Do you ever have long absences?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Elemental-Butterfly
Veteran

Re: Do you ever have long absences?

#31 Post by Elemental-Butterfly »

pkt wrote:I usually get a lot of projects I drop and though I'm getting better at it it still happens. That and I try to keep busy all of the time really. Most of the time I leave for a bit due to social or mental issues. I usually come back though.
O_O you have a lot of projects in your list.

neowired
Regular

#32 Post by neowired »

Happens to me for many different reasons quite often.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#33 Post by rioka »

Reason: Busy as heck. I've just redid the whole Manga Tutorials site which I just re-opened earlier this month and still currently doing tweaks to get everything running juuuust right. I should be back here normally again once things die down a bit.

Problem with coming back after a long time:
New members show up, older members not around as much and you're stuck getting to know everyone again. xD

Nanashiko
Regular

#34 Post by Nanashiko »

Yes, yes I do. Specifically with this forum sadly. If it is a forum I am in love with and have been going constantly for a long period of time, I will try and drop notice to my absence. I never intend to just disappear but sadly college life has not been nice to me. I just don't have time to work on a personal project at the moment.

Sidekick-Boy

#35 Post by Sidekick-Boy »

I tend to forget some places exist, so yes. this site in particular being a good example. I don't even remember the last time I was here.
some account type thingy here

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#36 Post by musical74 »

Waves to Rioka!!!

Frankly I have the same problem as rioka too...I took some time off to deal with college issues, and when I came back, a lot of the regulars that I talked to aren't around as much, and there's a whole lot of *who's this?*. I'm socially awkward too - seems to be a common theme here! - and have a hard time learning all the new people - and wondering where the old ones went off to!
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#37 Post by DaFool »

musical74 wrote:Waves to Rioka!!!

Frankly I have the same problem as rioka too...I took some time off to deal with college issues, and when I came back, a lot of the regulars that I talked to aren't around as much, and there's a whole lot of *who's this?*. I'm socially awkward too - seems to be a common theme here! - and have a hard time learning all the new people - and wondering where the old ones went off to!
Actually there's been somewhat of a migration... you can find most of the old regulars on Teacup. It's a long story.

I've been sticking around because Jake was here but I'll probably go into inactivity as well... unlike others it's not that I'm frustrated with the community, but it's more a personal experiment to see if my project, a work with zero buzz and zero marketing can gain recognition (from reputable game sites) coming from an unknown with no facebook, twitter or official web presence. (Yes, I've started a blog and uploaded some videos on Youtube but that's just me cementing my copyright to the Google Bots so that once I go live, the links line up). There's no way I can go against the marketing muscle that is Shira-Oka or Katawa Shoujo. And my game not being a GxB game, I won't have the support of the strong GxB community (Another reason I believe that GxB will absolutely dominate the EVN scene for years to come). So I hope I'll be able to slip by with a sleeper hit like Digital: A Love Story (Gamasutra Best of 2010 Honorable Mention) or ButaVX: Justice Fighter (IGF China Excellence in Visual Arts award) and at least get the nod of the critics. Even if it falls into obscurity, I still have a life achievement which few people in the world manage to accomplish -- finishing a game.

It's more than 5 years since the first EVNs were released, so it's natural to have a generational shift; let the old fogies retire and the new fresh talent take over. By the looks of it, the new talent seems to be pretty skilled too, if only in the art department. They're still figuring out the ropes in terms of game-making (hence the drop in released games), but will learn through trial and error. One thing I learned is that people don't like what they feel as being patronized, as evidenced about the recent debates regarding criticism. The sad thing is that Lemma and Tom will probably be seeing a second cycle of the same kinds of questions I was asking 4 years ago.

I have earmarked the fifth anniversary of my membership in this forum as a deadline I gave myself to get out my best Ren'Py game yet. It will be the last game before I formally retire from the hobby. I really want to say a heartfelt "Thank you for the paintbrushes" and that's the best way I can do it.

If there's a most awesome rage-inducing debate here though, I'll probably be lured back like a moth to a burning flame.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#38 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

pkt
Veteran
Completed: I dunno
Projects: Something special

#39 Post by pkt »

Well I tend to drop em due to having by no stretch right now, several hundred if not thousands of projects. I get lot's of ideas everyday including in my sleep, but I lack the time and sometimes skill to pull these things off quickly. I'm still rounding out the VN's I have in my head though. Sakura, the character generator is still planning to be expanded in a lot of ways. White hit a roadblock with not knowing how to resolve the story. And so on...
No Active Public Renpy Projects...

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#40 Post by netravelr »

As a college student I tend to have long periods of time where my classes are my number one priority and as such it makes it difficult to spend much time at all on the internet aside from research, but around school breaks I like to jump back in and get a lot of stuff done so hopefully I'll be around. :-P
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

afu
Regular
Completed: \(^o^)/
Tumblr: afusushi

#41 Post by afu »

I just got back here on this forum after about 6 months ^^;; Well, I was internet-less for a while plus real life stuff, work etc etc ... but I think for some reason though as I grow older I loose the drive to update at a forum/da/site/lj etc etc every day... I think its just a personal thing where Ive become a lurker/stalker/hermit on the internet XDD
Hopefully I can be a little more active here though ^^;;
(*´﹃`*) Commissions Open! Art samples: afuji.org
Looking to work on otome games~ (indie or commercial)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran
Completed: Case of the missing bracelet, Case of the mysterious stalker
Projects: Horror/fantasy
Organization: Kaboyashi Square

#42 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

Absences? Yea lol For months sometimes. What can I say, I'm a floating weed.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#43 Post by rioka »

Hey Musical! :waves back:
DaFool wrote:
musical74 wrote:Waves to Rioka!!!

Actually there's been somewhat of a migration... you can find most of the old regulars on Teacup. It's a long story.
Teacup? Gotta link?

Wow, so much drama over the years. I've been in and out during that time so I guess I missed out on all that. Anyways, your last VN game DaFool? Sad to hear it but I guess if the heart isn't in it anymore - what can you do?

[EDIT]
Nvrmd. Found the link!