When creating a Patreon/Kickstarter how do you...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Kerperlo

When creating a Patreon/Kickstarter how do you...

#1 Post by Kerperlo »

When creating a Patreon/Kickstarter how do you set realistic goals and keep the drive to continue on?

You either develop a VN that you like and start up a Patreon/Kickstarter only to see that nobody is contributing or you lost the motivation for it. I know we all been there.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: When creating a Patreon/Kickstarter how do you...

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

I'm not an expert my any means, but typically you don't want to start a kickstarter or patron until your game is close to completion, and only requiring quality of life updates or artwork and music.

Some games manage a chapter release style, but these are typically prepared months in advance and the story is already pretty much ready to go, only undergoing editing and minor changes before release.

A kickstarter campaign or patreon should not be used as motivation, but instead financial backing for an already well developed, near complete game.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

DoubleProlix
Regular

Re: When creating a Patreon/Kickstarter how do you...

#3 Post by DoubleProlix »

Kickstarter and Patreon are very different fundraising platforms for different stages of a project with very different goals.
Current Project: Thaumarotica - an occult erotic thriller
SubscribeStar - Patreon - Itch.io