Non-anime VNs

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
aNewVirgin

Non-anime VNs

#1 Post by aNewVirgin »

Has anybody here played VNs in non-anime artstyle and can someone recommend me anything?

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Non-anime VNs

#2 Post by Donmai »

Cinders, anytime. Look for it on Steam.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#3 Post by fleet »

The two Vera Blanc visual novels by Jack Norton of Winterwoves Games (Vera Blanc - Full Moon, and Vera Blanc and the Ghost in the Castle) are on steam. They use an art style similar to comic book art. There are free demo versions available.

Link to artwork https://winterwolves.com/verablanc.htm
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

LongStory isn't my favorite visual novel, but I like it. I was surprised at how choices in the story can shape the protagonist in an instant. There's a low-key conflict which permeates the VN. Finally, I liked the occasional use of a diegetic interface.

I started reading Across the Grooves recently. It's a good change of pace from the nonsense that I tend to like. So far, it's a mellow and surreal story that reminds me of the time when I lived near a hipster neighborhood.

The line between visual novels and story-rich games can be hazy. When I tried Minecraft Story Mode a couple years ago, I noticed it had adventure game elements and some exploration, but that it was mostly story. When I experienced Attack of the Friday Monsters, I noticed that it told a tale through talking with NPCs, and that its combat was optional. Dontnod Entertainment (Life is Strange, etc) uses marketing terms like "narrative adventure game" to describe their projects. Freebird Games (To the Moon, etc) uses phrases such as "interactive narrative" to describe their projects.