Do you like GxB or BxG?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: Do you like GxB or BxG?

#46 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

azureXtwilight wrote:I play them both as long as their stories are intriguing, don't wanna play stories that only involves school life and dating with no conflic at all... Because... it's boring! XD But any games that doesn't involve MC needing to pair with some girl/guy (GXB, GXG, BXG, BXB)
As a slice of life/school life addict in manga and VNs, this feels like a sword through the heart. :cry:

More serious part:
I'm not sure how to determine what you mean by "conflic[t]." If you mean conflict in a narrative sense, I pretty much feel the same, but if you mean that you don't like school life VNs without some sort of big twist (like magic or something, IDK) then we we don't feel the same way.
I would extend the statement (assuming you meant the former) for myself as "I don't want to read stories that have no conflict."
My definition of conflict (just to be clear) includes internal and social conflict. It doesn't have to go as far as actual fighting or anything. I'm actually enjoy conflict that may not seem as serious.

No longer related to the quote:
I like BxG because I'm a guy and feel a bit odd pursuing other guys.
I like comedy in VNs, but I love to cry too (not from boredom though, :lol: ).
I like the art, but that's useless to me if it's poorly written. I'll admit that I have a bit of trouble reading well written but poorly drawn VNs (I feel like an idiot for saying that :| ).
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Skye
Projects: -to be revealed at a later date-
Organization: Skye Studios

#47 Post by Skye »

GxB, I just find the girl's perspective something I can relate to as I'm a girl, though being the opposite sex is nice every once and a while.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#48 Post by azureXtwilight »

redeyesblackpanda wrote:
azureXtwilight wrote:I play them both as long as their stories are intriguing, don't wanna play stories that only involves school life and dating with no conflic at all... Because... it's boring! XD But any games that doesn't involve MC needing to pair with some girl/guy (GXB, GXG, BXG, BXB)
As a slice of life/school life addict in manga and VNs, this feels like a sword through the heart. :cry:

More serious part:
I'm not sure how to determine what you mean by "conflic[t]." If you mean conflict in a narrative sense, I pretty much feel the same, but if you mean that you don't like school life VNs without some sort of big twist (like magic or something, IDK) then we we don't feel the same way.
I would extend the statement (assuming you meant the former) for myself as "I don't want to read stories that have no conflict."
My definition of conflict (just to be clear) includes internal and social conflict. It doesn't have to go as far as actual fighting or anything. I'm actually enjoy conflict that may not seem as serious.
Ahaha, people have their own preferences XD But mostly the school life VNs I played will only have the "DOES HE LIKE ME? WON'T HE LIKE LIKE ME!?" and I got bored. Note that I only said "school life and dating", so they don't really focus on others besides that.

I do enjoy Katawa Shoujo though, even though it's school life it has an unique and new twist. It go deeper than "getting the girl" and focus on life's problems beyond dating. Yes, I love romance. But to make it the whole focus ALL the time like there's no other things, oh man, no.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#49 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Hm... I'm one to agree with the idea that more stuff is more interesting(generally... quality is important for obvious reasons). If a VN were to focus on one thing and really have nothing else, I can see myself getting bored.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#50 Post by Gear »

I think I prefer BxB, but that's my personal preference...so neither? If I had to, I guess I'd play GxB, but I typically don't relate too well to most female protagonists.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

AlexisPius
Projects: "On Media"

#51 Post by AlexisPius »

Elemental-Butterfly wrote:Do you like GxB or BxG?
No.

Thelo
Regular

#52 Post by Thelo »

I've actually been pleasantly surprised at how much I've enjoyed the GxB games I've played recently. It turns out that the fundamentals of GxB and BxG relationships are very similar, and I've definitely felt all warm and fuzzy from both.

To be honest, I initially expected GxB games to feel somewhat weird and unnatural... but while actually playing RE: Alistair, or Lucky Rabbit Reflex, or Winter in Fairbrook, etc., I just naturally came to identify with the girl MC and genuinely cared about the guys, and it all felt effortless.

It's pretty damn cliché to say that no matter our gender, we're all human beings and should be able to empathize with anyone... but at least for me, it really feels unmistakably true. I've immensely enjoyed both types of games and am eager for more of each.

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#53 Post by kaleidofish »

Thelo wrote:It's pretty damn cliché to say that no matter our gender, we're all human beings and should be able to empathize with anyone... but at least for me, it really feels unmistakably true. I've immensely enjoyed both types of games and am eager for more of each.
I agree with you on that. I'm more interested in games for their stories. It's not just about pursuing the hottest characters, so it's less about GxB versus BxG for me, and more about "does this look fun to read/play or not." I'm a girl, but I've played more BxG and BxB games, just because of a lack of exposure to GxB and GxG games. That'll change as I check out more games on this forum.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

tuna_sushi
Veteran
Projects: BloomingBlossoms

#54 Post by tuna_sushi »

Even though I'm a girl, I like B x G better.
I dunno why, but they feel more emotional :/ (to me)
Maybe because they cry a more than the guys? (sometimes)
Crying scenes sometimes make me cry :lol:

Katagi

#55 Post by Katagi »

I tend to enkoy BxG games more than GxB. The reason being is that the relationships in GxB games feel a bit forced compared to other games (rapelay notwithstanding).

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#56 Post by gekiganwing »

Overall, I'm a member of Team Switzerland when it comes to pairings in fiction/games. I try to focus on the writing and gameplay. If there are no official pairings, or if the story is focused more on plot than on relationships, then I'm okay with that.

Having said that, I lean towards BxG. I like the fantasy of having a relationship with a cute girl. Of course, the more indulgent the fantasy is (love triangles, harems, characters who could never exist in the real world...), the more it becomes a guilty pleasure. It's difficult to justify liking a game if the romance options include stepsisters, celebrities, elves, clones...

I sometimes enjoy GxB and GxG. The way I figure it, the pairings are someone else's fantasy, so I can focus on plot and gameplay elements. Every now and then, I'll find a character in a GxB or GxG story who's really sympathetic. For instance, I wanted my main character in TMGS1 to pair up with Hibiya, and Morimura if it did not mean earning the ire of Arisawa. In TMGS2, I just wanted best friend endings with three of the girls.

MiSi
Veteran
Completed: Santa
Projects: On Grey Wings, The Master's Call, Shadowborn ...while having many more in mind ;)

#57 Post by MiSi »

I so damn prefer BxB!
Why? Because I'm a girl and I want to read about guys! Other females in stories mostly annoy me (especially those hyper-sweet and clumsy ones :roll: :x ) , but if the MC of a GxB game is a bit tomboyish with a sexy touch and without this stupid "I'm better than all guys"-attitude... well, then I also like to play GxB once in a while. Regarding BxG: I tried some games. Some were really good, some were so obviously created for a male-only audience, that it made me shudder. But actually I don't like chasing after other females, when I play anything dating-sim related.
In general, I think, I play games because of their story. If there's any dating-sim or battle system involved, after some hours of gameplay I often end up like this: "Okay, let's get through this quickly. I want to know, how the story ends. :P :lol: "

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#58 Post by Blane Doyle »

I like both, as well as GxG and BxB. As long as whatever I play or read is entertaining or well written I really don't mind.

Generally I prefer GxB, as outside of the OELVN market there is little and I love what I have already found. But the genders of the characters don't matter as much to me as they might some others. (How the gender ties in with the character and how they act is different, but that is off topic)

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#59 Post by teacup »

I prefer BxG, but that's probably just because I've been exposed to it more. Back when I started playing VNs, I didn't even know GxB games existed, so it always seemed more natural for the protagonist to be male. ^7^;
And I dunno, there is just something... bothersome about most of the oto-ges I've played. I'll agree with Katagi and say that they can sometimes seem more forced than BxG games.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#60 Post by azureXtwilight »

Gotta agree with that, so in fact I can simply assume that I like both BxG or GxB that doesn't too aimed towards the other (a.k.a too much fanservice like biceps, or panty shots or boobs) and a bit of having a shallow romance. Also filled with one question "Does he/she like me or not?"