Age differences for love

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Chansel
Veteran
Projects: School's Out! -- A GxB or GxG VN/Dating Sim

Age differences for love

#1 Post by Chansel »

So, what do you guys think is an acceptable age difference? And what is not acceptable xD
Personally, I think the age difference can get bigger the older you get. When you're 10 and you're with an 18 year old, that's very wrong... But when you're 30 and you're with an 38 year old, that's normal.
But what about the 'grey area'? By which I mean an 17 year old with an 23-24 year old? Or a girl that's 19 with a guy that's 15-16? And I specifically said girl here, because the guys are older most of the time. Not the other way around. Which is a fun thing to discuss all on its own :P Because if the above example is the other way around (guy = 19 girl = 15-16), then that's mostly accepted. While most people go 'uhm, I dunno...' when a girl is older.

Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter :)
Image ~ A GxB or GxG Visual Novel/Dating Sim

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Age differences for love

#2 Post by Wintermoon »

Are you talking about real relationship or relationships in fiction?

In real life, so long as both partners are happy with their relationship, I don't think age matters (and I don't think other people's relationships are any of my business anyway). Some people are too immature to be in a serious relationship, but different people mature at different ages, and this has nothing to do with the age of the partner.

In fiction, I am even more tolerant. A real ten year old is way too young to be in a serious relationship, but a fictional ten year old might not be.

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#3 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Personally? I keep the "Papa(?)" rule in place. That is, if he's old enough to be my father, he's off limits. XD (So roughly thirteen+ years older). Then again, that'll probably change as I get older. I mean, I'm nineteen now, so dating a thirty two year old isn't unheard of, but a bit strange. The two of us would be from different worlds - it would be tough to have a serious relationship.

In fiction I'll go with nearly anything as long as the characters are similar in mental age. That is, if you have a thirteen year old with a twenty-something, that's normally creepy, unless the thirteen year old acts like a twenty year old. Then I can usually swallow it just fine.

Nanashiko
Regular

#4 Post by Nanashiko »

To me it really varies from person to person. Case to Case. Especially in fiction writing.

I don't really like putting a label and saying you are between this age so you should be dating this age group. However if you are under 15 years of age and saying you love someone. I am sorry I am going to call bull shit. You are just probably starting to go through puberty, I have doubts on how much about 'love' a 14 or 13 year old really knows. When they barely understand what their body is going through. I generally have the same attitude 15-20. Though I feel they have a bit more years and are usually more stable. I would prefer them to date within their own age group. Though it depends on the person, if they are mature 17 year old, then I wouldn't mind them dating a young college student. (a 20-25 year old)

Though I hope we are going with just emotions, not physical relationships(by this I mean, sex). Cause that opens up a whole other door.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#5 Post by Deji »

To me, same age group is the best. You have the same background and a similar view of the world, so you can connect better imo.
(It's really awkward when your'e with your bf/gf and his/her friends and they talk about something you don't even know because you are too young, or they're talking about this other thing that you never actually cared about because you were too old for it >> )

I think "half your age plus seven" works nicely, though I agree with PrettySammy09: if it's old enough to be your parent (or young enough to be your kid), then it's eww 8D

Kids and teens, I think it's best to have no more than one year difference. Older works better if the older partner is the male (in het, at least. No idea about how homo relationships work), since *supposedly* buys mature later than women (also I know a good amount of women between 12 and 30 that wouldn't even think of dating guys their age, because they think they're too immature, and they like their partners to have a better idea of what they want in life)

This is all my personal pov. I've never gone out win anybody younger than me or older than me for more than a year; I like to have an equal partner C:
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Wintermoon »

Deji wrote:To me, same age group is the best. You have the same background and a similar view of the world, so you can connect better imo.
I think this varies a lot between people. Most people in my own age group have always been alien to me. Most people in general have always been alien to me. When I do find someone to whom I can connect - a very rare occurrence - they are often much older or much younger than me.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#7 Post by LVUER »

According to Feng-Shui, the best age difference for a couple is 8 years old. The second best is 4. This is calculated using Shio (Chinese Zodiac/birth star-sign). Of course in reality, it's very hard (and far) to have find someone 8 years different from you.

The worst couple is 6 years difference since you'll get the worst pair in your zodiac (exact opposite in the wheel).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#8 Post by azureXtwilight »

My mother said that the maximum age differences is 5 years old, personally I like older guys whose age range is no more than 2 years, because it's still easier to me to understand him and get along with his friends :)

kantocan1
Regular

#9 Post by kantocan1 »

I agree with people that as long as their not old enough to be your parent or kid, it's fine.
Obviouslythe age gap recommendation would probably rise to about 6 years the older you get, though not higher than that, after all;
might be too many differences after that.

----------------------edit-----------------------
Actually maybe it doesn't matter too much, well as long as they're mature enough i guess.
Last edited by kantocan1 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love GxB/Otome games! (Same thing really).

Anyone here like Bleach?

LVUER
King of Lolies

#10 Post by LVUER »

I think you don't have to mind age gap so much. If you love him/her, just go for it!
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#11 Post by azureXtwilight »

LVUER wrote:I think you don't have to mind age gap so much. If you love him/her, just go for it!
You know the controversial couple in our country rite? The female and the male's age gap is soo big most people said that is disgusting :D :lol:

LVUER
King of Lolies

#12 Post by LVUER »

I actually know the couple. One is a highschool teacher (about 30) and the other is her student himself (about 16). They married and still live happily until now... I think right now, the teacher's age is about 50 (you just do the math on how old the student is).

I also know several others, but the one I just wrote is the most extreme I know... Well, not counting a certain middle-aged business-man that marrying several under-aged girls at the same time (which was quite famous and made a big stir on our national television).

DeviantArt Account

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#13 Post by Der Tor »

Yeah.. back when i was in High School my math teacher (around 60) also married one of his students.

Well other people can do what they want, but personally i wouldn't marry a girl when the age difference is THAT enormous. My wife is "only" 5 years older than me (i am 25 and she is 30). But already some of our relatives where against our marriage cause they find that the age difference is too big... i find it weird that when the man is older than the women even really HUGE age differences seem to be acceptable, but when the women is older than the man even really minor age differences seem unacceptable in society... :roll:

Jake
Support Hero

#14 Post by Jake »

Der Tor wrote: when the women is older than the man even really minor age differences seem unacceptable in society... :roll:
Which is pretty weird, since women tend to live a few years longer than men; you'd have thought it would be the preferred way around...
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Chansel
Veteran
Projects: School's Out! -- A GxB or GxG VN/Dating Sim

#15 Post by Chansel »

Though I hope we are going with just emotions, not physical relationships(by this I mean, sex). Cause that opens up a whole other door.
Well, when you reach a certain age, sex is just as much a part of a relationship as anything else, right? I mean, when you become 18-20, it's generally expected that you're having (or at least going to have) sex when you're in a relationship :P Which is actually how this question popped into my head. I know this guy who's 20 and he's in a relationship with a 14 year old girl.. And I know for a fact that he's had sex in his previous relationship(s), so yeah :P
Also, I'm 19 myself and I caught myself flirting with a 15 and a 16 year old the other day O.o Though at the time I thought they were older >.>
Which is pretty weird, since women tend to live a few years longer than men; you'd have thought it would be the preferred way around...
Haha, I've never really thought about it that way. But now that you bring it up, it's actually kinda funny XD
Image ~ A GxB or GxG Visual Novel/Dating Sim