Things that make you wonder IF they were thinking

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#16 Post by PyTom »

You've watched it... you can't un-watch it!
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#17 Post by kara24601 »

It's not just one medicine ad , a bunch of medicine ads make me wonder why they bother making them and why we bother taking them when so many can have unpleasant side effects or cause more problems / another problem when medicine is supposed to help...not hurt or hinder you or make you more sick or make you sick in a different way...ect. For example , something like dramamine is supposed to help with car sickness but it makes one drowsy and some people ( like me ) can't handle the taste so it actually just makes things worse for us.

Hmm...I will usually be jokey about it when I am pretty sure I'm about to ask a stupid question ( ie "Stupid question time! What's today , again?" ) but sometimes I'll ask a stupid question and not realize until later that it was a stupid question ( or if it's really bad I catch it right away but sometimes even then it's already too late... lol )

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#18 Post by musical74 »

Ah yes, the *you need this medicene* and in VERY SMALL PRINT *this medicine is bad for you* types...

Around here there is a system in effect that all cars must go 20 around school zones...even if it is 10:30 at night and all the kids are in bed! <They are working on fixing that...but last I heard it was still in effect>
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

musical74 wrote:Around here there is a system in effect that all cars must go 20 around school zones...even if it is 10:30 at night and all the kids are in bed! <They are working on fixing that...but last I heard it was still in effect>
In my area, I believe they have flashing lights that indicate when the speed limit is in effect- which is only about an hour before school and an hour after school

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#20 Post by Megaman Z »

at times I think that 99.99% of posters on forums are semi-intelligent... and then I see something like this [topic has been deleted] and realize there will always be idiots out on forums.
Last edited by Megaman Z on Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Kitsune Zeta

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#21 Post by Glasskitten »

This is not a new item, but I just want to validate the thing previously observed about medicines...
And this kind especially bugs me:
Take this depression pill and be rid of your symptoms! Warning, it may worsen your symptoms and make you suicidal.
Take this asthma pill and be rid of your symptoms! Warning, your risk of asthma-related death will increase.
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by Megaman Z »

well, I just played cleanup today... seems someone over at the SM forums decided to throw explitives all over the board because nobody would answer his question in under... lemme check the timestamps... three minutes.

more likely than not, the guy (highly doubt it's a girl) will be banned, since I already PM'd the site's main admin in addition to the other administrator.

the first post was timestamped Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:10 pm
the last of his 24 posts was timestamped Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:38 pm

I noticed the highly offensive posts at around... oh, 2:30PM or so. most of the threads are locked (only one of his threads is still unlocked, and I'm leaving it that way for a while), and like I've already said, he's been reported to both admins.
~Kitsune Zeta

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Megaman Z »

okay, this is an official "who decided to be stupid" moment...

I was looking through the phpBB mods (mainly for something to decrease spambot activity at a few forums I frequent, the StepMania boards among them), and I come across this mod.

WHO SENDS A PRIVATE MESSAGE TO THEMSELF?!?

now if you'll excuse me, I have to regain my sanity.
~Kitsune Zeta

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#24 Post by musical74 »

YEESH I can't believe anyone would send a private message to themselves...that seems to be incredibly STUPID
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#25 Post by dizzcity »

At first, I thought it was rather silly myself. But after reading the comments below in the original thread , I sorta see how it could make sense...

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#26 Post by PyTom »

I could see sending a PM to myself to test the forum's software. I also semi-routinely send emails to myself to remind myself of things.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#27 Post by kara24601 »

I can't think of any instance where I'd PM-ed myself but I've emailed myself a few times. Usually because I was at Mom's at the time and sending something to my email so that once I got home , whatever it was I wanted would be waiting for me to download onto my own computer after checking my email :lol:

I can kinda sorta see pm-ing oneself for tests but what's the point otherwise?