Recommend a Webcomic?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
IonicMomo
Regular
Completed: Mail Order Bride
Projects: Untitled GxB game

Recommend a Webcomic?

#1 Post by IonicMomo »

As much as I love print comics and graphic novels, I've lately found myself reading more webcomics than usual. I think there are several reasons for this: webcomics are usually free, updated more frequently, have an appealing DIY feel, etc. Does anyone else here read/like webcomics? Care to recommend one? (Feel free to plug your own, if you have one.)

Some of the comics I read or have finished reading:

Lackadaisy - A comic featuring anthropomorphic cats set during the Prohibition era. This comic has beautiful art and well-developed characters, and the author is incredibly well-researched on the era.

Gunnerkrigg Court - A complex science-fiction boarding school story that pits science against magic. It's much better than it sounds, a bit of a mindscrew at times, but really amazing once you get past the first couple chapters.

Hark, a Vagrant! - A hilarious short-form comic that pokes fun at (mostly Western) history and culture. I know the art is not up to the standards of most people on the LS forums, but I love this comic to death.

Scandinavia and the World - A very funny comic about personifications of Scandinavian countries and others that plays on national stereotypes. It is both adorable and disturbing at times.

Rice Boy - An surreal fantasy adventure comic (can't reveal much more). It was cute, and I enjoyed it a lot.

PhD Comics - A humorous comic about the perils of graduate student life.

The Phoenix Requiem - A beautifully drawn Victorian supernatural romance.

Girl Genius - The author describes it as a "gaslamp romance," steampunk; I'm not a huge fan of the art style, but I love the story enough that I bear it. :)

There are several others that I read on occasion to keep myself updated, but don't follow religiously. I'm looking for a new comic to read. Does anyone else have any they would recommend? Or maybe you are working on one yourself?
Last edited by IonicMomo on Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Project: Untitled GxB Game, Untitled NaNoRenO 2011
Completed Projects: Mail Order Bride

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

Re: Recommend a Webcomic?

#2 Post by Alera »

I love Webcomics!! :'D

And you know that site Smackjeeves? It's full of them~

White Noise - one of my favs! So light and cute! And I usually don't like things like that. XD
Hotarugari - Another nice one. I really like the characters and the action!
Happy Hospital -;o; Whyyy- the artist stopped drawing this??? I loved everything in it!
SIN - that one is so good! It's really pro. And it's published in MangaMagazine.net
Secret Soul-another lovely one. And I'm amazed by the traditional skills of that girl. Actually- by all her skills. XD

and...
Essence of Time - my forever and ever fav!!!

These are just a few of my favs. but I don't have much anyway. Most of the good things out there are...Boy-love. OTL Something I dislike. -nyah- :/
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

Lotus
Veteran
Projects: Unnamed Slenderman VN, Secret 10560

#3 Post by Lotus »

Let's see, I follow My Cardboard life, Sister Claire, Sfeer Theory, Nedroid Picture Diary, and Hemlock right now.

My Cardboard life is a collage comic about the life of a cardboard boy named Collin. It's incredibly cute and creative, I especially love Cardboard Carl.

Sister Claire is a comic that revolves on a young nun who is pregnant with the saviour. I love the art style <3

Sfeer Theory I don't know how to describe this one, but it's awesome so far. 8D

Nedroid Picture Diary revolves mostly around the wacky tales of Reginald the bird and Beartato the... uh, beartato. It's cute, funny, I love it.

Hemlock is about a witch and her new familiar. The art style is absolutely gorgeous.

Gonna check out some of the comics you mentioned now 8D I already knew about Hark! a vagrant and SATW, but the others I haven't seen yet.
Last edited by Lotus on Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qq
Regular
Projects: Strings of Fate- BG artist

#4 Post by qq »

I like to read boys love webcomics. Don't know what you think of them though. Some of these webcomcs contains boys love element.
Hanna is Not a Boy's Name it's currently on hiatus, but it's really good and has beautiful art. About a paranormal investigator who is not good at his job.
Knights-errant "Details the lengths to which Wilfrid, a once exalted member of society, will go to reclaim favor with the courts. Inevitably involves Oswald, condottiere of the "Errant Knights" and other poor souls."
Romantically Apocalyptic
Goodbye Chains "Colin Lord is a cheerful Boston Communist, and Banquo White is a cranky half-Mexican with no philosophy beyond hedonism. Somehow they have become partners in crime, spreading a reign of terror and dialectical materialism across the plains of Colorado. Follow their adventures with explosives and ladies--and, possibly, men."
Honeydew Syndrome is currently finished. It's funny high school romance hijinks with a no-so-emo emo and no-so-jock jock. (BL)
Frog and Kisses Studio
Please visit my Art Blog

IonicMomo
Regular

#5 Post by IonicMomo »

Thanks for sharing, guys! I've read all of Sfeer Theory so far, which is very good (dense!)...although from what I gather it contains some BL elements (but I don't mind!), and I've heard Knights-Errant is good from several sources, so I'll have to pick that one up at some point.

I've never heard of most these--it seems like I tend to read a lot of "famous" webcomics and miss out on the more obscure ones--so I'll look into them! Personally, I'm not a fan of the anime art style in webcomics, but I'm willing to overlook that in the case of a good story. :)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#6 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Oooo, I love comics, I will have to come back and check some of the ones listed. I don't really know that many that haven't been mentioned, and you probably already know about 'The Meek' and 'Fey Winds'. I would however recommend checking out some Korean Web comics. They have a long single panel format which is very interesting and almost provides a cinematic appeal. They also tend to be rather experimental in their art. You can find most of them here http://www.webtoonlive.com/ My favourites are 'Ties of Compassion' which is very funny slice of life story and 'Annarasumanara' which is pretty weird but interesting at the same time.

Edit: Oh, and this http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/71 Funniest. Comic. Evar.

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#7 Post by luminarious »

I like serious stories with good art. Often with big words. Also, Bleach.. :oops:

Dresden Codak
Gunnerkrigg Court
FreakAngels
Guilded Age
Subnormality
The Adventures of Dr. McNinja

cloudyssky
Veteran
Completed: Alone
Projects: Many failed ones

#8 Post by cloudyssky »

Gah, you already got Hack A vagant!
One of my favorites that I've been reading for 3+ years has been Megatokyo
Projects:
Alone- (Horror/Sci-Fi) Complete! Link
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.
{Last worked on Sept/28 : Word count (coding and all) ~4500}

IonicMomo
Regular

#9 Post by IonicMomo »

Yes, another Gunnerkrigg Court fan! And Hark! A Vagrant, yay! (Did you read the latest one with Chopin and Liszt? I loved it!) I read the first few pages of FreakAngels a while ago, didn't really get into it immediately, but I might have to give it a second chance. And of course Dr. McNinja. I've never read it, but everyone in the comics fandom keeps talking about it!

I've heard of Dresden Codak, my brother recommended it to me. It seems very...dense and philosophical. It'll probably take me a while to get caught up with that one. I've also heard of Fey Winds, and have been meaning to get around to it for a while. :D

Hm...I'd never even considered Korean comics before. I suppose I'll have to look into those as well.

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#10 Post by ludeshka »

Well...I worked on a webcomic, once upon a time. XD
It's still online if you want to check it out XD

http://www.drunkduck.com/Missing_days_of_february/ (Um. I'm told it's depressing. XD)

Ahhh.
To feel less embarrassed about plugging my own stuff, I'm going to link you to some really pretty webcomics on my watchlist. Yess!

http://www.drunkduck.com/Ruby/ (Really charming characters ^^)

http://www.drunkduck.com/Crickets_Creature/index.php (I love the story)

http://www.drunkduck.com/Para_Ten/ (I think the art for this is gorgeous)

http://starfightercomic.com/ (Yaoi. NSFW. Still interested? ^^)

http://www.drunkduck.com/The_Optimist/index.php (Another one with great art)

dstarsboy
Veteran

#11 Post by dstarsboy »

I'm shocked at how some of these artists have the free time to do 3 full-page, high quality web comics every week.

Great list of comics there.

However, if you look at ComicPress' showcase, you'll find a TON of poorly drawn webcomics.
http://comicpress.org/forum/viewforum.p ... 624a35ea83

It's kind of sad that, generally, people will only consider them to be good if they're done by a pro. Do you guys know of any terribly drawn web comics that you loved to read? Or any extremely well drawn web comics that are awful?

Do any of the artists around the lemmasoft forums have any webcomic type of stuff going on?
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by SusanTheCat »

Here are my poorly drawn now defunct webcomics:

http://tandt.comicgenesis.com - Tracy and Tristan - WARNING! Christian content
http://www.thecatsweb.com/comic/ - The Girl with No Story - Fairy tale type world

Comics I read:
XKCD - weird nerdy stick figures - http://xkcd.com/
Bardsworth - Magic Kingdom in his closet - http://www.bardsworth.com/
Footloose - Fairy tale world meets real world - http://www.footloosecomic.com/ (It has Kung-shoe as a fighting style!)

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

EternalDream
Veteran
Completed: Secret Santa
Projects: Memory Lane

#13 Post by EternalDream »

Well, I only read korean webcomics (IDK if you are picky about the original language of these comics but...) nevertheless, I'll post some here ^_^ Sorry if these seem kind of girly in tastes but I mostly just read comics about romance...

Nineteen, Twenty One - Story revolves around cats but there is enough romance in it to make me read ;D
Noblesse - Okay, this has got to be my fav web comic EVER. So funny, interesting, and filled with action :D
Welcome to Room #305! - Deals with homophobia. (Just as a warning) I excused the art (which is lower than my standards...) since the story was okay
Orange Marmalade - I like it so far~ Even though it's about vampires... I just hope it doesn't turn too cliche
Cactus and Radio - This is more about all kinds of different stories put together... some of them are really cute
Melo Holic - About a guy with zero experience in love crushing on a girl... pretty funny lol
Crepuscule - Also about vampires, but there's no romance in it so far. Focuses more on friendship. Only a few chapters updated so far
Ya! Oee - I definitely recommend this... it's about a guy who's girlfriend got stolen by a pickle (seriously funny)

Even if you don't read the others, I seriously recommend Noblesse. OvOb (Has minimal romance, maximum humor, and awesome fight/action scenes)

dstarsboy
Veteran

#14 Post by dstarsboy »

Wow, Susan, I thought your webcomic was cute. I bet it was pretty good practice to do that regularly. If you look at your first ones and compare it to your last ones, you can actually see alot of improvement. :)

If you think about it, much like that forum post where that guy drew something every day and uploaded it and eventually became an insanely good artist, doing a regular webcomic would be excellent art practice.... although I suppose you would only get good at just drawing that style of webcomic and not much else...
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#15 Post by jack_norton »

dstarsboy wrote:I'm shocked at how some of these artists have the free time to do 3 full-page, high quality web comics every week.
Don't know about every one of them, but many webcomics make money, so while when you start probably you do it as hobby, after some YEARS it can be profitable or even quite profitable. So is not like they all do 3 pages a week just for fun, especially some like The Phoenix Requiem that have insane quality :D
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games