Regarding "The Controversy"

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

Regarding "The Controversy"

#1 Post by Blue Lemma »

As some of you may know, there was a controversial incident here on the forum recently. My purpose here is not to rehash the details and stir things up again, but rather to respond to some things I've been seeing online, via message/email, and to try to heal things up a bit:

1) First and foremost, I should have locked or deleted the posts in question before they blew up like a barrel of dynamite. Some issues are such powder kegs that they probably shouldn't be discussed by a hugely culturally diverse group online where misunderstandings are easy, feelings are raw, and people are inclined to expect worse from each other than they would in person (Yahoo comment boards come to mind as a prime example.) Unfortunately, I did not see the posts in time. In any case, we generally lean towards letting all parties express themselves and locking threads if it's clear there is no more room for constructive discussion, rather than handing down bans and deleting posts. This inclination will probably change.

2) That said, and in spirit of that change, I deleted the two threads in question because they were only serving to drastically polarize the community and its visitors. Not because we're trying to hide something. If someone wants a copy for their own information, feel free to contact me (I'll need to extract it from a database backup first.) Maybe someone else has a copy somewhere, too (but please for the sake of all parties involved, make sure you're getting the complete unaltered thread(s).) If you feel the need to delve back into it on your own, you should make up your mind based on the complete threads, as anything else would be unfair to the posters. However, I quite honestly suggest you don't review this mess because it's just a hotbed of polarization and bad feelings. I do understand human curiosity and the desire to learn from the past, though.

2) The LSF community is overall very accepting of all kinds of people and all kinds of characters in games. It has for many years positively received games with just about any race or orientation you could imagine. Don't listen to me or anyone else about that, though. Please browse the forums and decide for yourself. Don't let anyone make up your mind for you.

3) Yes, like any community (especially one with over 100,000 posts), there is the occasional troll or jerk. Mods can't keep track of every single post, and sometimes things will slip through the cracks.

4) The "twelve hour rule" on a thread in question: I cannot speak for PyTom, but knowing him, I am pretty sure this was an attempt to force people to take time to cool down a bit and not just have an explosive back-and-forth several-hundred post argument/flame war.

There is enough hate, polarization, and general crap out there in the world, and I and the other mods try to make this a place where people can express themselves but slanted in a positive manner. Sometimes we get caught in the middle of controversial issues, personal conflicts, misunderstandings... You name it. It's not always pretty. Sometimes we make mistakes, sometimes we don't, and sometimes people think we did. Sometimes one person is hurt because he/she wants one thing, sometimes another is because he/she wanted something else... Passions flare, accusations fly, etc. (Ah, joys of the internet :roll: )

But we do this to promote VNs of all kinds, and it is at our own expense of money and/or time. Trying to stamp out spammers, paying for webhosting, and having to try to referee conflicts between people we often don't even really know isn't the most thankful job in the world, and it sure isn't a paying one. Even so, I dropped the ball on this one, and I apologize to the community and its visitors for that. I also apologize for the hurt feelings that arose from my failure as a moderator. I am personally given to seeing conflicts as misunderstandings, often expect the best from people, and support people dropping issues as such. But things aren't always that simple, the hurt on one side was more than I imagined, and that is a lesson I will carry with me.

As a plea for healing and compassion, I ask people to not harass the people involved with the threads. I don't want to name names (if you've been following the incident you will know who I'm talking about, and I don't want to encourage anyone else extra to get dragged in) but one is a great VN-author who just wants to express herself with intriguing stories, one just wants to make a business selling VNs that feature diverse characters, and one is a talented artist. To people on all ends, please drop the bad feelings. I'm sure we have more in common than we imagine :)

As a final note, I've been seeing PyTom taking some heat on certain parts of the internet. I don't know exactly what he said/did, and again, I'm not interested in rehashing things and opening up wounds. All I can say is that I have known him for years, and he is a good person. He helps everyone who asks for it, he tries to be fair, and he gives of himself for no financial gain. He's definitely libertarian-leaning (I'm more liberal, so we have, uh, "debates" all the time :wink: ) and is a staunch believer in free speech, whatever the views of the speaker. If he was in line with someone and they were being bullied for something, though, he would be among the first to stop it. (And he's an imposing dude, so it would stop :P ) Like the forum, I would ask those unfamiliar with him to interact with and get to know him before making up their minds.

[edit - This needs to be said, as it's unfortunately buried on some other page of this thread: It seems someone was posing as PyTom on another blog and attacking people with slurs. This is the internet, people. Please don't automatically believe everything is coming from who they claim to be. Especially when the trolls have obviously gotten into gear. And that is why I stuck up for PyTom and continue to do so, even though some interpret that as not caring about racism. Loyalty and facts are important in life, and we shouldn't berate or demonize friends based on allegations without knowing the whole story.]

So I guess that's all... Go forth and make and play some cool games :wink:
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Re: Regarding "The Controversy"

#2 Post by jack_norton »

Blue Lemma wrote:All I can say is that I have known him for years, and he is a good person. He helps everyone who asks for it, he tries to be fair, and he gives of himself for no financial gain.
I know him only since... well actually has been already a few years and I can confirm this. I really cannot imagine anyone being angry at him, after how much he did for the VN community! :shock:
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#3 Post by MaiMai »

In attempt to lighten the mood and as a response to this post:

Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Suikama
Regular
Completed: Down on the Corner
Projects: Stories of an Eastern Paradise

#4 Post by Suikama »

I don't see how your post has anything to do with The Controversy

:3c

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#5 Post by Samu-kun »

I have no idea what's actually going on at all. I was on vacation in San Diego the whole time, and when I came back, everyone was suddenly pissed off. You have no idea how awkward it was for me, sitting here, wondering what I missed.

Oh well, speaking as someone who paid no attention whatsoever to the whole deal, I think people are making this sound worse than it actually is and the majority of the members here are going about their business as usual.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#6 Post by lordcloudx »

Frankly, I don't think this post was really necessary It's not like this is the first time something like this has happened, eh? ... but whatever. I think even the ahem "adverse party" (interpret that however ya like) made some good points worth taking note of, though. I don't care to discuss them, but the mods should pick up on these points from within the threads and beyond, in my opinion.

I've blown my fuse (without restraint, of course :)) at the lack of action taken on thinly disguised direct/indirect attacks myself on several occasions in the past.

Over-all, though, this controversy aside, my opinion of LSF has been taking a turn for the better as of late.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#7 Post by Snowflower »

rule to myself, I don't judge until I actually meet and interact with someone.

But even then, I still know that each person has different beliefs and I fully respect that, so long as they don't try to "convert" me.

XD
ANYWAY~ LSF = <3

PyTom is amazingggg for creating renpy!
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#8 Post by Snowflower »

Oh, and to lighten up the mood, everyone should go watch this video :3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaoLU6zKaws
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

Suikama
Regular
Completed: Down on the Corner
Projects: Stories of an Eastern Paradise

#9 Post by Suikama »

Snowflower wrote:Oh, and to lighten up the mood, everyone should go watch this video :3
I see your sax man and raise you another

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#10 Post by Alera »

I don't know what else to say beside that I'm glad this all is over!!! ;w;

It wasn't the best "happy end" ever, but... :/ oh, well.

And @MaiMai! I approve your way of lightening the mood. XD
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#11 Post by Taleweaver »

Suikama wrote:
Snowflower wrote:Oh, and to lighten up the mood, everyone should go watch this video :3
There ain't no sax but this sax!
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Lotus
Veteran
Projects: Unnamed Slenderman VN, Secret 10560

#12 Post by Lotus »

Taleweaver wrote:
Suikama wrote:
There ain't no sax but this sax!
You guys are awesome, just wanted to let you all know <33

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by musical74 »

I've been a member of LSF for a long time, and I'll vouch that PyTom does a great job helping people whenever needed.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

J. Datie
Veteran

#14 Post by J. Datie »

Samu-kun wrote:I have no idea what's actually going on at all. I was on vacation in San Diego the whole time, and when I came back, everyone was suddenly pissed off. You have no idea how awkward it was for me, sitting here, wondering what I missed.
Everyone was mad because you went on vacation without telling them. Never again, Samu-nyan, never again.

Oh, and I see this thread has turned to gratuitous sax. It's only a matter of time before we get a morally bankrupt thread full of senseless violins.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#15 Post by LVUER »

J. Datie wrote:
Samu-kun wrote:I have no idea what's actually going on at all. I was on vacation in San Diego the whole time, and when I came back, everyone was suddenly pissed off. You have no idea how awkward it was for me, sitting here, wondering what I missed.
Everyone was mad because you went on vacation without telling them. Never again, Samu-nyan, never again.

Oh, and I see this thread has turned to gratuitous sax. It's only a matter of time before we get a morally bankrupt thread full of senseless violins.
LOL, I was bursting with laugh reading this one ^_^

------------

I was away for several days too when that happened. I arrived at the aftermath -_- Wish could do something about (though I doubt could do much anyway).

@Blue Lemma:
Perhaps we could have more admin? Perhaps the one who specially overlooks things like this (so his/her main responsibility is to momentarily lock thread when things goes too hot until further instruction from you or PyTom)?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW