Do you ever have long absences?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Robert Kirkland
Regular

Do you ever have long absences?

#1 Post by Robert Kirkland »

What I mean is, do you randomly disappear from forums, games, or communities for no reason at all, without telling anyone? I do it constantly, and I always feel scared to return for some reason, which is why I have two hundred Internet accounts.

But yeah, have you?

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Do you ever have long absences?

#2 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Yeah, usually while I have been busy at uni, I tend to switch off. I usually visit, but don't post. I'm finished now, so I suppose it will happen when I get too much work? I have never felt afraid to jump back in though, especially if it is a place I feel I have a good spot. It takes work to wedge yourself into a place like deviantart, I couldn't just give it up.

Melkoshi
Regular
Projects: Jewels of Sytinane

#3 Post by Melkoshi »

For me: It's called "world of warcraft".

So there went my hope of a winter demo for my game, considering both myself and my writer play.
--- My DeviantArt.
Game in Progress for demo-teaser:
story(script) = 45%
sprites = 100%
programming(interface) = 35%
CGs = 0%
Backgrounds = 5%
Music/sound = 0%

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#4 Post by Deji »

I'm a socially awkward person, so whenever I leave a place because of lack-of-time or because I got caught on something else, I just end up lurking and never posting again most of the time ^^;
I feel guilty and scared people would give me virtual weird looks (you don't see them, but you know they're rolling their eyes and saying "Oh, now she comes back... hmmm...."!!) if I come back after a while without anything interesting >>; Also it feels awkward because you're out of the loop and you have to catch up with the rest of the people >>;
I wouldn't get a new account just to return to a place to avoid the awkwardness, though.
Auro-Cyanide wrote: It takes work to wedge yourself into a place like deviantart, I couldn't just give it up.
I left deviantART for almost a year, even shut down the gallery, and then returned to the very same account, lol. Not much changed C: (again, I'm not very sociable, so... yeah.)

Melkoshi wrote:For me: It's called "world of warcraft".
So there went my hope of a winter demo for my game, considering both myself and my writer play.
Cataaaaaaaaaaaaaa~~ <3

*whycan'titbedecember7thalreadyIwanttoplayaworgenandlearnarchaeology!!!111oneeleventy11*
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Elemental-Butterfly
Veteran

#5 Post by Elemental-Butterfly »

Robert Kirkland wrote:What I mean is, do you randomly disappear from forums, games, or communities for no reason at all, without telling anyone? I do it constantly, and I always feel scared to return for some reason, which is why I have two hundred Internet accounts.

But yeah, have you?
why do you feel scared?Image

Robert Kirkland
Regular

#6 Post by Robert Kirkland »

Elemental-Butterfly wrote:why do you feel scared?Image
Deji wrote:I feel guilty and scared people would give me virtual weird looks (you don't see them, but you know they're rolling their eyes and saying "Oh, now she comes back... hmmm...."!!) if I come back after a while without anything interesting >>; Also it feels awkward because you're out of the loop and you have to catch up with the rest of the people >>;
Basically, this.

Elemental-Butterfly
Veteran

#7 Post by Elemental-Butterfly »

Robert Kirkland wrote:
Elemental-Butterfly wrote:why do you feel scared?Image
Deji wrote:I feel guilty and scared people would give me virtual weird looks (you don't see them, but you know they're rolling their eyes and saying "Oh, now she comes back... hmmm...."!!) if I come back after a while without anything interesting >>; Also it feels awkward because you're out of the loop and you have to catch up with the rest of the people >>;
Basically, this.
oh yeah, then me too Image

mysterialize
Veteran
Projects: The World is Made of Paper

#8 Post by mysterialize »

I'm really bad about this, to be honest, for similar reasons as Deji. I'm really, really bad with social situations in real life, and it comes to bite me in situations like this, even online. Though, except on DA, I rarely switch accounts because of it.

The worst case was when I repeatedly disappeared from a Role Playing forum I was running. I would keep coming back every few weeks, tell everyone that I would return and get things running again, then, out of shame, would never wind up doing so, over and over again. I still feel extremely guilty for it. I just felt like such a failure as a GM.

I even left here for a while when it happened, since I recruited most people from this forum. @_@

Robert Kirkland
Regular

#9 Post by Robert Kirkland »

mysterialize wrote:The worst case was when I repeatedly disappeared from a Role Playing forum I was running. I would keep coming back every few weeks, tell everyone that I would return and get things running again, then, out of shame, would never wind up doing so, over and over again. I still feel extremely guilty for it. I just felt like such a failure as a GM.
I really hate starting projects and then disappearing. I would also not return out of shame (like you). I've done it so much it's become a habit I need to break.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#10 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Deji wrote:I'm a socially awkward person, so whenever I leave a place because of lack-of-time or because I got caught on something else, I just end up lurking and never posting again most of the time ^^;
I am also socially awkward in real life (lol, anyone see a pattern?), but I tend to be much more free on the internet. Like, I would never talk to strangers in real life. There are a lot of things I do on the internet that I would avoid doing in real life unless I knew the person. I guess I am friendlier (most of the time >>) on the internet.

I find that if you disappear and come back, people usually respond pretty well. Real life is pretty important after all and if you have to go, you have to go. However I can definitely understand feeling bad if you had some sort of responsibility. I would run away from that too D:

Elemental-Butterfly
Veteran

#11 Post by Elemental-Butterfly »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:
Deji wrote:I'm a socially awkward person, so whenever I leave a place because of lack-of-time or because I got caught on something else, I just end up lurking and never posting again most of the time ^^;
I am also socially awkward in real life (lol, anyone see a pattern?), but I tend to be much more free on the internet. Like, I would never talk to strangers in real life. There are a lot of things I do on the internet that I would avoid doing in real life unless I knew the person. I guess I am friendlier (most of the time >>) on the internet.

I find that if you disappear and come back, people usually respond pretty well. Real life is pretty important after all and if you have to go, you have to go. However I can definitely understand feeling bad if you had some sort of responsibility. I would run away from that too D:
lol yeah, me too. :wink:

gundestiny
Regular

#12 Post by gundestiny »

Umm I'm gonna' be a little bit of the odd one out and say I'm not entirely socially awkward.
Just real life things tend to roll around a lot and I find my time consumed by that. It's annoying, but real life stuff demands more attention than online -_-"

I hate leaving a forum I'm so in tune with but I pick up another hobby and forget about it :/ Thus I become a lurker, and find it hard to blend back in because there's so many new people and it has completely evolved since I last used it ><
It's much easier to go back to when you have some real close friends, but other than that, yeah, I definately have long absences.
Some of which I never return to even as a lurker
DeviantArt
TUMBLR
Art is a passion and hobby, nothing more for me \o/

Elemental-Butterfly
Veteran

#13 Post by Elemental-Butterfly »

gundestiny wrote:Umm I'm gonna' be a little bit of the odd one out and say I'm not entirely socially awkward.
Just real life things tend to roll around a lot and I find my time consumed by that. It's annoying, but real life stuff demands more attention than online -_-"

I hate leaving a forum I'm so in tune with but I pick up another hobby and forget about it :/ Thus I become a lurker, and find it hard to blend back in because there's so many new people and it has completely evolved since I last used it ><
It's much easier to go back to when you have some real close friends, but other than that, yeah, I definately have long absences.
Some of which I never return to even as a lurker
its even worse to leave roleplay forums.

Robert Kirkland
Regular

#14 Post by Robert Kirkland »

Elemental-Butterfly wrote:its even worse to leave roleplay forums.
Yeah, unless you're leaving for story purposes (character dies/character disappears... though I am not exactly sure how RP forums work so it might be different.. you could lurk or create other characters)

NeumanProductions
Regular
Completed: Penpals
Projects: Raven Falls; Zero no Tsukaima: A Familiar's Dilemma (Lost in Production))
Organization: Justice Brothers

#15 Post by NeumanProductions »

Where do you think i've disappeared to? I haven't been on here since the release of my VN many moons ago.
But now i'm back and your not getting rid of me. The guys with Katawa Shoujo already know what I mean by that statement.
Last edited by NeumanProductions on Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes...when there's no one around...I only step on the darker ones..." ~Hanako (Katawa Shoujo by 4Leaf Studios)
You know, I sometimes still do that. :)
This Act 1 portion is what hooked me on VNs, so I like to promote them.
Anything I write I post here Deviant Art