Can't get pass "Enter Name" screen using renpy game on Switch

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
SwitchStation3

Can't get pass "Enter Name" screen using renpy game on Switch

#1 Post by SwitchStation3 »

I need helping getting pass those "name your character" screens after entering down your name you can't press plus (switch's start button) and no matter how many times i press it, it refuses to go pass out of it and i wind up usually having to pull out a physical keyboard to get pass it half the times, is there anyway i can rebind the controls via an .ini file or next ren'py software update you guys can fix it somehow?

If you need a demonstration on what i mean, i'll be happy to provide a quick video showing what i'm talking about.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Can't get pass "Enter Name" screen using renpy game on Switch

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Nintendo Switch isn't officially supported.
How are you playing renpy games on Switch?

Homebrew port, or Ratalaika games port?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

SwitchStation3

#3 Post by SwitchStation3 »

Imperf3kt wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:41 pm Nintendo Switch isn't officially supported.
How are you playing renpy games on Switch?

Homebrew port, or Ratalaika games port?
I'm using the Homebrew port of the engine, the games surprisingly play perfectly fine, it's just the on-screen keyboard that the Nintendo Switch uses doesn't use the enter button like it should, and how i'm playing them was by games i have on my computer that already supports the engine so i was completely able to copy & paste all of it's files with provide necessary/required files + it's .nro executable to run all the ren'py games i'd own already.

Again' if you like i can record some quick gameplay showing what i mean so that way you can report back to the devs that worked on the Switch port of the engine.

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#4 Post by Morhighan »

Do you know who the developer is? You might have better luck if you contact them directly, in case they aren't on the forum.
But since it's a matter of homebrew, I'm not sure the devs predicted that users would be playing on Switch in this manner, so it's probably an issue that they'll not be able (or maybe willing) to deal with. If there's an official Switch port, it's probably pretty different from whatever you copied from your PC.