Help! Teens Are Using Digital Drugs to Get High

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
AllegroDiRossi
Regular
Tumblr: daroross
Deviantart: daroross

Help! Teens Are Using Digital Drugs to Get High

#1 Post by AllegroDiRossi »

SOURCE : http://gizmodo.com/5587249/help-teens-a ... o-get-high
Kids around the country are getting high on the internet, thanks to MP3s that induce a state of ecstasy. And it could be a gateway drug leading teens to real world narcotics.

At least that's what Kansas News 9 is reporting about a phenomenon called I-dosing, which involves finding an online dealer who can hook you up with "digital drugs" that get you high through your headphones.
There are three things I find utterly ridiculous about this:

[1] There are teenagers stupid enough to believe this, at least to the point of trying it out (as evidenced by numerous try-it videos on youtube)

[2] There are parents impulsive enough to rally around a cause against this without doing their research on whether such a thing exists.

[3] There is a news station somewhere in the US that actually reported on it as though it were a real concern or threat (also without doing research, like any reputable news source is supposed to).
Live Life Heroically

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Help! Teens Are Using Digital Drugs to Get High

#2 Post by LVUER »

I am ... speechless... As if this technology could really exists. If it is, then we could throw away all those expensive and addictive drugs. Kids, they will try and believe everything.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

LinWest
Regular
Projects: Painted Walls, Pyrexia, & a secret

#3 Post by LinWest »

Binaural Beats and isochronic tones are the "digital drugs."

Basically, its a sound you listen to on headphones. Two different frequencies played in each ear, and the difference of the frequencies is what you here. And then...

"This binaural beat is not heard in the ordinary sense of the word (the human range of hearing is from 20-20,000 Hz). It is perceived as an auditory beat and theoretically can be used to entrain specific neural rhythms through the frequency-following response (FFR)--the tendency for cortical potentials to entrain to or resonate at the frequency of an external stimulus. Thus, it is theoretically possible to utilize a specific binaural-beat frequency as a consciousness management technique to entrain a specific cortical rhythm." from here.

It works too. There's frequencies for pain relief, quitting smoking and other habits, meditating, lucid dreaming, energizing, creativity, alpha wavelengths, beta wavelengths, theta wavelengths, and of course ecstasy. I've tried ecstasy ones myself... just makes your heart race and maybe rouse your interest. Maybe. It doesn't compare at all to real drugs/sex obviously. Most made to boost moods, like the beats in question, are really temporary anyway, and in my experience, only last maybe five minutes and half an hour MAX afterwards.

It's utter nonsense that they're worried about it. If anything kids are going to check it out not and want to try it, since the average high schooler isn't interested in meditation and the like... which is what binaural beats are primary used for. Not "getting high".
Lin West @Deviant Art

Working on:

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Wintermoon »

Gotta love the "something that satisfies some need is a gateway to everything else that satisfies the same need" logic.
Violent games are a gateway to real violence!
Healthy food is a gateway to junk food!
Reading is a gateway to watching television all day!
Contact lenses are gateway to laser eye surgery!

LVUER
King of Lolies

#5 Post by LVUER »

So the danger is, after kids try digital drugs and not satisfied with it, they will move on to real drugs?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

Spiky Caterpillar
Veteran
Completed: Lots.
Projects: Black Closet
Organization: Slipshod

#6 Post by Spiky Caterpillar »

AllegroDiRossi wrote:SOURCE : http://gizmodo.com/5587249/help-teens-a ... o-get-high
Kids around the country are getting high on the internet, thanks to MP3s that induce a state of ecstasy. And it could be a gateway drug leading teens to real world narcotics.

At least that's what Kansas News 9 is reporting about a phenomenon called I-dosing, which involves finding an online dealer who can hook you up with "digital drugs" that get you high through your headphones.
There are three things I find utterly ridiculous about this:

[1] There are teenagers stupid enough to believe this, at least to the point of trying it out (as evidenced by numerous try-it videos on youtube)
The theory is interesting, so testing it is reasonable; the placebo effect will generate a small level of druglike effects in the general populace, and the awesome troll value of managing to get a school district to ban music for fear of semuta addiction is going to motivate an awful lot of positive results...

It's also possible that this is part of a marketing campaign for something (possibly this 'Gates of Hades' piece prominently mentioned?) - an uninformed moral panic is GREAT publicity if you're selling something that's supposed to appeal to the rebellious.
[2] There are parents impulsive enough to rally around a cause against this without doing their research on whether such a thing exists.
... Are you questioning the bedrock on which a century or so of our drug laws are based?
[3] There is a news station somewhere in the US that actually reported on it as though it were a real concern or threat (also without doing research, like any reputable news source is supposed to).
Hah. I've seen 'reputable' news sources run headlines that directly contradict the text of the article, to say nothing of the stories where the article completely misreports the results of the study and the pile of stories that seem to be mostly just slightly reshuffled versions of the Reuters and AP feeds on the matter.
Nom nom nom nom nom LEAVES.

IceD
Veteran

#7 Post by IceD »

Haha! This reminds me of an almost similiar technology called the "lever upper" in "A certain scientific Railgun" anime, which was also a kind of booster that empowered all espers, though not without a sacrifice. So, this wasn't a fiction after all :)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by DaFool »

Yup, I thought of 'Level-Upper' as well!

This is cool though, in a way. All those 'Relaxing music' soundtrack bundles now start to make sense.

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#9 Post by sayuri »

Spiky Caterpillar wrote: Hah. I've seen 'reputable' news sources run headlines that directly contradict the text of the article, to say nothing of the stories where the article completely misreports the results of the study and the pile of stories that seem to be mostly just slightly reshuffled versions of the Reuters and AP feeds on the matter.
Oh Oprah has your own show gotten so pedestrian you can't bother to check your own sources?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slDAPms8Tvs

Eh, I'm not worried about 'digital drugs'. I've used some of them for meditation/sleep but not for actually getting high. Doesn't listening to your favorite song raise your endorphins? There's nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't pay good money for some weird bleating noises however :roll:.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#10 Post by LVUER »

Actually, as long as it's not (highly) addictive or produce nasty side effects on your body, we don't have to worry...

DeviantArt Account

ForgottenVision
Regular
Projects: The Student Council

#11 Post by ForgottenVision »

Lulz... I've actually seen these before. I remember trying the Vicodin one a a bit back (y'know, so I could be cool like House) and all it did was make me feel a bit numb... I think that a lot of it comes from the placebo effect, though tbh.
Racheya @ Forgotten Vision Presents...
When Sapphires Cry - Episode 1 [Completed] (Not Publicly Released)
One Afternoon [Completed] - More Info/Download here
The School Council [WIP] - BxG
When Sapphires Cry - Episode 2 [Postponed]

zephiel
Regular

#12 Post by zephiel »

I come to this forum after long neglect.
See this and promptly pull my palm of my hand unto my forehead in a fashion that is much remnant of our forefathers reaction to our younger sense of idiocy.

I will say however, this does have minor effects.
I was quite skeptical when i tried these, but it has some interesting effects.
The marijuana one wasn't true to the name, it wasn't like getting high off pot. But it did make me feel kinda highish, and dizzy.
I also tried others, such as LSD, and Gods hand. both were interesting, but not what they were hyped to be.
Its definitely possible to get high off sound or lights, but i dont quite thing technology has perfected it enough.
At least I don't thing Hand of God was worth 200 bucks.
I will try Gates of hades, eventual.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
......................ZZZ
.................ZZZ zuu, zenthosa nara verr nehi zunu.
.............ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Altsyph

#13 Post by Altsyph »

I tried these two years ago. Didn't work for me at least.
To tell the truth I don't really believe this is going to make them move to RL drugs, and they're on net for a while. So mostly I think these news are fake o.o

Fluffycrow
Regular
Projects: Akita Files (WIP, mystery/otome)

#14 Post by Fluffycrow »

I remember hearing a rumor that the Lavender Town theme from Pokemon Red and Blue would have some sort of hallucinogenic effect once... Obviously it's false, seeing as how I've heard that music plenty of times myself.

J. Datie
Veteran

#15 Post by J. Datie »

Fluffycrow wrote:I remember hearing a rumor that the Lavender Town theme from Pokemon Red and Blue would have some sort of hallucinogenic effect once... Obviously it's false, seeing as how I've heard that music plenty of times myself.
Aha, I remember hearing about that, too. Apparently, the original version had certain notes that only children (and maybe dogs) could hear. Somehow, this would give people headaches, and they would start bleeding out of their ears and, for some reason, eyes. Then they would kill themselves, because anything's better than taking Advil. And also because it makes for a scarier story.