Female, or male?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.

Are you male or female?

Male
57%
Female
43%

Total votes: 130

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#31 Post by mikey »

kara>> As for "Kara", well you'd always be a girl here in the land where every girl's name ends with "a" ^_^. If it doesn't... well, the chan-form is always with an "a". For instance Karin -> Karinka.

JackalAndromeda>> Indeed, interesting... I thought painting was kind of universal. But then it's true, I know many more girls who like to (actively) paint than I know guys.

Taavimon
Regular

#32 Post by Taavimon »

The "opposite gender of the avatar" rule applies to me. I have the lovely Tsukasa Nishino from Ichigo 100% as my avatar so that makes me a guy.

JackalAndromeda
Regular

#33 Post by JackalAndromeda »

The thing is, I know a ton of male artists, just none that hang out in our community. 0.o

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#34 Post by rioka »

Maybe they feel out of place among a group of females. I know in RL where some guys specifically said, "I'm going if (names other guys) are going" or "I'm not going if no other guys are going".

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#35 Post by mikey »

eclipse wrote:Maybe they feel out of place among a group of females.
Out of place?... I'll just mention a certain high school trip - me and my friend (that makes 2 guys) and the rest of the bus was all girls (about 30). One week in Italy, culture, arts, summer, Venice, Rome, Naples, the beaches, volcano edges, Capri island,... And I survived! 8) :?

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#36 Post by Blue Lemma »

"survived"? I'd be eating that up, mikey! :lol:

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#37 Post by rioka »

lol Tens times better than a bishoujo game! 30! :whistles:

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#38 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Maybe it'll be the inspiration for his next game ^_^

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#39 Post by mikey »

It was okay, but I guess it just sounds more romantic than it really was. I was more looking at Italian cars and they were more looking at... well, Italians ^_^

But if you can call it romantic, we were sleeping in the bus during the ride (not really safe), and the floor spaces were all taken, the double seats occupied and then I sort of joked about one girl that she could maybe let me sleep for a while in her space, and 3 hours later she actually let me use her space on the floor! I wasn't really expecting that, because most (if not all) girls just thought guys can handle anything and actually we asked many girls but they just smiled and went back to rest. So this was a real shock, because she took the uncomfy seat so I could sleep and well, girls rarely take the uncomfortable option when a guy can take it... or do they?

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#40 Post by Glasskitten »

Disclaimer: I have nothing insightful to say.

In my own experience with online gender issues, I never tried to seem neutral myself, and I always just assumed everyone could tell I was female by whatever cutesy screen name I had chosen. I sometimes forget that other people cannot see me as I type. I was a little bit amused and mildly displeased when I started playing online games, and people would have to ask me what gender I was in real life, despite my avatar's female gender and modest clothing. I guess with so many boys playing as females, and a bunch of girls in the mix playing as males, there are no safe assumptions in online RPGs. It gets me kind of worried when people directly ask, as in--If you have to ask, are you trying to decide whether to treat me differently? =^0.o^=

As for this forum, I personally remember spending some time staring at eclipse's icon in an attempt to determine her gender. I was relieved when more informed people provided the public with the appropriate pronouns, and when she removed all remaining doubt by releasing the first English-language bishounen game. It was easier to guess for most of the other members.

Why does it matter to me?
Well, my perception of a forum-goer's gender generally does not affect my behavior toward him/her, since communicating is more like catapaulting telegrams in glass bottles over a brick wall than navigating through a visual novel for me, anyway. However, when I read a thread, I can see everything taking place in my mind's eye. I can see the people's lips move, and I can see the gestures they make based on the "intonation" of the text. (Things really get interesting when they use *actions* to influence the movie taking place.) Usually the people I see are kind of hazy, and not exactly normal-looking like the kind I would see if I switched on the TV right now--more like conceptual spirit-snapshots based partly on their screen names, partly on their avatars past and present, and partly on the things they say about themselves and the way they say them. I need a gender to complete the picture accurately, and inaccuracy really bugs me.
Did I mention I am extensively synesthetic?

Anyone who actually takes the time to read my verbose, irrelevant ramblings gets a cupcake.

Postscript: I apologize on behalf of the girls who have caused mikey discomfort in the past.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#41 Post by rioka »

:eats cupcake with sprinkles and contemplates glasskittens words... wonders why some people are easier to classify as male or female than others and how I ended up being in the gray area - yuuum, cupcake's goooood.... Silently thanks glasskitten for treat...: :X <--- mouth full of cupcake

Grey
Veteran

#42 Post by Grey »

Glasskitten wrote:...since communicating is more like catapaulting telegrams in glass bottles over a brick wall than navigating through a visual novel for me, anyway.
Sounds rather dangerous to me. :shock:

*must take more care when navigating forums in future*

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#43 Post by Megaman Z »

Glasskitten wrote:...It gets me kind of worried when people directly ask, as in--If you have to ask, are you trying to decide whether to treat me differently? =^0.o^=
nope. I personally don't really care too much if someone is male, female, or (even though it hasn't happened yet) an asexual life-form
As for this forum, I personally remember spending some time staring at eclipse's icon in an attempt to determine her gender.
yeah. kinda difficult, isn't it?
...I was relieved when more informed people provided the public with the appropriate pronouns, and when she removed all remaining doubt by releasing the first English-language bishounen game. It was easier to guess for most of the other members.
...and yet somehow, after AP was released, I still screwed up and called him a guy - wait... scratch "him", put "her" in.
Why does it matter to me?
Well, my perception of a forum-goer's gender generally does not affect my behavior toward him/her, since communicating is more like catapaulting telegrams in glass bottles over a brick wall than navigating through a visual novel for me, anyway. However, when I read a thread, I can see everything taking place in my mind's eye. I can see the people's lips move, and I can see the gestures they make based on the "intonation" of the text. (Things really get interesting when they use *actions* to influence the movie taking place.) Usually the people I see are kind of hazy, and not exactly normal-looking like the kind I would see if I switched on the TV right now--more like conceptual spirit-snapshots based partly on their screen names, partly on their avatars past and present, and partly on the things they say about themselves and the way they say them. I need a gender to complete the picture accurately, and inaccuracy really bugs me.
I'm one step above you: I hear voices.
...since communicating is more like catapaulting telegrams in glass bottles over a brick wall than navigating through a visual novel for me, anyway
umm... how high are we talking?
Did I mention I am extensively synesthetic?
*goes to dictionary.com...* ah... that would make some sense to me...
Anyone who actually takes the time to read my verbose, irrelevant ramblings gets a cupcake.
there any left?
Postscript: I apologize on behalf of the girls who have caused mikey discomfort in the past.
right... *doesn't have a clue*
Grey wrote:Sounds rather dangerous to me. :shock:

*must take more care when navigating forums in future*
hiya, Grey!
~Kitsune Zeta

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#44 Post by rioka »

Megaman Z wrote:
right... *doesn't have a clue*
:pats Zeta and gives him one of several extra cupcakes snatched earlier: Here, have a cupcake. No, have two - you really need another one...

JackalAndromeda
Regular

#45 Post by JackalAndromeda »

Glasskitten wrote:I was a little bit amused and mildly displeased when I started playing online games, and people would have to ask me what gender I was in real life, despite my avatar's female gender and modest clothing.
In MMORPGs, all bets are off in regards to gender. I was up really late one night on WoW playing my little Tauren Hunter and I was questing in the starting area with someone from Australia (The only other person in the zone since it's an East Coast server and most people were in bed). I had a lovely time until the asked a/s which I found odd because most people just assume I'm male especially when I'm playing a male character. I say 20/f and he says, and I quote; "FEMALE?!"

"Yeah, girls play this game. ^.^"

Well, I am on a PvP server and there aren't too many girls. My sister's guild has about five or six though.

In general I don't mind when people call me 'dude' or 'he' and I don't bother to correct them because it gets really stupid when they find out I'm a girl. I don't understand the sometimes huge change in the way they interact with me. I'm still the same player. :roll: I live several hundred or even thousand miles away, so it's not like we'll ever meet in a non-game setting. When it's just people typing and fighting in a video game how can gender possibly impact that?