What's the hardest part about making a visual novel?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
alberte
Veteran
Tumblr: klaruga
Deviantart: Klaruga

What's the hardest part about making a visual novel?

#1 Post by alberte »

For me.. it's just starting it, I've got an idea.. but getting it off the ground is something I lack.
I've been wondering this, and others responses
So.. :)
And coding, along with character perspectives.

What's everybodys short-fall?

Chansel
Veteran
Projects: School's Out! -- A GxB or GxG VN/Dating Sim

Re: What's the hardest part about making a visual novel?

#2 Post by Chansel »

For me that would be two things:
1. Finding good artists :S And once you've found them, somehow motivate them enough to draw quickly XD
2. Sticking to a schedule. Everyone has/needs a schedule or some sort of plan, I think. So, I made this very pretty one for myself. But I completely ignore it >.< Which means that finishing the game is taking me longer than planned. Speaking of which, I should really be writing right now ^^" *Starts up Word*
Image ~ A GxB or GxG Visual Novel/Dating Sim

VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

#3 Post by VenusEclipse »

Like Chansel - Sticking to the schedule. When you think you have time to work on something, something pops up.

The main thing for me is backgrounds and every aspect of writing. Getting the point across, making each character's personality realistic to the story, realistic speaking dialogue, describing the setting, editing, and definitely, NOT making it sound boring. XD

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#4 Post by Deji »

For me, it's writing, because I absolutely fail at it xD I can plan, I can outline, I can design, I can draw, i can program (to a point) but I just can't write "Orz

When working on a team, I think the most difficult part is making sure everybody does what they're supposed to do, followed by making sure everybody (including yourself) is motivated enough to keep doing what they're supposed to do and then the dreaded "stick to a schedule" x'D
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Blue Sky
Regular
Projects: The Perfect World, Mahou Shoujo Daisuki!

#5 Post by Blue Sky »

All of it is difficult. And that's why it's so great to see the final product. :)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#6 Post by LVUER »

Perhaps making detailed scenario that interesting enough to make everyone hooked. It's easy to create concept or just rough draft. But when making the real script/scenario, sometimes a simple choose of words could means a lot.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

IceD
Veteran

#7 Post by IceD »

To start with a proper concept. Beggining is always the hardest part and if you fail at pre-dev stage, you won't go anyhere. I don't have much experience working with others, but as far as I know, one of the hardest tasks for any developers (game devs, to be precise) is to manage their group, split the tasks properly beetwen working people and go with all the dev documents and timeline as they should go. It requires a lot of attention, patience... and nerves of steel (mostly). Of course, this applies only when you work with more than two, three people. Small groups are much easier to handle.

Everyone has different difficulties. Some have with certain skills they lack, others have problems with management of both people and the time, while others simply lack the true motivation to go on further, and game developement is a process of it. A fight with your own weaknesses, gathering required knowledge and finding new ways and possibilities to overcome them.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#8 Post by azureXtwilight »

Sticking to schedule, I guess. I find writing (but fail miserably at grammar, oh well) and also designing character fun. Also, finding music fit for the situation and best for your liking is also hard. And when you work solo, well, I guess keeping the motivation alive. I have to see what people think of my creations to keep my motivation alive :mrgreen:

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#9 Post by curry nochi rice »

0.) Characters
1.) Finding Staff members
2.) Programming
3.) Waiting for something because there's no tight schedule... Just a Periodical Deadline
4.) Programming
5.) Music Direction
6.) Directing
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#10 Post by LVUER »

Wait, there is step 0 (zero)? Isn't that mean you haven't even started yet?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

playswithtribbles
Regular
Projects: 'Paths of Twilight' A Fantasy GxB game with a RPG flavor. Sprites: 18% Script: 35-38% BGs: 18% Music: 100%

#11 Post by playswithtribbles »

For me it's the backgrounds.

I actually enjoy doing everything else, scripting, story, coding, character designs...
But the backgrounds take me so long..!
I only hope it will be worth taking all this time to make them 'homemade' when I'm done.
-Dark Helmet-"And so you see Lonestar, that evil will always triumph! Because good is dumb."

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by lepapillonrouge »

Finding time to do it. XD

I mean, I think about it a lot, but I have other things to do with life that prevent from working on my VN 24/7. And drawing. There's a reason why I was grateful when someone offered to draw for my VN Xd
deviantART
---------------------

cloudyssky
Veteran
Completed: Alone
Projects: Many failed ones

#13 Post by cloudyssky »

For me my newest and hardest challange is trying to not come out too early with information on my game. I have a new project in the thought process which will begin after I finish my current project A Day in the Chan. I want to tell the world about this new secrete project, but I know if I come out too early before anything is really done, and try to recruit people right away, then I'll lose potential artists I need because they'll fear a dead project. So rather, I have to come out with the project and recruit once everything is already done. In otherwords: patience isn't my strong suit.
Projects:
Alone- (Horror/Sci-Fi) Complete! Link
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.
{Last worked on Sept/28 : Word count (coding and all) ~4500}

dstarsboy
Veteran

#14 Post by dstarsboy »

Definitely getting all the art done is the hardest part. Once it's all done, it's a great feeling making the game come together.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

vaanknight
Regular
Completed: Happy Weird-Day! How a freckled fairy can save your world (Or get more freckles in the process...)"
Projects: Nameless 2D Fighting Game

#15 Post by vaanknight »

hm, for some reason, I only find hard to keep myself motivated from day one, to finishing the project, I always end up writing a bit and then going to draw some random thing or playing pokemon, or whatever...

getting the music is pretty tough for me too, either I make a crappy mix by myself or use copyrighted material, I'm too perfectionist to overlook things like that, so I end up losing interest if I'm not quite capable of pulling off exactly what I want.