Do you like GxB or BxG?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran
Completed: Case of the missing bracelet, Case of the mysterious stalker
Projects: Horror/fantasy
Organization: Kaboyashi Square

Re: Do you like GxB or BxG?

#31 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

If the story is worth it I'd play either. A good story can go a long way.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#32 Post by Aleema »

chensterrain wrote:I don't think I've ever actually heard this definition of otome games before (or even much separation between otome and GxB, to be honest - that seems to occur mostly on this forum and nowhere else, as far as I can tell): I know the Japanese Wikipedia page (hurr wikipedia, it's the most authoritative source I've been able to find, unfortunately) pretty much just says that an otome game is 'within the spectrum of games aimed at girls, a game where the main character is female' and then 'a game where the player is a 'maiden', or where the main character is a teenage 'maiden''.
Keep reading the wikipedia article: "An otome game is a video game that is targeted towards a female market, where one of the main goals, besides the plot goal, is to develop a romantic relationship between the female player character and one of several male characters." That's a dating sim. Sorry. There is a difference between incidental romance and a dating sim. Otome is GxB, but GxB is not otome. I stand by this and will argue it extensively. And even if otome used to mean "maiden" and "for women" in Japanese, that doesn't mean that in English, in a genre medium we are trying to be independent from Japan, we shouldn't have our own vocabulary. Because OELVNs frankly didn't exist much out of Lemmasoft either. As this thread proves, what women like isn't specifically GxB. So saying otome is generally just games for women, so that includes every female protagonist's story that might have romance, that's wrong.
Liminality wrote:I think all of your responses are pretty much answered in the above as well... except this. There are different kinds of otaku. The main character of that one is a gaming otaku. I'll also play it if it doesn't have an otaku, but having a character with a hobby (giving her an attachment to something) usually ends up being more fun than playing a blank slate that bounces around going "Ooh look there are guys around me now I get to date one of them!" The hobby gives them an alternate goal and focus.
This also applies to the word "otaku". In our language, and in Japanese, they mean significantly different things. But in both languages, they pretty much mean the person obesses over anime. Specifically, anime. Not online games, not just anything. Anime. And/or manga. If you're looking for an appropriate English word, it's "nerd" or "geek."

I'll fold and say that she did indeed play an online game, but I hardly think that makes her a gaming otaku. She played one game, and those are more and more acceptable (just look at WoW or Farmville).

This basically just goes back to you not liking dating sims in general. Plotless, characterless date machines.
Mirage wrote:This is coming from someone who got their VN tagged as BxG, just for sporting a guy main character, where there isn't even romance in the entire story. Which in my opinion makes even less sense than GxB = Otome tag.
I agree and I don't think that should happen, either. The gender of the protagonist should not be the end-all, be-all of what a game represents. It's just a character decision, my god.
Last edited by Aleema on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#33 Post by papillon »

Keep reading the wikipedia article: "An otome game is a video game that is targeted towards a female market, where one of the main goals, besides the plot goal, is to develop a romantic relationship between the female player character and one of several male characters." That's a dating sim. Sorry.
... Not unless it has sim gameplay elements! :)

(Welcome back to the War Of Terminology)

chensterrain
Veteran
Completed: Lucky Rabbit Reflex!, Dusk ~A Moonlight Romance~
Projects: Edge of Elsewhere
Organization: Super63
Tumblr: supersixthree
Deviantart: chensterrain

#34 Post by chensterrain »

Like papillon said, I think we're going on different definitions of 'dating sim' here - as far as I'm aware, a dating sim is a game with simulation elements (usually stat-raising etc) that just happens to be centred around romance, not 'any game with a female MC where the aim is to romance guys' - in that case, practically every visual novel with a female protagonist I've ever heard of is also a dating sim, since most of the more story-oriented games (Ever 17, True Remembrance, that sort of thing I guess?) seem to have male MCs. But that could just be my lack of knowledge on the subject, so hey. :)

...Either way, I think we're probably getting slightly off topic. Though I don't mind playing BxG, I pretty much only bother because there are so few GxB games available, hurr. :B

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#35 Post by Aleema »

I'm grumpy. I guess it's true that you should have stat raising to be called a "date sim", but isn't a game where the main point is you get to choose who to date a date simulator ..? I use "date" loosely to mean "chase after". If the aim of a game is to simulate love, and is not just a story with love in it, I consider it different.
chensterrain wrote:in that case, practically every visual novel with a female protagonist I've ever heard of is also a dating sim, since most of the more story-oriented games (Ever 17, True Remembrance, that sort of thing I guess?) seem to have male MCs.
That's pretty sad. =\ I hope you're more exposed to more story-oriented, non-romance-focused female protagonist games in the future. For instance, I don't consider Rynspyr to be otome. Though it's been said tons of times, but there's better BxG games because there's more of them.

Annnd that's the last I'll say on that.

Nyu
Regular

#36 Post by Nyu »

It's the same for me @_@ I can play them both but I'm not into BxB or GxG stuffs...

Machus
Regular
Completed: Haircuts, 99 Luftballons

#37 Post by Machus »

I prefer BxG, due to natural inclination.

GxB just seems kinda unnatural to me. I will play a good GxB game, though. (Like Re: Alistair++)
Last edited by Machus on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm available as a proofreader, just PM me. Thanks!

~Mau

J. Datie
Veteran

#38 Post by J. Datie »

Well, if there's a good story and interesting characters, either. Otherwise, neither. Far too much B, not nearly enough G.

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#39 Post by kara24601 »

I'll play just about anything....I've even - (sometimes / rarely ) - played games I knew were going to just make me angry or were/are very sexist , ect. just because I was stupidly curious about it or really bored and wanted to laugh at how bad something is...

I wish there were more "girl chases after boy/boys" .... It just depends on the writing, art, and level of interactivity...

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#40 Post by KomiTsuku »

I love... lamp. I love lamp. *needs to go watch Anchorman again*

Being a little more serious, I like things that are shiny and interesting. GxB, BxG, doesn't really matter to me. I just really don't like the stereotypical slice-of-life school plots that seem to consist of 90% of the OELVN GxB. Maybe after it develops further I won't be so hostile towards it, but right now a lot of the titles comes across to me as rather generic, which naturally decreases the draw of it to me.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#41 Post by Fawn »

KomiTsuku wrote:I just really don't like the stereotypical slice-of-life school plots that seem to consist of 90% of the OELVN GxB. Maybe after it develops further I won't be so hostile towards it, but right now a lot of the titles comes across to me as rather generic, which naturally decreases the draw of it to me.
Agreed. Ladies (and, gentlemen too), we all know there's a lot more interesting things in life to write about than the cute boys at school ;) Though, many have been able to pull off good stories without the generic school life trope. Also, the games need more delicious shirtless men. And maybe some facial/chest hair... (booed for liking hairy guys)

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#42 Post by KomiTsuku »

Fawn wrote:Also, the games need more delicious shirtless men. And maybe some facial/chest hair... (booed for liking hairy guys)
I'll concede the first point if we can get more kemonomimi. I will settle for more shirtless catmen. And women. And everyone knows we could always use more mustaches in this world! *twirls his*

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#43 Post by azureXtwilight »

I play them both as long as their stories are intriguing, don't wanna play stories that only involves school life and dating with no conflic at all... Because... it's boring! XD But any games that doesn't involve MC needing to pair with some girl/guy (GXB, GXG, BXG, BXB) like umineko is fine too, the story has captured me and I wanna know more.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#44 Post by HigurashiKira »

azureXtwilight wrote:I play them both as long as their stories are intriguing, don't wanna play stories that only involves school life and dating with no conflic at all... Because... it's boring! XD But any games that doesn't involve MC needing to pair with some girl/guy (GXB, GXG, BXG, BXB) like umineko is fine too, the story has captured me and I wanna know more.
<interjecting>Have you read Episode 6 and beyond? Battler is
forced to marry one girl (Erika) and then chooses to marry someone else(Beatrice) and there's even a while "Trial of Love" thing in Ep6. Episode 7 has Will/Lion (Pairing depends on wheather or not you believe Lion has a penis or not)
Although it can be forgiven slightly considering Ryukishi's lover best friend BT died.</intergecting>

I'll generally play wither or, just so long as they don't have "kawaii chibi" girls (Loli-like or just too childish) or Feminine (Flat-chested-girl-dressed-as-a-guy) boys.
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#45 Post by azureXtwilight »

HigurashiKira wrote:
azureXtwilight wrote:I play them both as long as their stories are intriguing, don't wanna play stories that only involves school life and dating with no conflic at all... Because... it's boring! XD But any games that doesn't involve MC needing to pair with some girl/guy (GXB, GXG, BXG, BXB) like umineko is fine too, the story has captured me and I wanna know more.
<interjecting>Have you read Episode 6 and beyond? Battler is
forced to marry one girl (Erika) and then chooses to marry someone else(Beatrice) and there's even a while "Trial of Love" thing in Ep6. Episode 7 has Will/Lion (Pairing depends on wheather or not you believe Lion has a penis or not)
Although it can be forgiven slightly considering Ryukishi's lover best friend BT died.</intergecting>

I'll generally play wither or, just so long as they don't have "kawaii chibi" girls (Loli-like or just too childish) or Feminine (Flat-chested-girl-dressed-as-a-guy) boys.
I finished ep 8, thanks :D But
romance isn't the main point for the story, even though it's important and we don't have to focus on who gets who because it's already settled :3