Regarding "The Controversy"

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Suikama
Regular
Completed: Down on the Corner
Projects: Stories of an Eastern Paradise

Re: Regarding "The Controversy"

#136 Post by Suikama »

Don't mind me, just contributing to the hgh pool

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#137 Post by sayuri »

Hmm, I remember something like this, but it's a bit hazy. Wasn't there an issue of a sockpuppet with Kinougames or was that something else entirely? It's a shame, because their game looked really interesting. The whole issue has put a bad taste in my mouth and makes me not want to support them. It's pretty unprofessional.

^Lol

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

Rhttp://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/e: Regarding "The Controve

#138 Post by lordcloudx »

That was something else entirely and the sockpuppet was me. check out username tamashiinorefuran and jinzoutamashii respectively. (tamashiinorefuran is my sockpuppet whose avatar is a parody of jinzoutamashii's.)
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Dollywitch
Veteran
Projects: Celestial Knight Iris, Thread

#139 Post by Dollywitch »

Yeah, unprofessional is a good way of putting it.

3 of her latest blog entries seem to be directed at me. She blocked me on AIM, devart etc. while continuing to blog about me. Of course she doesn't allow comments on her blog so nobody can defend themselves. At least she didn't name names. The only reason I talked to her in the first place is that I was talking to another, more respectable member of this community they're unfortunately friends with, and she pretty much demanded I talk to her after having read her blog on what had happened here. She took some pet interest in me after reading about my situation and then threw me away when I started to get tired of her irrational statements.

At first I was very sympathetic, but then we talked about Vns and stuff, and she called me racist for doing a character design that was a middle eastern woman with unnaturally blonde hair, and chewed me out for not being aware of how sensitive an issue PoCs trying to be white is, because that's obviously what the character is, and conveniently "Intent" doesn't matter, so she can project whatever she likes. It was the most frustrating experience I've had with another human being in a long time.

I'm just fascinated and relieved in some ways that I've found someone angrier than me. It makes me feel relaxed in comparison.

To make a point out of this rather than just blasting someone, I think when someone like that gets so invested in all their little flags that get raised that "allows" them to chew someone out, they will never take a step back and analyse what they're saying. This describes her behaviour, but really, it of course explains the behaviour of homophobes more often. They are too invested in their own point of view, in fact I think a lot of socially conservative viewpoints are more or less just this, it's not about the human consideration.

If you're going to blog about minority issues, people are going to judge you on how effective you are at that. Sometimes there's cause to get angry, but exploding in a thread that needs to be kept under control doesn't help.

I can be very assertive and aggressive about certain things but I try to be reasonable. I might get tetchy about things other consider small but I won't demonise them over it. You lose all right to an opinion the minute Kinnou has decided you're a bigot. I think that's the most hideously dehumanising thing you can do to a person, and it makes me question if a person like that has suffered real, genuine, dehumanising discrimination in their life.

While I will hate some people for what they say and do I try not to consider them completely beyond saving. I will always try to throw someone a rope to climb out of the hole they've dug for themselves. I really wish there was a way of getting through to this girl, but there isn't. I, as well as everyone else here, is less than human in her eyes.

Spiky Caterpillar
Veteran
Completed: Lots.
Projects: Black Closet
Organization: Slipshod

#140 Post by Spiky Caterpillar »

The controversy over controversy is more disruptive than the actual argument was.
IIRC, Kinou left not because of the first argument, but because between the people trying to 'help' resolve the argument by telling her to calm down and the people trying to make it worse by trolling all over her blog, she got the (false, I would hope) impression that this board was a wretched hive of latent homophobia, sexism, racism, and sockpuppeting.
Dollywitch wrote:I really wish there was a way of getting through to this girl, but there isn't. I, as well as everyone else here, is less than human in her eyes.
... You edited your post to add THAT?
Nom nom nom nom nom LEAVES.

Lotus
Veteran
Projects: Unnamed Slenderman VN, Secret 10560

#141 Post by Lotus »

I made a remark about heterophobia earlier in this thread, and that was probably out of my upset feelings; the remark was sparked by the heterophobic incident I was referring to (to be specific, someone wasn't even considered for a job not because he wasn't a good writer, but because he was straight. I heard of this not long before I came into this thread, and thus was still upset). Also, today I've learned that heterosexuals aren't the only ones affected by heterophobia. Heterophobia can also be when a bisexual women is shunned by the LGBT community in her neighborhood because she fell in love with a man (and also when a bi man falls in love with a woman and is shunned) {The very idea of that situation is odd to me because most if not all of the LGBT supporters I've met feel that love is love no matter the gender, but it has happened, and I can't imagine how it feels to be shunned by both the LGBT and straight communities in your area.}

When I compared heterophobia to homophobia, I wasn't trying to say that straights have it just as bad (though I can completely understand how it can be taken that way, upon retrospect. I probably shouldn't have said anything, but in a way I'm glad I did because it prompted me to find the video below). I was trying to stand true to my belief that we shouldn't discriminate against anybody because of their orientation or skin or religion or other things we can't control.

With all that being said, I present you this video.

I already knew about the challenges gays face, but this video made me cry.

I still don't think gays are justified if they discriminate against straights; I don't believe you can fight fire with fire (it only makes the flames bigger). However, I admit I was wrong when I said that heterophobia is just as damaging as homophobia. (Both are very wrong, but heterosexuals don't have to question whether or not they're a freak because of their preference in partners.)

(Edit: Yes, gays live through hell. However, they shouldn't hold all heterosexuals accountable for what homophobes do. There are a lot of straight allies.)

TL;DR : I read the replies to this thread and did research. I admit I was wrong. I stand by that we shouldn't discriminate against someone because of their orientation/race/religion/you-get-the-idea.

In other news, it's 1 AM here and I'm still not asleep because I was writing this post, even if it is completely off topic from what this thread was originally about. I think we should move this to another thread if we continue.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#142 Post by sake-bento »

I think this is a really good place for us to end this specific discussion. I do encourage open talk about anything you guys find important, but I think letting this specific thread stay open any longer isn't constructive for what we're aiming for.

I'm locking this thread. This is not an admin notice that all discussion about homophobia or discrimination should cease. This is an admin notice that discussion about one particular incident should cease, as talking about it further is now more harm than help.