An anime-style Linux Distro...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
ksotaku100
Regular

An anime-style Linux Distro...

#1 Post by ksotaku100 »

I've been wondering for the past few days, how could I make a Linux distro that is all styled like anime, the buttons, menus, all that... how could I do it, I don't know much Linux... any suggestions?

Edit: Hopefully, If I do make a Linux Distro, I hope what I'm doing is not worthless..

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

Re: An anime-style Linux Distro...

#2 Post by luminarious »

I'm confused, what exactly do you mean? If you're just interested in the looks, then what you want to do is a theme for Gnome, KDE or whatever. A distro usually has programs and settings set up differently from the other distros.

How would a user interface look like anime anyway? Huge moe buttons and cute pastel colours? That guy already did it to his Windows 7 desktop, doesn't even need to be Linux.. http://raindropmemory.deviantart.com/ar ... -101284581

Also, why?

Antissa

#3 Post by Antissa »

LainOs (ok, it's actually BSD and the project is dead... but it kinda fits, I guess. It was based on a anime, after all).

But seriously, just look into http://gnome-look.org/ or http://kde-look.org/, depending on which one of the two you're using.

And indeed, why?

mduffor

#4 Post by mduffor »

I'm not sure what you would classify as an "anime-style" distro, since anime has a wide range of styles itself. Perhaps you could give some examples?

You may want to look into the anime desktop mascots that I've seen on some Japanese/Chinese/Korean desktops. They are on-screen avatars, much like a VN character, that you interact with through a conversation bubble (usually) to control different aspects of your computer. So for example if you wanted to write an email, you'd interact with the character to launch your email app. Likewise, when a new email comes in the character could pop up and tell you that you have mail. I don't run any of these characters myself, but here's a link that will at least get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukagaka

Cheers,
Michael
Blog + website = www.mduffor.com

ksotaku100
Regular

#5 Post by ksotaku100 »

mduffor wrote:I'm not sure what you would classify as an "anime-style" distro, since anime has a wide range of styles itself. Perhaps you could give some examples?

You may want to look into the anime desktop mascots that I've seen on some Japanese/Chinese/Korean desktops. They are on-screen avatars, much like a VN character, that you interact with through a conversation bubble (usually) to control different aspects of your computer. So for example if you wanted to write an email, you'd interact with the character to launch your email app. Likewise, when a new email comes in the character could pop up and tell you that you have mail. I don't run any of these characters myself, but here's a link that will at least get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukagaka

Cheers,
Michael
Hmm, never thought of that....

Jake
Support Hero

#6 Post by Jake »

mduffor wrote:I'm not sure what you would classify as an "anime-style" distro, since anime has a wide range of styles itself. Perhaps you could give some examples?
I suddenly have a strange desire for a computer at which, when I want to write an email, instead of moving the mouse and clicking on the email program icon I have to yell "GEEEETTTEEEEEERRRRRR EEEEEEMMAAAAAAIIIIILLLLL!!!!".

Cool pencilly-action-scene effect while the window opens on big impressive applications would be a bonus.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

pkt
Veteran
Completed: I dunno
Projects: Something special

#7 Post by pkt »

I made a live distro customization once for viewing media with media included. If you're making this just for you then start with something like that since it'll be easier to test and set up a theme. No point in building from scratch.
No Active Public Renpy Projects...

usul
Veteran
Projects: Teachings of the Buddha, System-Addict, Generation XxX

#8 Post by usul »

I get the feeling you're looking to make a theme more than a distro. The theme has more to do with the look of your desktop environement, whereas the distro involves a set of programs & repos & such.

You could design a set of icons, desktop backgrounds, windows, fonts, buttons & such and package that as a theme for gnome or kde.
"The universe is non-simultaneously apprehended"
— Buckminster Fuller