new Anime Fan community site now up....

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Eiji
Regular

new Anime Fan community site now up....

#1 Post by Eiji »

Comrades...

I was having a look at a anime group on Yahoo when I get this message on the group site for a system called "AnimeTribe.com"..
I"ve already joined and I think its amazing...

you have to check it out... its got forums, chat, message groups, and more...have a look..its free..

it seems a good way to meet fellow otaku across the street or around the world...

http://www.animetribe.com
"Who's the more foolish? the Fool? or the Fool who follows him?" -- Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi

"if you could tune into the fantasy life of a 9 year old girl, you can make a fortune in this buisness" -- George Lucas

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#2 Post by Blue Lemma »

It's a neat site! But I signed up, and I can't find anyone from my town... :cry:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

I'm in. (And people can search for me under the pytom@bishoujo.us email.)

A ranged distance search would work better than an exact town match.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

#4 Post by Guest »

Blue Lemma wrote:It's a neat site! But I signed up, and I can't find anyone from my town... :cry:
dont worry lemma...
its still a NEW site...give it some time..

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

Anonymous wrote:dont worry lemma... its still a NEW site...give it some time..
I'm not sure how true that is. It claims over 1M members (I'm not sure I believe that), and randomly clicking shows members that have been around since February. So that's not particularly new, at least according to internet timescales.

I think what the site is utterly lacking is search capability, and that really hurts a large site. For example, there's no ranged geographic search, which means I'd have to enter the name of towns near me in order to get people in those towns. Heck, I actually live in an ambiguous area that could be called by two names.

This lack of search goes across the board. It's hard to find an interesting tribe, as there are over 1000 tribes, but no way to search on/in them. One would have to browse all of them... not something many people have time for.

In general, I think the geography is pretty bad. They tend to jump right from country to town without an intervening state level. At least in the US, that doesn't work. Portland, Oregon and Portland, Maine are distinct places, but this site doesn't know that.

Finally, did anyone else notice that some large fraction of the population is from the Phillipines? Not like there's anything wrong with that, just thought it worthy of comment.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#6 Post by rioka »

Yes, their search criteria is definitely lacking. In some cases, some people put in a region as their city name which can cause confusion or didn't put any town at all. ..120 pages from the Philippines :whistles:

I think it's a matter of getting the word out about this place before you see more people from a certain area. ...And what's with that popularity part under the profiles? <.<'

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#7 Post by papillon »

It's not *very* new... I know I've been spammed about it multiple times in the past, and some of them were at the least several months ago. Never bothered to look at the site though.