New TV!!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

New TV!!

#1 Post by musical74 »

While not top of the line (there's no way I can afford that!) it's brand new and it's the first TV I've bought in...15 years?

My old TV had all of ONE connection for everything that I had - that's VCR/DVD, Playstation, Nintendo - and I was able to make everything work thanks to a few adapters. However...the TV finally qwuit working :( So I bought a new TV and am probably going to spend 4 or 5 days going *OK how in the world do I set up the DVD player on this thing??* It's NEW! I got the Playstation system set up already...just have to figure out how to set up the DVD player....all these new controls...new ports (my old TV didn't have an A/V system setup)...may be a few days before I figure out how to get the DVD player running! <SIGH> More days without watching DVDs...I'm gonna go thru DVD-withdrawals...

Old TV - Memorex 17" TV, circa 1990, RF switch in back only, remote
New TV - Magnavox 20" TV, RF switch in back, AV array in front, and new remote. Still trying to figure out how to set DVD player up to new TV

Anyone technical enough to tell me what I need to do to get the DVD/VCR player hooked up to the new TV so I can watch DVDs again? So far I've had no luck.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

Sane method:

Okay, first thing is to find the coxaxial cable connecting to your cable TV. (You may have to connect it to a jack in the wall, if it doesn't come straight through the floor.) Connect it to the rf in (also known as antenna in) jack of the dvd/vcr.

Connect one end of a second coaxial cable to the rf out (antenna out) on the dvd/vcr. Connect the other end of this table to the rf in (antenna in) jack of the tv.

At this point, you should be able to watch tv when the vcr is off, and see the vcr on tv channel 3 or 4 when the vcr is on.

If you are happy with the signal quality, shame on you. You're not getting off that easy.

Procure an a/v cable. Each of the 2 ends of this cable has 3 plugs, colored yellow, red, and white. On the dvd/vcr find a set of output jacks of those three colors, and plug the plugs into the jacks of the same color.

On the TV, find a set of 3 input jacks, of the same three colors. Make the connection.

Now, when the vcr is on, you should be able to see it on the Tv. You may have to press a 'source' or 'input' button, or tune to an odd channel like 00 or 01 to see it, but it should be there.

Congratulations, you're done.

Insane method:

Go to a local store that sells DVDs. Buy the widescreen version of "Serenity". (Many electronics stores are sold out of the widescreen version, so you may have to go to a big box store to find it... I finally found mine at Target.)

Attempt to play it. Recall that one of the movie's taglines is "Can't Stop the Signal".

Return to the store in a huff. Point out that since the signal has been stopped, they must have done something to the DVD, your player, and by extension yourself. Become more and more enraged, and demand they mike it right.

One of the following will happen.

1) They will send someone over to examine your setup until the movie plays.

2) You will be arrested and thrown in jail.

3) You will be committed and sent to an asylum.

In case 1, the problem is solved. In cases 2 and 3, you have much bigger problems to worry about. Either way, your current problems are a non-issue.

What could possibly go wrong.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

GorillaKick
Regular

#3 Post by GorillaKick »

...Or you could RTFM. Always works for me! :D
If liars make promises, then I'm a master craftsman.