DDLC not working on my computer

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
J0rdazn

DDLC not working on my computer

#1 Post by J0rdazn »

I didn't know if this was a question about Ren'py, so i just put it here. Yes, i know the game is like 2 years old, but i wanted to download it on my Raspberry Pi, but I don't know how. I look everywhere for help, but that wasn't helping. So, maybe asking here will help.

I have just downloaded DDLC on my Raspberry Pi 4B (I'm using 64-Bit, Ubuntu 20.04 OS) and when ever I run the .sh file in the terminal I get:

Ren'Py could not detect that platform it's running on. Please set
the RENPY_PLATFORM environment variable to one of "linux-i686" or
"linux-x86_64", or "darwin-x86_64" and run this command again.

I'm kinda new to Linux and Ubuntu, and i know squat about Ren'py, but if you guys can help me that would be nice.

Also, whenever I use wine to run the .exe file i get:

0009:err:module:__wine_process_init L"F:\\home\\ubuntu\\Desktop\\DDLC-1.1.1-pc\\DDLC.exe" not supported on this system

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: DDLC not working on my computer

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Wine alone won't run x86 applications on a raspberry Pi.
Wine Is Not an Emulator.

How did you install renpy, what are the exact commands you're using in the terminal to run the file?

I have no experience running ubuntu on a Raspberry Pi, but I can say that Ren'Py generally works very well under Raspberry Pi OS 32bit
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

J0rdazn

#3 Post by J0rdazn »

Imperf3kt wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:53 pm Wine alone won't run x86 applications on a raspberry Pi.
Wine Is Not an Emulator.

How did you install renpy, what are the exact commands you're using in the terminal to run the file?

I have no experience running ubuntu on a Raspberry Pi, but I can say that Ren'Py generally works very well under Raspberry Pi OS 32bit
When running DDLC I use cd Desktop/DDLC, then ./DDLC.sh. As for installing Ren'py, I did not have it previously installed on my computer before I installed DDLC.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

You'll need to install renpy then.
Running renpy games on a raspberry Pi is a little different to running them on a PC.

The repos have renpy 6.99.12 (last I checked)

Code: Select all

sudo apt install renpy
but you'll ideally want the latest version, which will mean you'll have to build it from source.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=43847&hilit=raspbe ... 30#p457843

Note that there is a typo in the final steps, mentioned a few posts later.
These instructions are also somewhat old now and may differ slightly (for example, FKMS is now the default in raspberry pi OS, so there's no need to change the driver) and on a Pi4b, don't adjust the GPU memory from default.

Also of note is that DDLC has a lot of windows specific content that won't work on a Pi.

Twitter

J0rdazn

#5 Post by J0rdazn »

Imperf3kt wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:25 pm You'll need to install renpy then.
Running renpy games on a raspberry Pi is a little different to running them on a PC.

The repos have renpy 6.99.12 (last I checked)

sudo apt install renpy
but you'll ideally want the latest version, which will mean you'll have to build it from source.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=43847&hilit=raspbe ... 30#p457843

Note that there is a typo in the final steps, mentioned a few posts later.
These instructions are also somewhat old now and may differ slightly (for example, FKMS is now the default in raspberry pi OS, so there's no need to change the driver) and on a Pi4b, don't adjust the GPU memory from default.

Also of note is that DDLC has a lot of windows specific content that won't work on a Pi.
So, I went and followed the steps of the link and I installed renpy. But, when I open the renpy launcher I can't find DDLC, so I try to find the directory where renpy keeps the games and put DDLC in it, but I can't find it. Then, when I try to put DDLC into the newbuild directory and start DDLC through terminal it gives me the same error in the first post. Then, I go back to the renpy launcher and see if I can select the game through renpy launcher by clicking "Create new project." But it gives me an error saying to download python-tk. Here is the Traceback,

File "launcher/game/choose_directory.rpy", line 76, in choose_directory
    p = subprocess.Popen(cmd, stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 394, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1047, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
I check if I have it installed and it is with the latest version. Though the launcher seems like it's looking for python2.7, but I have python3 installed on my computer.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

I'm going by memory here, which may not be as useful as I intend.

I'll try running it myself later today and see what happens for me. It may simply be that it cannot be run on the target hardware, Raspberry Pi support is only experimental and not guaranteed after all.

Twitter