"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit a

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Topagae

#1 Post by Topagae »

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit..."
Last edited by Topagae on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Getting in the games industry

#2 Post by LVUER »

Yes, I know that living in video game industry is hard and unfair (people that get lots of money and fame are only the few up there). Just like animation and manga industry... I've done a little research here and there. But still... perhaps a childhood dream is just too hard to let go.

Too bad I don't live anywhere near Bay Area... in fact, I happen to live at the opposite side of Earth from Bay Area.

I could do a little programming myself... though my major is information system, so instead of coding, I concentrate on database and business management. Now I'm regret it a bit why I don't take software engineering... not, I'm not that good to take that major anyway. It's not that bad I think, since by taking that major, now I'm not afraid with technology and PC anymore...

Though I think my programming knowledge is enough to make simple games like hybrid VN, RPG, or Flash/casual games... which pretty much I'm going after right now (because it's more realistic to chase this goal).

Anyway, thank you very much for the offer. I really wish I could join you, since it could be a precious working experiences.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Topagae

#3 Post by Topagae »

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit..."
Last edited by Topagae on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#4 Post by jack_norton »

Even at Zynga you have the crazy policy adopted by many game software houses of working until late like a stakanovists (unpaid overtime, crunch hours)?
Many of my indie developer friends were working on companies like that and decided to go indie fulltime to avoid going insane :D
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Topagae

#5 Post by Topagae »

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#6 Post by papillon »

Ah, but Jack and I live the glamourous fulltime indie lifestyle!

... well, for varying amounts of glamourous. :)

(I'm not sure just how much I'd have to be paid to willingly go back to an employment situation. I suppose it would depend on the situation. I can imagine a cushy setup where someone pays me to do what I do anyway, in exchange for getting any excess profit I generate... But I doubt it.)

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#7 Post by jack_norton »

Haha yes, I know it's common, but thought maybe with all the cash Zynga made recently (not including Google's) they could afford to be more friendly towards their employees. Well at one point in my life I was about to pursue that career but after all, I'm happy I didn't :)

papillon: is easy, you just need to change your name (and gender) to Sid Meier :D
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Topagae

#8 Post by Topagae »

Jake
Support Hero

#9 Post by Jake »

Topagae wrote:"Even at Zynga"? My friend, this is COMMON practice throughout the entire Software development industry.
Uhuh. You mean "the entire Software development industry in the US", maybe. Here in the UK at least we have worker's rights.

I work in the software industry; not games, boring HR/payroll stuff. I have literally never in the eight years with my present employer been locked in anywhere, I have never been forced to work overtime, and I have a contractual 35 hour working week and I'm well within my rights to stop work after that, and my employer can't do much to stop me. (Curiously, our entire office works solely for an American company, writing software for the American market.)

My girlfriend, as it happens, works in the games industry. It's true she works a lot of overtime sometimes, but she gets paid damn well for it, and her company throws on all kinds of crazy bonus stuff as an added incentive. To the best of my knowledge she's never been locked in, either. You know why? Because it would be illegal.

I seem to recall hearing that working conditions are even better in France, and I'm pretty sure they have a software industry too...

Now, personally I wouldn't want to work in the games industry, I've never understood why so many people are willing to put up with so much crap to "live their childhood dream".
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Topagae

#10 Post by Topagae »

LVUER
King of Lolies

#11 Post by LVUER »

I was working in software development section of a certain university. Things are also like that, unpaid over-time. I asked my friends and it's pretty much the same all around... deadline is more important than our (programmer) life. You can die but the software must be finished on time...

The reason why I want to work in "real" company is not for career, but only for the working experience (and something cool to add in my CV).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

Topagae

#12 Post by Topagae »

LVUER
King of Lolies

#13 Post by LVUER »

@Topagae:
I've visited the Zynga site and look at the job offers. Too bad I don't have any interest working in China, India, or Bangladesh... I wish they have a job offer in my country (or Japan, cough cough). Oh well...

DeviantArt Account

Topagae

#14 Post by Topagae »

Topagae

#15 Post by Topagae »

Last edited by Topagae on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.