How to get Started in Video Game Writing

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
otomegirl24
Regular
Projects: Kiss & Tell [WIP]

How to get Started in Video Game Writing

#1 Post by otomegirl24 »

Okay, so I recently registered for an account on this site because I've been thinking about one day pursing a career in becoming a writer for a video game and I thought this would be a good way to get started and involved. I've been writing fanfiction for a few years now, but I've done some thinking about doing some original writing and I've got a couple ideas here and there, but I feel like I still need to do some research on what I'm gonna need to do if I plan to pursue something like this.

Like next semester, take a class on how to start a business, some creative writing classes, maybe some programming on the side, etc.

So yeah, any helpful tips I should know about or stuff to keep in mind?

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Working on ミツマタ [Mitsumata (c)].

Re: How to get Started in Video Game Writing

#2 Post by kinougames »

Write all the time. Anything. Everything. There are certain things you can only learn by writing a hell of a lot.

If you want to get into video game writing in particular, do other writing exercises that involve writing an outline for a completely coherent plot, creating a detailed world, creating detailed and extensive characters with distinct personalities.

For your practices, don't be afraid to drop it and start something new if you dislike it. You'll learn to find something you want to stick with. Don't force your process or you'll get burned out extremely fast.
Check out the new interactive media project, Mitsumata(c). Follow 8 colorful characters in a story full of drama, horror, all sexualities and exciting gameplay~!

Development blog's up! Visit!

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#3 Post by rioka »

It's not about writing video game scripts but it may help you out on how to organize your story: How to Write Out a Manga in 3 Easy Steps.

Anyways, I think you're over thinking the whole research thing. I suggest you just stick to writing and improve that before you sink time into learning how to program, starting a business, and anything else. As a writer, you can always team up with someone else who can do the programming, art, music and so on plus you, for now, just really need to know about contracts if you're going to work on commercial projects. You do not need to start a business, learn how to balance books and so on. Learn about copyrights and marketing too while you're at it.

But right now, what you should concern yourself with are:
Get your name out there. Show us what you've got! Can you write a decent story? Do you have any experience? Who do you know that will get you to where you want to be? Write! Get opinions. Do NaNoWriMo. Write a blog. Go get team members here in the board to work on a game. Join NaNoRenO next month. Do Roleplays if you like them. Join a writers club. Do lit contests. Write short stories. If you aren't writing right now, try doing research on how to write better!

Work hard, keep at it, and I'm sure you'll be fine. Oh. And don't get sidetracked with other stuff. C:

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#4 Post by Greeny »

Read good books.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Elenakiara
Veteran
Projects: (WIP) Caesar's Fate

#5 Post by Elenakiara »

Everyone has already put up what I wanted to say, so I can only say this:

As you listen to their tips and write as much as you can, never give up. Truely, you don't need to know how to start your own business just to start making games, and this is coming from someone who's studying in business! xD Remember to also evaluate the trends that seem to be apparent at times, because when you see a need, you should try and fill it. But, you do also need to be interested in writing, since otherwise, you'd lose interest in writing!

So yeah, as everyone said, read, write and share your stories with the community here to improve! :3 Good luck by the way!
Working on a visual novel : Caesar's Fate (GxB) : Follow me on Twitter or visit my Website for updates!

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by lepapillonrouge »

Greeny wrote:Read good books.
This.

Apply what you like to your own writing as well.

Actually, just find whatever you like, and apply the good parts of it into your own writing. No plagiarism of course, but the style, the diction...all that, and it helps a lot.
deviantART
---------------------

James
Regular
Projects: The Alumnus

#7 Post by James »

Before you read on, let me say first that I've just started writing video game script not long ago, so I'm an amateur in game writing. However research is my forte, so I can give people pointers in a lot of things.

Video game writing is different then story writing in many ways. For starters I'd recommend that you start thinking game writing like a movie script or play script. The main difference between the two is that you need to describe the setting, which character sprite are on screen, when the screen fade out and fade in (black screen), and indicate when there is a a choice factor in.

Example:

Fade in, High school scene

Protagonist normal expression.

"The bell rings the protagonist steps out of class only to be confronted by Girl A and Girl B."

Girl A "You must think we're really stupid."

Girl A "We know you dated both of us on the same day."

Protagonist shock expression

Girl B "Yeah, you jerk! So tell me, which one of us do you like better."

Girl A "You better think twice before answering."

Girl B "Yes, it's me or her!"

Girl A "CHOOSE!"

Option choice: side with Girl A, side with Girl B

~Keep in mind that most visual novels are dialog driven that means more dialogs talks, less narration then usual story writing.

~Keep the dialogs short, because people will get tired of reading when sentence are too long. They might end up clicking through it.

~When writing dialogs keep the format similar to the python coding so you can copy and paste easier.

Here's a link to from Sakagushi, one of the writers who did the story script for Final Fantasy 9. The best way to learn is see the original work for yourself and pick up things that works for you.

Mistwalker website

Good luck to you. I appreciate it if you can share anything you've learn on the way as I'm new to this also.
Last edited by James on Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
W.I.P. Script demo available

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#8 Post by LVUER »

Be careful, if you choose girl A, girl B will kill you (and girl A) with giant saw. But if you choose girl B, girl A will commit suicide right in front of your eyes and girl B ^_^ jk
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by DaFool »

Release lots and lots of freeware featuring your original writing. Then once you've built a fanbase, you can launch a Kickstarter and get funded for $30K+ like Mr. Plotkin in the IF scene.

A more down-to-earth example in these forums (but somewhat just as successful in my opinion given our limited userbase) are people like Taleweaver and Sake-bento. I won't be surprised if they're fully booked with commercial work. But I knew their works back when there were very few good artists hanging around, so they made do with what they had and boy did their works shine. Which brings me to the next point:

Write for a budget. Don't make the mistake of requiring fully-animated cutscenes and 200+ CGs. This is a forum for visual novels, which is supposed to be the cheapest form of game (or not-game) to be made by budget-conscious Japanese entertainment "companies" (or more likely, doujin circles). This is the low-lying fruit where everybody starts. Once you've got it made, you can probably move to console games -- but very few actually survive that long:

http://zepy.momotato.com/2010/10/08/sur ... years-ago/

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#10 Post by rioka »

James wrote:~Keep in mind that most visual novels are dialog driven that means more dialogs talks, less narration then usual story writing.

~Keep the dialogs short, because people will get tired of reading when sentence are too long. They might end up clicking through it.
This. Very important for video games. Can't agree with it more or stress this any more. Masses of text usually loses a players interest so if you're doing a narration, it's best to break up the wall of text.