and protect your projects? Mine is growing beyond the point I can effectively manage it without version control. I'd like to not waste too much time learning complicated software. Any suggestions for an easy to learn VCS?

I only need to work locally. Not collaborating at all, so basic functionality is all tahts needed.

SinaAzad
Veteran
IRC Nick: SinaAzad
Deviantart: sinaazad
Soundcloud: Sina_Azad

Re: Easy Version Control software?

#2 Post by SinaAzad »

well, Idk if this is something you look for or not but I used to keep my project in a synced folder which was connected to my mega.nz cloud profile.
bu if u want version control you better just go with Github.

here is another topic with a similar question that could help you: viewtopic.php?t=49965

gl with you project
I am very proud to be a part of this generous, nice and friendly community!
but please, don't go around telling people that their work is somehow off! thats not how critique works!
Mainly a C# Programmer

My drawings:

MidniteLoveGames

#3 Post by MidniteLoveGames »

Thanks SinaAzad. Some other people have also mentioned Git as well.

felix
Regular
Completed: Before the Faire
Organization: No Time To Play
Tumblr: no-time-to-play
Github: notimetoplay
itch: notimetoplay

#4 Post by felix »

Back when I still used version control, Bazaar was by far my favorite. It's dead simple, no-nonsense, yet more than powerful enough for serious development. Definitely give it a try.

MidniteLoveGames

#5 Post by MidniteLoveGames »

Hey guys thanks for the great suggestions. I spent the entire day fiddling around with the many different softwares people suggested. In the end I've gone with a software called "Beyond Compare." It fits my needs perfectly, and most importantly there is basically no down time for learning any new jargon and workflow.

It just automates finding differences between two folders, so at the end of the work day I just compare my working folder and my cloud backup folder, and with like two clicks I can send over only the changed items to be merged. It's not true version control, but in my case I don't really need that. Just need a more efficient way to back up work daily, so this works very well.

If at some point I do need a real version control, I will check out bazaar. Most important thing for me is ease of use so that sounds perfect.