Save File Location?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Chronocide
Regular
Projects: Land of the 11 Towers

Save File Location?

#1 Post by Chronocide »

Playing a Renpy game and want to totally clear my progress. I exit the game. I go to games>saves and delete everything. Then I restart the game. Saves are still there.

Where does Renpy store their saves?
Or rather, is there an easy way to remove your progress in a Renpy game?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Save File Location?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Developers can code in a way to clear the game data, but most don't.
You'll find the save data in two locations, one copy is in the save folder where the game is installed and the other (assuming you are using Windows) is in your appdata cache, I believe.

You can find it by hitting windows key + R, then type %appdata%.
From memory, there should be three folders, local low, local and cache. They may be hidden.
I think it's inside the local folder, you'll find a folder for your game, in that should be the save files.

I'm going completely by memory here, I may be incorrect or have forgotten something. Not currently near a pc I can check on.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Chronocide
Regular
Projects: Land of the 11 Towers

#3 Post by Chronocide »

Imperf3kt wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:37 am Developers can code in a way to clear the game data, but most don't.
You'll find the save data in two locations, one copy is in the save folder where the game is installed and the other (assuming you are using Windows) is in your appdata cache, I believe.

You can find it by hitting windows key + R, then type %appdata%.
From memory, there should be three folders, local low, local and cache. They may be hidden.
I think it's inside the local folder, you'll find a folder for your game, in that should be the save files.

I'm going completely by memory here, I may be incorrect or have forgotten something. Not currently near a pc I can check on.
And there it is. Thank you so much.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

For anyone like me who sucks at navigating through their own computer files, it's always worked for me to drag the game folder into the same folder in Ren'Py where in-progress games are stored and then use Ren'Py to delete the persistent data. Haven't used this trick in several years, though, so I don't know if it would still work on more recent games.