RPG Maker (for mac and windows)

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
shadow190
Projects: Kidnapping Love

RPG Maker (for mac and windows)

#1 Post by shadow190 »

Hi!

I know it's a kinda bad question..
But is there something like the "RPG Maker" for Mac AND windows..? (And is for free...?)

Because my best friend, who draws everthing for my VNs, is also very good at the RPG maker, but she uses windows and I only have a mac.. So.. Yeah.. Is there a way?

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: RPG Maker (for mac and windows)

#2 Post by papillon »

The *actual* RPG Maker is not free, so why would you expect there to somewhere out there be an even better version that is? :) (Well, one can always hope!)

There are a lot of projects underway to make tools similar to RPG Maker that will run on more platforms, I specifically know of one in Flash. It is not finished and even when it's done it won't be exactly the same as RPG Maker, it's a different program, so your friend would have to learn to use a different tool anyway if you wanted to collaborate like that.

Glazed Donuts
Regular

#3 Post by Glazed Donuts »

All of the official RPG Maker engines made by Enterbrain/ASCii are only compatible with Windows. There are other RPG engines out there that are probably Mac-friendly.

Another
Regular

#4 Post by Another »

A free RPG editor for both PC and Mac? You can try "Blades of Exile" by Spiderweb Software (download here).

It's a bit old fashioned, and quite difficult to grasp, but it's an open source project and you'll be able to get support from a wide community (just google it and you'll find a lot of websites).

Note that the result won't be a standalone. Basically, you'll use the "BoE Scenario Editor" to create your game, and players will use the "Blades of Exile" engine to run it (both applications are free and included in the download mentioned above).

You may also consider its successor, "Blades of Avernum" by Spiderweb Software. It's much more practical, but it's a shareware (the players will have to buy the engine if they want to run your game :( ).

Of course, these two programs are completely different from the RPG Maker. :wink:

J-chan
Regular
Completed: Notions: First Movement
Projects: Notions

#5 Post by J-chan »

I don't have a lot of experience with Macs, but my friend has one and uses http://www.virtualbox.org/ to play Windows games. You might have to learn your way around it a bit, but you can basically have a sort of computer-within-a-computer and install a copy of Windows on it. It might run more smoothly with an older Windows version (he uses ME), so maybe you could both get an earlier version of RPG Maker?
Notions: First Movement - a J-channel game
A simple love story that began with a suicide note.

(an old early version of a much bigger WIP - stay tuned!)

Raijenki
Regular

#6 Post by Raijenki »

Like Another said, there's Blades of Exile and Blades of Avernum, which I think that are the simplest ones.

If you want things a bit more advanced, but yet easy to use, there's also Torque Game Builder (which is really likely RPG Maker, but shareware), Game Maker and Power Game Factory.

If you wanna try programming: BlitzMax and CrystalSpace.
Both of them has versions for Mac/Windows, so you wont have problems or having things made in Windows and using that in Mac.

shadow190
Projects: Kidnapping Love

#7 Post by shadow190 »

Thanks for your advices guys!

We'll think about it.. :3

misterunix
Projects: Zombie's

#8 Post by misterunix »

Try AGS. Adventure Game Studio.