What is your favortie book to read???

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Topagae

Re: What is your favortie book to read???

#31 Post by Topagae »

Interesting. I'm trying to gauge what experienced and new users think of visual Novels. When I showed my friends Phoenix Wright, they would never admit it was a novel, just a game.

Jake
Support Hero

#32 Post by Jake »

Topagae wrote:When I showed my friends Phoenix Wright, they would never admit it was a novel, just a game.
Phoenix Wright is a bit of a different case to most regular VNs, because it also has a lot of interaction on the part of the user; you decide when to interject, to press for more information and so on in the courtroom scenes, and you choose how to talk to people and where to look for clues outside of the court.

It's still ultimately a very linear experience, there's one 'correct' way through each case (at least the PW games I've played) and no real branching/alternate paths, but the fact that you spend most of your time making decisions - regardless of how meaningful those decisions are - makes most people think of a game. With most regular VNs, on the other hand, you spend most of your time reading and not making decisions. There are a large number of very successful VNs with no decisions in at all, and it's very hard to call those ones games!

I'd be reluctant to call PW a novel, simply because none of the cases are long enough and they can be kind of fragmentary story-telling wise, but it's certainly the case that the main charm of the games lies in the writing. The general consensus on this forum usually seems to be that VNs aren't really proper games, but it's a convenient way to refer to them and everyone knows what we mean, so we might as well still use the word.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Topagae

#33 Post by Topagae »

Where does one draw the line between a "Game" like Phoenix and a Visual Novel with just lots of choices?

Jake
Support Hero

#34 Post by Jake »

Topagae wrote:Where does one draw the line between a "Game" like Phoenix and a Visual Novel with just lots of choices?
'Game' has as contentious a definition as 'art', but generally I would say that a 'game' is something where there is an element of challenge, where the player/s can clearly win or lose, and the result is dependent on some decision-interaction from the player.

So to my mind:
- Phoenix Wright would be a game, because it's possible to win and lose, and this win/loss is dependent on the decisions the player takes.
- A VN which has six alternate endings based on any number of choices isn't generally a game, because alternate endings generally aren't clear win/loss but different stories starting from the same point. (A 'bad end' usually isn't a 'loss' any more than a novel with a depressing ending is a 'loss'.)
- Playing (for example) Rock/Paper/Scissors against a computer isn't really a game in this sense, because it's entirely based on chance and the player's decisions basically don't influence events; the result could be equally-validly determined without the player's input.

(A lot of people will probably disagree with that last one, but I would consider "games of chance" completely separate from "games of skill", which is really what I mean here.)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

fortaat
Regular

#35 Post by fortaat »

Topagae wrote:Where does one draw the line between a "Game" like Phoenix and a Visual Novel with just lots of choices?
How does one draw a line between a novel with a few pictures(Slaughterhouse-Five), and a comic book? There's no clear line, as even the purest novels will still use visual elements (like paragraphs).

There is no clear line, as the very definitions are arbitrary and obscure. The only way to make such a distinction is based on the general consensus. Do most people consider PW a game? If so, it probably is.

Topagae

#36 Post by Topagae »

Hmmm. That makes statistical analysis difficult. Sadness

Fluffycrow
Regular
Projects: Akita Files (WIP, mystery/otome)

#37 Post by Fluffycrow »

Ah--I just remembered a manga series I forgot to mention. Chobits. Usually I hate "moe" types of characters, but... Chii. <3 She's too damn cute. I find her awfully relatable as a heroine as well; despite her naivete, Chii's a smart girl, and that sort of thing is rare in manga.

Doggy Nino
Regular
Projects: Crystal Hearts (Discontinued)

#38 Post by Doggy Nino »

So you like Chobits too? Chi is a very cunning girl though people just don't realise it... Though is very funny manga as well as the anime. It has a very dramatic plot that just all the more love able to just read. Though out of all of the characters in Chobits Kotoko is my favorite. I love how she honest (even though it's due to her programming...) and is kinda like a big sister to Chi and becomes part of Chi's family! ( Yeah all the cool perscons are together!) XD
Here's a picture of her and Sumomo. I know I didn't have to put on here but I couldn't help it.
Attachments
Yay Chobits!
Yay Chobits!
"In our world of big names, curiously, our true heroes tend to be anonymous. In this life of illusion and quasi-illusion, the person of solid virtues who can be admired for something more substantial than his well-knownness often proves to be the unsung hero: the teacher, the nurse, the mother, the honest cop, the hard worker at lonely, underpaid, unglamorous, unpublicized jobs." -Daniel J. Boorstin

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#39 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Anne Bishops' Black Jewels Series. I could read those books over and over and over again. And I do XD I will forever love those books <3

For manga.... hmmm, right now maybe ones I really like are Until Death do Us Part, Heart no Kuni no Alice, Moon Boy, Dengeki Daisy, Deadman Wonderland, Karakuri Odette, Love so Life, Ryuu no Hanawazurai, Sarasah, Sengoku Strays, Shitsurakuen, Strobe Edge, Suki-tte Ii na yo, The World God only knows, Yankee-kun to Megane-chan and Yostubato... they are the ones I am addicted to right now, but that changes regularly.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#40 Post by azureXtwilight »

All books made by Agatha Christie, Sidney Sheldon, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Call me old-fashioned, but I really like mysteries and criminal stories.

Also, Anne from Green Gables series ><

As for light-novels, I play VN :mrgreen:

And for manga, I love the Electric Daisy series and Death Note, also Bleach ^^

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#41 Post by lepapillonrouge »

Haha. I read Anne of Green Gables as a kid.

Huh. I really don't read a lot ...nah. That's a lie. I read a lot. I just don't read a lot of books, unless you count the Visual Novels to be books XD. ...and that's mostly Fantasia.

But what I do like are...
Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (it's up there with my favorite books ever. Seriously.)
Harry Potter (clichéd, but...Snape. SNAPE!)
A lot of my AP books, such as
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (XD Is it sad to say that this book changed my life forever? Like, seriously?! I know for most people their life changing book is 1984 but...BERNARD! I can really relate to that guy. Knowing how to be an individual simply because he is different...he's like...a teenager XD)
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (I love Hester. She's so admirable! But you can kick Pearl's butt.)
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (It's just good.)
And others, such as
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (It doesn't really get awesome until the middle, but you really need to read the beginning to go WTF what is this? surprise.)
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (It's been a while, but it has a similar dystopian vision to BNW...or not, but they're both dystopias XD And burning books is like hell to rouge. :D)

I should read more books, actually...
deviantART
---------------------

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#42 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I really liked Brave New World. It was so interesting and kind of creepy how he predicted so much.

Topagae

#43 Post by Topagae »

Ah Brave New World and 1984. Combined with Snow Crash and video games it's basically the whole of my personality

Doggy Nino
Regular
Projects: Crystal Hearts (Discontinued)

#44 Post by Doggy Nino »

Well I love books that contain horror books and pretty much anything that has to do with crime or justice. Also I have a little bit of taste for romance books as long as they contain some comedy or drama...*starts to get embrassed and shy all of sudden* (Miggles looks at me almost as if it's saying what the crud go back to being cheerful, weird, hot-headed, and tomyboyish!) Hey!! I'm not that weird... okay I'm a little more bizzare then most people that's just because I not that social. Anyways getting back on topic I use to watch this anime along time ago so i'm gonna try and read the manga if it's out there. If anyone is interested it's called hare+guu it's very funny and extremely bizzare so if that seems like your kinda of manga try reading! Here's what it looks like...be warned it maybe to bizzare for your liking or it's to childish.

Here's for info about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Har%C3%A9_and_Guu
Attachments
Hare+Guu vol 1 cover!
Hare+Guu vol 1 cover!
27922.jpg (62.08 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
"In our world of big names, curiously, our true heroes tend to be anonymous. In this life of illusion and quasi-illusion, the person of solid virtues who can be admired for something more substantial than his well-knownness often proves to be the unsung hero: the teacher, the nurse, the mother, the honest cop, the hard worker at lonely, underpaid, unglamorous, unpublicized jobs." -Daniel J. Boorstin

Topagae

#45 Post by Topagae »

This topic made me want to read again.

Currently reading: The sequel to "In the Night Garden" called "In the City of Coin and Spice"

It's a story about a faerie tales where they tell faerie tales about faerie tales because there's a faerie tale about the fact these faerie tales are inscribed on the body of the girl telling the faerie tales.

It makes more sense if you read it >_>