How Acceptable is Rape in Games?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Fluffycrow
Regular
Projects: Akita Files (WIP, mystery/otome)

Re: How Acceptable is Rape in Games?

#46 Post by Fluffycrow »

Der Tor wrote:Of course i also heard of the Japanese genre of "rape simulation games". The goal in all such games is really to brutally rape and kill as many cute underage girls as you can. Once you raped and killed everyone you have won the game and get the good ending... They usually have very realistic 3D graphics and you get bonus points for coming up with especially brutal and sadistic ways to rape the girls (think hardcore guro but as an interactive "game" with realistic 3D graphics) and the girls are usually around elementary school age or even younger. At least this is basically what the description at Mobby Games says about the more prominent titles from this genre.
O.O You're serious about this? Oh God...

That's pretty awful. When it's used as a plot device, I don't mind games that include rape, but something like this is just... terrible.

filsduloup
Regular
Projects: Alchimical Girl -Homuncule-

#47 Post by filsduloup »

everything depends on the audience you want to touch and the way you present the thing!
in many video game just do something immoral killing, stealing without a problem!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#48 Post by LVUER »

Even the most respectable heroes in many RPG games are thief. They breaking and entering people's houses as they like and taking whatever they like (even if the item was locked inside a treasure chest).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

playswithtribbles
Regular
Projects: 'Paths of Twilight' A Fantasy GxB game with a RPG flavor. Sprites: 18% Script: 35-38% BGs: 18% Music: 100%

#49 Post by playswithtribbles »

LVUER wrote:Even the most respectable heroes in many RPG games are thief. They breaking and entering people's houses as they like and taking whatever they like (even if the item was locked inside a treasure chest).
Off topic...
But I tend to love thief-type characters in RPG's.
One of the 'catchable' characters in the game I'm making is based off a thief type...
-Dark Helmet-"And so you see Lonestar, that evil will always triumph! Because good is dumb."

linkdragon0
Veteran
Projects: ILoMG, Nomads

#50 Post by linkdragon0 »

In CLANNAD:
Ryou threatens to rape Kappei in his sleep so she can have his child if he won't go through with the surgery to get rid of his cancer.
I have to say, A very epic moment, and was used VERY Well in my opinion.
My handle is Shoe, please use it if you prefer.

International League of Magical Girls
Story: 60%
Script: 15%
Art: 33.33%
Music: 0.002%
Comedy: <9000%

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#51 Post by PyTom »

Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Jake
Support Hero

#52 Post by Jake »

PyTom wrote:...
The problem with David Mitchell is that taking him seriously is incredibly difficult.

(Still, I'm not sure if you have a point, or if you're just posting the video because it's vaguely on-topic and amusing...)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#53 Post by kara24601 »

Since this is such an adult topic shouldn't this thread be in the 18+ rather than general? Just wondering. Anyway some things on here have seriously ticked me off, one post especially has gotten me fired up but at least most people here are being more intelligent and mature about it. And kudos to those awesome people. For me, personally, I am sick and tired of rape stuff. I think, I maybe would be a little less intense about my stance and stuff if certain people weren't such idiots about it and if it wasn't literally everywhere I look, everywhere I turn. Sadly, stuff I otherwise enjoy (of course the rape scenes in question being the only downsides to such games), such as Princess Maker or True Love or 3 maids even those games have some rape scenario or more than one rape scenario in there and it's not just games either. It's every freaking where and as bad as the subject matter itself is, the fact that it is everywhere makes it even worse. Then there are idiots that think it's funny and it's not. Another horrible thing is that of course it's usually women that are the victim. I'm not saying it doesn't happen in yaoi, it obviously does and is unfortunately a popular subject there too but as a woman it really makes me angry, a little scared, and very sad to see rape featured so prominently so often and especially when it's treated as a trivial thing. I'm sorry but this subject and people who are stupid about it ....just really pushs my rage button.