Languages!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Anyubel
Regular
Projects: Project Miasma
Deviantart: AnyuBel

Re: Languages!

#151 Post by Anyubel »

English
Polish, enough to understand what people are saying
some French, enough to read a children's book or a label probably (took core French all of high school)

Zure
Projects: Another Story -an otome's path-
Deviantart: zuzure

#152 Post by Zure »

1. French (native)
2. Mandarin Chinese (native, but only spoken)
3. English (learned at school and practiced by reading Wikipedia and video games when I was in middle school, so I'm sorry for my mispellings :'D)
4. Spanish (some notions thanks to school)
5. Japanese (I'm trying to learn by myself)

I realized there's so much people from all around the world in this forum, so awesome! :3

mitoky
Veteran
Projects: The Purring Demon's Love, circus eterie

#153 Post by mitoky »

German (My Main Language)
English
Polish (Speech only, i can't read/write it)
And i learned French but frankly my knowledge does not go far beyond introductions xD

The_Trainer

#154 Post by The_Trainer »

Hello everybody!! Im new here and trying to build my own game.

My first language is SPANISH!
ENGLISH too!

Looking for friends who speak spanish, please send some PM! :mrgreen:

Bertran
Regular
Projects: Run, Kitty!
Deviantart: bertranway

#155 Post by Bertran »

1. Russian
2. English (not so good)

I think, that's all!

chlorofinite
Regular
Projects: Cicada
Organization: Sweet Rose Tea

#156 Post by chlorofinite »

First language and the language I speak without thinking is American English. Raised (and still living in) the Houston area in Texas, USA, a few of my words have a bit of a twang or Southern sound to them. There's also stuff like "I don't" ending up as "aon't" and "isn't" as "idn't". It's not too severe of an accent though.

I know much more Japanese than I should, having little interest in going to Japan ever. The only actual studying I did was learning to read kana around fifth grade, and at this point I personally think my reading speed is decent for someone who's otherwise never actively studied the language. Other than that, I've just picked stuff up from browsing the internet and whatever's relevant to my interests. I myself probably sound like a fake-cutesy internet teen when I practice, but whatever. In the end I know enough to correct weebs who don't even know the language is subject-object-verb.

I'd like to learn Irish Gaelic to some extent someday.
(insert after-post anxiety here)

morg
Regular
Projects: Cupid's Affair
Tumblr: n-morg

#157 Post by morg »

1.English
2.Arabic
3.British Sign Language
4.I used to speak French fluently as a kid but forget it due to lack of use :(

and I'd like to learn German just because I really like the way it sounds.

hoihoisoi
Regular
Projects: The Lost Sheep Of Purgatory 「煉獄の亡羊」
Organization: House Of Duematrix
Tumblr: HouseOfDuematrix

#158 Post by hoihoisoi »

1. English (My best)
2. Chinese, Mandarin (Can do a bit of everything from speaking to writing to reading - The simplified version not the old style chinese)
3. Japanese (Still in the midst of learning. Speaking and reading only. Using a Romaji keyboard helps with the writing, but the physical writing is completely out of my league. Those old Chinese characters for Kanji they use are all very confusing even for a simplified Chinese learner like me.)
Current Active Project:
[Mystery, Comedy, Drama]
[Kinetic Novel]

Check it out by clicking on the siggy above!

chocoberrie
Veteran
Projects: Marshmallow Days

#159 Post by chocoberrie »

Wow, so many different languages here! That's great :D

As for me:

1. English (native)
2. Arabic (Sorta native? I grew up learning it with English at the same time, but I can't read or write it - just speaking.)
3. French (I studied it in middle and high school, but I rarely use it in daily life, so it's quite rusty, unfortunately.)
4. Japanese (Studying it on my own for the past few years on/off, so my progress is a bit slow.)

ElectricBlaze1

#160 Post by ElectricBlaze1 »

I speak English, Spanish, German, and Hebrew--fluent in the first two, formerly fluent in the last.

Karamelow
Veteran
Projects: Fujiwara BitterSweet
Organization: Magic Bench/Karamelow

#161 Post by Karamelow »

So much different languages here! I'm impressed x)
As for me it's :

1. French (Native speaker here)
2. English (Since it's the international language and it's really useful! I can read it fluently [there is sometimes some terms that I don't really understand though], write it more or less correctly, but can't really speak beacuse of my horrible French accent [but I can understand people if they speak clearly]).
3. I used to speak a bit of Italian with my grandma when I was little, but now I can barely understand basic sentences (> o <)
4. I try to learn Japanese. I can understand really basic sentences or words if they are spoken but I can't read it at all!

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

#162 Post by runeraccoon »

Ohhh nice thread.

1. Bahasa Indonesia. Native and daily use.
2&3. Sundanese/Javanese. Comes from mother/father side, respectively. Local language in Indonesia. Know enough to follow the conversation, but I can't form my own sentences for the love of my life. My Sundanese is better, though.
4. English (American). Enough to pass TOEFL decently, I'm at the same level as the next netizen. The language I enjoy the most for my choice of entertainment.
5. Japanese. Studied in university, now amateur translator/interpreter level... is what I want to say, but it takes me too long to process it to be a legit translator. I hone this language by reading raw manga and web novels regularly. N-not that it's my goal to study Japanese in the first place, just so you know! Hmph.

Also some phrases and greetings in Arabic and Germany, but not enough for holding conversation. I also picked up Esperanto a few months back, but it's not sticking to my head, probably because I only studied it for 4 days orz.

MarkusLappalainen
Regular
Completed: Several short films and games (including VNs)
Projects: A feature film, a short film and my own music
Organization: Audio Cabin from the North
Soundcloud: Markus Lappalainen

#163 Post by MarkusLappalainen »

Quite a colorful collection of languages :)

1 Finnish (native)
2 English
3 Norwegian/Swedish (75 % same language)
4 Danish (I can read very well, listening is very very very difficult)

Then I know some Italian words and phrases because of music theory studies (a lot of italian terminology).
Have a happy day! 8)
- Markus Lappalainen, composer & music consultant
Scoring Portfolio

kirlySenpai
Regular
Deviantart: lakirly
itch: lakirly

#164 Post by kirlySenpai »

Hi!!! This is mi first post XD So, sorry for my bad grammar:

1 Spanish = I'm from Colombia so, the spanish es mi first language.

2 English = I can't speak, but I can read and I can writte it a little, because I have a bad grammar.

3 Japanese = I'm taking classes.

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#165 Post by thebackup »

Oooh~

1. English - native

2. Tagalog - just a few words and phrases, being a Filipino born in the USA. For example, I would refer to my older cousins "ate" (pron. "ah-tay, big sister), or "kuya" (big brother); my siblings and cousins do the same as well, despite not being fluent in the language.

3. Spanish - took classes in high school and college. Mostly forgot it by now due to lack of use, but still know a few phrases.
Fun fact: Tagalog "Kumusta" is derived from Spanish "¿Cómo estás?" (how are you?).

4. Japanese - pretty much very basic stuff (like common phrases), thanks to anime and manga. I -can- read hiragana and katakana and get an idea of how they're read and pronounced, but not necessarily understand the words and context they form in a sentence. And thanks to a book I got last Christmas, the meaning of some kanji and their pronunciations.