BASIC

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
darkknight
Veteran

BASIC

#1 Post by darkknight »

completely random thing.....
I am in training to become a hacker of sorts and i have a really simple question that has been bugging me.

In the programming lanuage of BASIC would anyone know how to Transfer letters into numbers without the very wordy
A = 1
B = 2
that would take a while

I am making a password breaker to call my own and i would like to be able to be able to figure letters out along with the numbers in passwords.

any information would be of help.
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: BASIC

#2 Post by PyTom »

darkknight wrote:I am in training to become a hacker of sorts and i have a really simple question that has been bugging me.
Hacker is a word with two meanings.

On one side is the person with a fascination with computers, the kind of person who programs not just as a job, but for the love of it, who has little idea how to handle life without programming. These are the people who brought us things like the internet, people who make everyone's life better, some of the unsung heroes of the modern age.

On the other side are the crackers, the script-kiddies. They're no better then the common thief or vandal.

Decide which side you're on.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#3 Post by papillon »

... Actually, a cracker and a script-kiddie are two entirely different things, afaik... script kiddies just like to play with toys. They don't tend to know what they're doing or care really. They don't do anything challenging or create anything on their own, they just use tools that someone else has created. They will try to crack into things, but only using bots, automated tools, and so on. They're not usually very interested in breaking any *particular* machine, more in just seeing what they CAN break.

A 'cracker' is more of a 'destructive hacker' - someone creative and talented with computers, but interested in using that talent for what would generally be considered bad/criminal purposes.

Or so I understand the terminology.

bookie
Veteran

#4 Post by bookie »

papillon wrote:Or so I understand the terminology.
This is how I saw it too.

darkknight
Veteran

#5 Post by darkknight »

No-one has really answered my question...And i know the difference between a hacker and a cracker...
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

darkknight wrote:No-one has really answered my question.
At least in my case, that was intentional. I do know the answer, assuming that it hasn't changed since the good old C= 64 basic days.

I don't believe in supporting destructive behavior.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

darkknight
Veteran

#7 Post by darkknight »

I want to be able to break passwords to be a network tech...For example...if someone locks themself out of their os and i dont feel like running a second OS to gain access to the registry.

denzil
Veteran

#8 Post by denzil »

darkknight wrote:I want to be able to break passwords to be a network tech...For example...if someone locks themself out of their os and i dont feel like running a second OS to gain access to the registry.
Then is much easier just login as administrator and reseting/changing password from there than using brute force attack.

Erik
Regular

#9 Post by Erik »

I wouldn't expect this bit of info to be of so much use to Evil, though~ ;) What would you run the code on if you don't want another OS and you can't get into the machine?

Grey
Veteran

#10 Post by Grey »

The idea of a network tech is to make sure that that sort of thing is as hard to do as possible. The idea is to be the person holding the keys, not one of several holding a crowbar.

darkknight
Veteran

#11 Post by darkknight »

lol is was such a simple answer...char$

Well thanks for all your help...

bookie
Veteran

#12 Post by bookie »

no prob. :twisted: