Languages!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Languages!

#136 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Edit:

*deep breathe* And calm. Not worth getting angry over.
Last edited by Auro-Cyanide on Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#137 Post by Wright1000 »

I never claimed that my grammar is perfect, did I?
So, if someone says this his grammar is perfect, he shouldn't make such mistakes.
He deserves to be made fun of.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

#138 Post by Wright1000 »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:Have you ever heard the saying 'Don't throw stones in glass houses'? Cause it kind of applies here. Unless you can get everything 100% correct every single time (which you can't given the above sentence) it's kind of rude and hypocritical to poke fun at others.
Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something. But there is another class of people who doesn't even know what they are saying.
The actual quote is "HE WHO LIVES IN A GLASSHOUSE SHOULD NOT THROW STONES AT OTHERS." From now on, don't use quotes if you don't know what they mean. Don't use them if you can't remember them correctly.

babyfish
Veteran
Projects: Maid of Midsummer (LifeSim)
Location: (' )< Swimming in your fishbowl, nomming on flakes.

#139 Post by babyfish »

Wright1000 wrote:
Auro-Cyanide wrote:Have you ever heard the saying 'Don't throw stones in glass houses'? Cause it kind of applies here. Unless you can get everything 100% correct every single time (which you can't given the above sentence) it's kind of rude and hypocritical to poke fun at others.
Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something. But there is another class of people who doesn't even know what they are saying.
The actual quote is "HE WHO LIVES IN A GLASSHOUSE SHOULD NOT THROW STONES AT OTHERS." From now on, don't use quotes if you don't know what they mean. Don't use them if you can't remember them correctly.
Wright1000, I think the point that Auro-Cyanide is trying to make is that you could try being a little nicer to the people on this forum. =)
(Work in progress)

(' )< -babyfish

Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran

#140 Post by Wright1000 »

The point is moot because I wasn't being rude in the first place.
That's how I usually talk.

Michiyo6918
Veteran
Projects: ╮(╯▽╰)╭

#141 Post by Michiyo6918 »

*Staring at other people's lists in jealousy*

This is my list:
1. Vietnamese [My mother language, I'm fluently at this, I write Vietnamese novel.]
2. English [Have studied it only 1 year until now (Most self-study and from cartoon, comic. Poor at this... my vocabulary and grammar are like... =^=, frequently make stupid mistake in both writing and speaking. I'm trying my best right now because I just moved to US...)]
3. French [I won't say it my second language although I've studied it like... 9 years. I've forgot almost all of it! It just seem like I'm not really into French...]
4. Japanese [Self-study, most from comic and cartoon. I can understand what people are saying but can not read the Japanese words... Hiragana, Kanji,...]
5. Chinese [A little bit, most from translating Chinese novel into Vietnamese novel, but yeah, have the help of some translating program.]

AlexBlack

#142 Post by AlexBlack »

1. Russian [My main language]
2. English [The first language I learned in school]

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#143 Post by Donmai »

AlexBlack wrote:1. Russian [My main language]
2. English [The first language I learned in school]
Hey, thanks for bringing this thread back from hibernation. I hope other new (and not so new) members will be making posts here.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Evy
Regular
Projects: Meet Me At Sea, All That Glitters
Organization: Paper Parrot
Tumblr: clysmian
itch: clysmian

#144 Post by Evy »

First language is (Canadian) French. I started learning English at the age of 3.

I took classes for Spanish and German, but I don't remember much of anything since they were only for a semester each. The Spanish class was... an awful experience...

And then I've been kinda-sorta learning Japanese through anime and such for the past... uh, 17 years? I can't find any formal lessons in my area so I don't think I could even manage to carry a basic conversation. :x

Nyankar
Projects: Primer Fantasia
Organization: TTTiGR3 Estudios AR

#145 Post by Nyankar »

Spanish Latin ("old" spanish) - Main language / Spanish Spain ( "new" spanish) -
English - I suck D: (I can read/talk but not write it)
French - Very basic (school)
Italian - Basic (school)
Portuguese - Moderate
Graphic designs

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#146 Post by Donmai »

Nyankar wrote:Portuguese - Moderate
I would also rate my Spanish as "moderate". I guess that means we are also able to speak "Portuñol". For those who live outside South America: Portuñol (something like "Spanguese" in English) is an unnoficial language, a mixture of Portuguese and Spanish, spoken occasionally by tourists or people who live near Brazil's borders. As Portuguese and Spanish have some similarities and many many many differences, Portuñol speakers must be prepared for some embarrassing situations, or for having a good laugh.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#147 Post by Mammon »

Dutch (native), English (fluent-ish) and german (I can understand but not speak it)
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

#148 Post by Scribbles »

English (american/native)
some Spanish (I think specifically Mexico Spanish? I know there were differences with Spain Spanish but I can't remember what they were) -- I'd love to speak Spanish better I am not great at it. and I can't roll my r's *shame*
I can understand a tiny bit of Japanese (from years of anime) and Latin(from school) -- Like a few words/phrases that's it lol

I wish I knew more > <
Image - Image -Image

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#149 Post by Ghost of Crux »

sadly flops here

1. Indonesian [Mother tongue] I'm actually really bad at it because I spent almost half my short life not in my own country thanks to dad's job. In fact, I was more fluent in French than Indonesian when I was in second grade.
2. English [Technically fourth, effectively second] Learned it myself (by force) when I moved to an English speaking country without knowing how to speak it.
3. German [In process of learning] Internship there next year, hopefully. University made it compulsory, since their primary partner is TU Ilmenau.

As a child I spoke French and to a lesser degree, Arabic, since I spent around three years in Morocco. Sadly I've forgotten both, though I plan to relearn French sometime soon.
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#150 Post by Kokoro Hane »

In the order you learnt?

1. English (I'm American, but my spelling is becoming more and more British by the day)
2. Filipino [Tagalog] (I'm half Filipino, so I know a lot of random words and phrases, hope to actually speak it properly one day)
3. Japanese (Learnt up to 102, I've forgotten some but still retain many words and how to construct basic sentences, as well as still able to read Hiragana and some Kanji combinations)
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"