Game character that infuriated you the most.

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
James
Regular
Projects: The Alumnus

Re: Game character that infuriated you the most.

#16 Post by James »

Rose in Metal Gear Solid II, don't really like her in MGS VI either. The other com-link supporters were 10x better then her.

When I playing Raiden and got discovered, she calls in the middle and start to emotionally break down on me while I was dodging bullets. Seriously if I was Raiden I'll say. "Sweetie can I call you back later? I have 10 bullets in my body right now. Now is not the time to tell me how empty my room is and how that's a reflection of our relationship".
ImageImage
W.I.P. Script demo available

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#17 Post by LVUER »

Isn't what Rose said that time is symbolic?
Raiden is our avatar, the player avatar. So empty room signify that Raiden have no life. He's only an avatar, nothing more, nothing less. Though yes, I also want to slap when she suddenly break down like that in the middle of a mission. I want to say like "Honey, this is in the middle of extremely important stealth mission. Please stop talking about our private life in comm line where like 10 other people could listening to us!!!"
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#18 Post by Aleema »

Snowflower wrote:There are times when I can handle the damsel in distress MC, if it's not too emphasized. I think it's because the damsel in distress type is easy for most girls to relate to, or want to be seen as kind of type... IDK, I might be saying for myself
That may be true. I think it's the way that they're used that I get annoyed. We're just walking down the street and then something horribly awful happens to her ooh noooes. Times however long the game is.

Here's an example of "damsel in distress" I totally like: Yuna from FF10. She wasn't a weak character. She had a lot of strength and resolve, despite being kidnapped several times and the entire story being "we gotta save her!" She was a strong woman, and her constant kidnappings were actually relevant to the plot. The whole thing was about her.

Shana from LoD was kidnapped and passing out left and right for no reason. Rinoa from FF8 had the potential to be a real kickass woman, but most anytime she ever made a decision, it went horribly wrong: I'll defeat the sorceress on my own!! *turned into zombie slave* *becomes host for the most evil sorceress of all time* *gets possessed and flies out into space where you have to save her* *gets taken away because she's possessed* *gets kidnapped again and again and again why do you even bother leveling her up* (all that said, I enjoy FF8 more than most)

gundestiny
Regular

#19 Post by gundestiny »

I don't think there's 'one' particular character that has bothered me. It's more like a 'type' of character.
I hate the wimpy, 'life sucks' characters.
Fine examples would include: Faze [Star Ocean] and Hope [FFXIII]

Sure they matured(?) a little bit by the end, but they still made the game less enjoyable.. Particularly their cutscenes x.x
DeviantArt
TUMBLR
Art is a passion and hobby, nothing more for me \o/

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#20 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I really hate tacked on female supporting characters that are meant to be badass but just end up as dry husks of a woman. I can't even remember their names they were such a non event. It is like they try to make a strong female character and then fail because they forget to give her a personality you can relate to and they always end up being saved. Like the one's that are in Uncharted. So not so much a specific character, just a trend.

On that note, I hate most stereotypical characters. Characters do not need stereotypes. They are meant to be complex, not simplified. I do not need it to be simplified to the point of generics, I am perfectly capable of understanding and decoding human motives and emotions. I have only been around them my entire life. If I can't imagine meeting a person like them in real life, to feel that kind of depth, I just feel bored and wish that someone would come and put them out of their misery so they can stop ruining my game.

Suikama
Regular
Completed: Down on the Corner
Projects: Stories of an Eastern Paradise

#21 Post by Suikama »

gundestiny wrote:I hate the wimpy, 'life sucks' characters.
:3c

Abeiramar
Regular

#22 Post by Abeiramar »

Suikama wrote:
gundestiny wrote:I hate the wimpy, 'life sucks' characters.
:3c
:lol: That made me laugh so hard...

I don't have a particular character I hate... I think the type of character I dislike the most is those lady characters that are only in the show to make fanservice, they generally have skimpy outfits and a weak personality :o .

south desert islander
Regular

#23 Post by south desert islander »

Mist from the Rune Factory games. That was one of the few women where I wanted to strangle out of sheer stupidity. The woman had nothing going for her and if did decide to marry her, she gives you a bag of flour for lunch....bah.

Headache
Regular

#24 Post by Headache »

I always hated the MCs in either otome games or normal eroges.

Usually the girl in otome games is the damsel in distress, annoying and extremely oblivious to the things around her even though it was practically rubbed in her face. Sometimes they're too innocent it's unrealistic. Sometimes they're too dumb you want to slap 'em.

And the protagonists in eroges. Or normal VNs maybe? Oh God. They're such sore, whiny losers. I know I'm supposed to relate with them, but WTF? God stop being such a namby-pamby piece of crap and start being a real man! Ugh! How can females get attracted to losers like them?

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#25 Post by azureXtwilight »

Headache wrote:I always hated the MCs in either otome games or normal eroges.

Usually the girl in otome games is the damsel in distress, annoying and extremely oblivious to the things around her even though it was practically rubbed in her face. Sometimes they're too innocent it's unrealistic. Sometimes they're too dumb you want to slap 'em.

And the protagonists in eroges. Or normal VNs maybe? Oh God. They're such sore, whiny losers. I know I'm supposed to relate with them, but WTF? God stop being such a namby-pamby piece of crap and start being a real man! Ugh! How can females get attracted to losers like them?
Yessir, I agree with you :o