Languages!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Rilxi

Re: Languages!

#106 Post by Rilxi »

1. American English <-- Native Tongue. I wish I could say I was fluent but my spelling is atrocious. Thank God for spell check!
2. Spanish <-- Grew up hearing it spoken some at home and at school/out in public. I understand a lot better than I speak it. I'm taking Spanish in college now and learning that most of what I have actually been speaking and hearing my whole life is South Texas slang/Spanglish. Who knew!

I almost can't count these really....

3. Japanese <-- A bit of grammar and vocabulary. It's more of a hobby than a study though... :(
4. Latin <-- A whole year in school and now all I remember is a few words.
5. Italian/German <-- I know a few phrases and words in each language but not enough to qualify them for their own rank.
I support Tailor Tales!

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#107 Post by Desu_Cake »

English- First Language.
Irish- Been studying since I was four.
French- Studied at Secondary school i.e. since I was 12 'till I was 17.
Japanese- Just started properly studying recently.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#108 Post by OtomeWeekend »

*Already posted but due to time spent here in Japan, need to change MANY rankings*

1. Japanese- Being more fluent now. Speaking and writing it. Used everyday...I'm more used in speaking Okayama accent lately since i live here but I can speak Tokyo and Osaka accent(plus, after playing a lot of historical games, old accent too) currently my native language.
2. Filipino- I was born in Philippines, studied from kinder to 2nd year.... but spending exactly only 7 months here in japan has made me forget a LOT of filipino words TT.TT
3. English- Learned it in Philippines since kinder too. I was good at english back in the Philippines but studying japanese makes me fail at english lately.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Tag-
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Circo della Sera

#109 Post by Tag- »

1. (Australian) English. Our english tends to be a mix between American and British...

2. Vietnamese (My parents' background, I've grown up talking to them with it.)

And I don't really like learning languages so these are the only two I'm fluent in, although English is definitely my prominent.
PM me if needed

Junker-Kun
Regular
Completed: Manga Club
Organization: Mr's Hedgehogs team

#110 Post by Junker-Kun »

1) Russian. That's my first language, yay! Actually, I honestly think it's the most idiotic language, as it's almost as hard as Chineese because of it's strange rules.

2) English. I think more American. Studied it in school for 10 years. Not quite good in it actually.

3) Korean. Well, I AM Korean after all =) Began to study it myself. Reading a textbook this days. Obviously, don't know anything but basic grammar.
"Don’t be sad. Even if the world won’t forgive you, I’ll forgive you.
Don’t be sad. Even if you won’t forgive the world, I’ll forgive you.
So please tell me. How do I make you forgive me?"

Frederica Bernkastel

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#111 Post by Sapphi »

Junker-Kun wrote:1) Russian. That's my first language, yay! Actually, I honestly think it's the most idiotic language, as it's almost as hard as Chineese because of it's strange rules.
Ahhh! Is my Russian book lying to me? :shock:
"Russian is not a difficult language. The grammar is simple and straightforward; Russian words are pronounced more or less as they are written; and word-order presents few difficulties."

Well, I always thought English was the most idiotic language because of its strange rules... but I guess it redeems itself by being very flexible.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Junker-Kun
Regular

#112 Post by Junker-Kun »

Ahhh! Is my Russian book lying to me? :shock:
"Russian is not a difficult language. The grammar is simple and straightforward; Russian words are pronounced more or less as they are written; and word-order presents few difficulties."
In that way yes, Russian IS easy. But when you come to a suffixes and other word parts (I honestly don't know how they're called in English) it's just a pain in the ass. For example the superlative degree of word "сладкий", which means "sweet", is "слаще". And the next is "наисладчайший" (or "самый сладкий") which means "sweetest". But if you use the word "соленый" ("salty") the degrees will be "солонее" and "самый соленый", "наисолонейший" will be wrong in this case. Just note how much the words are changing. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Frederica Bernkastel

Veniae
Veteran

#113 Post by Veniae »

Oh, I started learning Russian last year, but I'm Bulgarian and they have quite a few similarities. At least the alphabet is the same in the most part.

But yeah, the suffixes are... weird, to say the least. What I find really peculiar, though, is the lack of present tense of the verb "am". I mean, what the heck?

Junker-Kun
Regular

#114 Post by Junker-Kun »

Veniae wrote:But yeah, the suffixes are... weird, to say the least. What I find really peculiar, though, is the lack of present tense of the verb "am". I mean, what the heck?
Nah, it exists, just not used in present tense. So literal translation of "I am" is "Я есть" but in Russian you say just "Я".

Frederica Bernkastel

AriaAi
Regular
Projects: Go! Youth!
Deviantart: JunnChii
Soundcloud: JunnChii

#115 Post by AriaAi »

1: Hmong
(It's probably my first language considering it's my ethnicity. But after going to American schools for so long, I can only speak the Hmong basics now, let alone barely being able to read it. :') I remember the times I used to be able to speak it fluently as a child. -sobs-)

2: English
(With me living in America (is a Native born), I've obviously know a lot of English. I wouldn't say that I know all there is to know. I at least know all of the basics and hopefully more than that. Haha.)

3: Japanese
(I've been self-studying Japanese and their culture for about a year or so now. I can understand most of it and answer back to basic questions, but the only thing that troubles me is that I can barely write Japanese even though I can read Hiragana and Katakana. I still have to learn a lot of Kanji to be able to fully understand and utilize the language correctly.)

4: French/Spanish
(Okay, I'm sure we've all had to learn some languages in our high school days. . . . Even though I'm still in high school myself. //shot.)
//is still learning French but stopped Spanish this year.

mapletaffy
Regular

#116 Post by mapletaffy »

1. Filipino - My native tounge~
2. English - Although I don't use English in real life (even we have an english only policy at school) XD
3. Japanese - I just learning it by myself and I'm not fluent. (I don't know why did I put it here XD)

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#117 Post by ririruetoo »

1. English- I live in America
2.Japanese-well, I don't know it yet, but I'm studying it right now, so in a few years it WILL be the second language I know!
ImageImageImage

cloudyssky
Veteran
Completed: Alone
Projects: Many failed ones

#118 Post by cloudyssky »

1) English - Born and raised in the US.

2) Studying some Japanese. Plan to study more intensely in the summer.

3) Plan on studying Russian in the summer as well.

4) Spanish - Learning in school. I don't know enough. No me gusta la clase de espanol.
Projects:
Alone- (Horror/Sci-Fi) Complete! Link
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.
{Last worked on Sept/28 : Word count (coding and all) ~4500}

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#119 Post by DragoonHP »

--> Hindi (Mother Tongue)
--> Sanskrit...
--> English
--> Japanese (Hiragana and a bit of Katakana...)
--> French (My entire vocabulary is limited to around 100 or 200 words...)

--> 2 or 3 local languages

Celestie
Veteran

#120 Post by Celestie »

ririruetoo wrote: 2.Japanese-well, I don't know it yet, but I'm studying it right now, so in a few years it WILL be the second language I know!
WHY, SAME HERE~ The part with studying the language now, starting this semester, I mean. Let's talk in Japanese in a few years xDDDD
*pending signature, as in, I don't have any if this signature doesn't allow any 100px high images TAT*